DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

7 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Hall's issues were present long before he ever became a famous wrestler.

I didn't realize the extent of this until that absolutely brilliant ESPN piece a few years ago. And going back to the Nash stuff on the last page, it totally put the "Scott has PTSD from some things that happened earlier in his life" things he'd tiptoe around into perspective (not that I've ever met either guy outside of a quick handshake and hello, but just saying)

Nash's big secret is he cared a lot. You watch him as booker in 99 and you can see he is killing himself to get things over. Not that he succeeded, but it was obvious he cared. Guys like Ole were content to collect checks and let the ship sink without investing personally. 

15 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Could you make a case that Owen wasn't that into it? From what I remember reading he was just in it because it's what the family did... he just happened to be amazing at it. 

His family give the impression he had to downplay any love he had to appease his wife. 

15 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Did Barry Windham really love the business? I can't think of a guy that left more money on the table. 

Barry married a rich lady and was not fully dependent upon his income to live. He did get him and Bradshaw booked in AJPW to pay for Christmas that year. Though that could have been to help Bradshaw out. 

From shoot interviews, it sounds like he loved wrestling but was not going to eat shit for anyone. He told a story about quitting creative on Bill Watts because Watts was treating him poorly. Telling Watts he was not making an extra dime working creative and even if he was he would not tolerate being treated poorly. 

He also still holds ill feelings that Flair refused to put him over for the World belt in 91. Even if it was obvious Herd was trying to manipulate Flair thru Barry. 

Barry is an all time favorite and should have been as big as Lex and Sting. By 99 it bummed me out to see him as a successful midcard guy while Lex and Sting were still main eventers. 

• Like 3

On 2/8/2018 at 11:56 AM, Hagan said:

Just read the blurb in WON about how WWE wants to use Rousey to make Stephanie a bigger mainstream name. I mean, whatever, but it did remind that it's pretty clear that Stephanie is gearing up for a political career. It was Linda's dream and she's in government now and Stephanie has been laying the groundwork for herself as an ambassador and spokeswomen for various causes for years and trying to establish herself as not just a wrestling executive. She could probably win a Congressional seat in Connecticut.

Couple pages back, but I don't think this is true at all. She lives in a D+7 district, and Connecticut is so blue there isn't even an oddly-shaped token R district she could move to. She wouldn't do any better than Linda statewide. A republican running in a blue wave year in an already deep blue state is DOA without even getting into WWE's shoddy business record and the large quantity of publicly available footage of her reveling in taking people's jobs. I guess she could break with her family and try to run as a dem, but rich pro-business centrist dems aren't exactly in style these days (and probably will be much less so in 2020), and that's before taking into account how poorly all the pics with her and Trump together will play, Linda in the Trump admin, etc.

If Steph thinks she has a national political career ahead of her, that's just another example of a McMahon over-valuing themselves.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Coming this weekend to Fire Pro World:

For one night only, Seth Rollins and Jason Jordan - the New Harlem Heat.  Along with their manager, Donald Trump.

Forget that - 8 person mixed tag.  My Fire Pro is getting Graves/Neville/Mandy Rose/Eva Marie vs Harlem Heat/Sherri/Seth Rollins this weekend.

7 hours ago, Victator said:

Nash's big secret is he cared a lot. You watch him as booker in 99 and you can see he is killing himself to get things over. Not that he succeeded, but it was obvious he cared.

I agree completely with this. Any time he goes off on some "I'm not a mark, I was just in it for the money" tangent in a shoot interview, I get a "doth protest too much" vibe....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Coming this weekend to Fire Pro World:

For one night only, Seth Rollins and Jason Jordan - the New Harlem Heat.  Along with their manager, Donald Trump.

Related question: Wasn't there a period where Kole and Kane were brought to the ring in chains by Col. Parker?

14 minutes ago, nate said:

Related question: Wasn't there a period where Kole and Kane were brought to the ring in chains by Col. Parker?

IIRC, it was filmed but never aired. They were supposed to be convicts on a chain gang, but someone eventually realized just how fucking bad it looked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

IIRC, it was filmed but never aired. They were supposed to be convicts on a chain gang, but someone eventually realized just how fucking bad it looked.

According to Brian Pillman's book, it was Sid's idea. It was Bischoff who immediately shot it down. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

According to Brian Pillman's book, it was Sid's idea. It was Bischoff who immediately shot it down. 

I was thinking they did it at a couple house shows, but can't find any evidence of that.  In any case, yeah, Bischoff shot it down the day of a tv taping.  I think I remember an interview with Michael Hayes where he claimed it was Ole's idea, so not really sure if it was his or Sid's idea.  Sid was the one who lobbied for them to get brought in to WCW.

Supposedly, the idea was that Kane and Kole would be convicts and Col. Parker would be "boss' of the chain gang.  Of course, the optics were bad and they probably would have looked more like slaves.  One aspect of the gimmick did make it to tv.  Harlem Heat wore orange jumpsuits to the ring for a couple weeks (with their "convict numbers' covered by tape).

I'm kinda surprised they thought (correctly) that this gimmick was too racist, but decided to run with a really tan white guy pretending to be black and doing a Little Richard/flamboyantly gay gimmick.  On paper, Badd's gimmick looks like an even more offensive idea.  Granted, Badd's gimmick would never get past the "frozen nazi with a Jewish manager" stage today.

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I was thinking they did it at a couple house shows, but can't find any evidence of that.  In any case, yeah, Bischoff shot it down the day of a tv taping.  I think I remember an interview with Michael Hayes where he claimed it was Ole's idea, so not really sure if it was his or Sid's idea.  Sid was the one who lobbied for them to get brought in to WCW.

Supposedly, the idea was that Kane and Kole would be convicts and Col. Parker would be "boss' of the chain gang.  Of course, the optics were bad and they probably would have looked more like slaves.  One aspect of the gimmick did make it to tv.  Harlem Heat wore orange jumpsuits to the ring for a couple weeks (with their "convict numbers' covered by tape).

I'm kinda surprised they thought (correctly) that this gimmick was too racist, but decided to run with a really tan white guy pretending to be black and doing a Little Richard/flamboyantly gay gimmick.  On paper, Badd's gimmick looks like an even more offensive idea.  Granted, Badd's gimmick would never get past the "frozen nazi with a Jewish manager" stage today.

Spoiler

lesnar-heyman-raw.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 17

Nash has always had his eye on the pay cheque and where he's positioned but to say he had no passion for the business is ludicrous otherwise he wouldn't still be making indie dates prior to his recent surgery.

Hes one of the guys Austin always talks about regarding constantly talking the biz and booking the territory, so many here seem to be confusing passion with effort - He's not gonna kill himself to put on a five star match when he's getting paid the same regardless, and I respect that more than I respect a nutcase like Benoit.

• Like 4