DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

I just remember one of the legendary Cactus Jack anti-hardcore promos where he talks about the magic of WCW "Where a tough Jewish kid from Brooklyn becomes a black man from Macon, Georgia."

He also refers to PN News in that promo. Something along the lines of a kid from Nebraska becoming a rap superstar.

• Like 1

I'm watching ECW Hardcore TV in order starting from when it became "Extreme" (so I started mid-August 1994), and most of this material is new-ish for me since I didn't even know ECW existed until 1997. Its a well done TV show, I can see why it was popular at the time, but I do think an hour is a great length for a wrestling show (probably one reason I love Lucha Underground) since it forces the promotion to be compact. The Dreamer/Sandman angle was fun but man I hadn't seen the Matt Borne stuff before. I know his claims and other's claims of why he was suddenly gone for ECW differ, but he got a fair amount of promo time and then *poof* with no explanation. Which happens in smaller promotions. I also didn't realize how big a part of ECW that Public Enemy was, it feels like 20% of the last six or so episodes have focused on them.

Its been an easy watch and is good background noise, looking forward to seeing how they introduce some of the wrestlers I think of when I think of "ECW" such as Raven, Van Dam, and The Gangstas. So far it has held up better than I was expecting, not that there have been any ***** matches but the bad matches are short and the storylines still feel interesting.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So at the MSG house show in March (3/16) - they are running John Cena and Nikki Bella vs. Elias and Bayley

So that is interesting for a whole lotta reasons

Can you elaborate? Maybe they're liking this pairing and want to keep Bayley with him for awhile? She could definitely use something new for a bit.

Or given the timing does that suggest they might actually win the tournament? That seems unlikely considering the other competitors in the tournament.

Or maybe they just want to give them some practice as a team during the tournament? Not sure about the timing.

Bayley & Elias' match is this coming Tuesday, though. So I doubt they'd schedule them a match at MSG with Cena & Nikki a month away just to give them practice. I mean, why aren't Balor & Banks, Asuka & Miz, etc. getting matches on the house shows together to practice being a team for a few more weeks?

I also don't think it suggests they're winning the tournament, because Elias & Bayley (if they win against Rusev & Lana) will be facing off against either Nia Jax & Apollo Crews or Bobby Roode & Charlotte a few days before the match with Cena & Nikki. FWIW, the Mixed Match Challenge Finals will be after the go-home WM Smackdown show.

I think, if anything, it suggests Cena & Elias are going to be working together for a few more months.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, I don't like Low-Ki either.

I look forward to the outcome of Ki vs. Ziggler in the finals of the DVDVR Most Shoot  Hated Tourney.

(Just kidding ... Orton's a lock to win it.)

• Like 2

Watching the 2002 RAW with Austin/Rock vs Hogan/Hall/Nash. 

That's a lot of historical drawing power in one ring. I almost feel like one of them should have been left behind as a Designated Survivor.

It's a solid match and does a nice job setting up Hogan v Rock at Mania a few weeks later. 

8 minutes ago, nate said:

I look forward to the outcome of Ki vs. Ziggler in the finals of the DVDVR Most Shoot  Hated Tourney.

(Just kidding ... Orton's a lock to win it.)

Even pre-rape allegation Enzo was pretty hated. Look no further than the constant bitching in the 205 Live thread.

13 hours ago, nofuture said:

Graves won't have to keep looking over his shoulder at Starbucks.

It is awesome and sad they managed to work so many people. Even I half believed it even though I had heard Corey talking about how much he loved Booker from a snippet of a shoot interview just a few days before it all blew up.