DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

I'm not one to discuss politics, but we've already reached Idiocracy. 

HHH coming out to Motorhead anytime he has to make a speech would be pretty badass. Shit, I bet HHH would want to put a statue of Lemmy on the front lawn of the White House.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not one to discuss politics, but we've already reached Idiocracy. 

HHH coming out to Motorhead anytime he has to make a speech would be pretty badass. Shit, I bet HHH would want to put a statue of Lemmy on the front lawn of the White House.

Truthfully, whether one  agrees with their political views or not and despite early HHH's childish/dickish antics, Steph and Hunter are intelligent and well spoken. Hunter has proven himself to have vision. 

Current events prove we could do a helluva lot worse in all levels of elected or appointed office. 

And yes, Motorhead should be the official theme tune.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hagan said:

Just read the blurb in WON about how WWE wants to use Rousey to make Stephanie a bigger mainstream name. I mean, whatever, but it did remind that it's pretty clear that Stephanie is gearing up for a political career. It was Linda's dream and she's in government now and Stephanie has been laying the groundwork for herself as an ambassador and spokeswomen for various causes for years and trying to establish herself as not just a wrestling executive. She could probably win a Congressional seat in Connecticut.

So, anyway, pumped for First Man Paul  in 2028. You thought he was burying people backstage. Just wait until they get into the White House.  

Any McMahon political talk needs that Vince gasping gif after Linda’s previous defeat. 

• Like 2

Is there anyone who made it big in wrestling who is less RASSLIN IS MUH LIFE than Kevin Nash? It was just a job to him. He likes talking about it, and he's happy for the fame and money. But it wasn't in his blood the way it is for Foley or Bret or a lot of the young guys today. 

Okay, maybe Warrior was more that way than Nash, even, which is part of what got him heat with people like Bret. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Is there anyone who made it big in wrestling who is less RASSLIN IS MUH LIFE than Kevin Nash? It was just a job to him. He likes talking about it, and he's happy for the fame and money. But it wasn't in his blood the way it is for Foley or Bret or a lot of the young guys today. 

Okay, maybe Warrior was more that way than Nash, even, which is part of what got him heat with people like Bret. 

I'd say any of the guys from the 80s who were plucked from gyms or bouncing gigs, like the Road Warriors, Rude, Luger, etc.  None of them were marks for wrestling.  But yeah, Nash is probably the biggest when you factor in how little he cared (pretty much not at all), how far he got (main eventer, top guy during a boom period), and how he ended up (not dead or in a wheelchair).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Hearing Nash on Austin's podcast, it seemed like he goes out of his way to say things like that to rile smart fans up. When he was describing the feeling of being in the hotel room with the WWF title after going over Backlund at MSG, it made me feel like he's gotta at least love it a little. Whether that's bullshit in itself, who knows, but other than a select few, I can't think of a more fun shoot interview subject than Nash, that's for sure, regardless of whether he's working or half-truthing or what.

• Like 1

It's true. I always enjoy listening to him talk. I have never heard the Backlund story, though. 

I didn't intend to criticize Nash for not being a lifer obsessive type. (that mindset can lead to stuff like in Bret's book, where he sometimes seems like he forgets he's in the carny business and not the sports business)  It's just an observation I have about it from time to time. 

• Like 1

Just now, RolandTHTG said:

The hot take I got from Bret's book is that he never felt good enough for his old man as he never made it as an amateur/went to the Olympics.

That makes perfect sense. 

I need to re-read it one of these days. I read it right when it came out, so that's got to be at least 10 years. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Goldberg

• Like 4

Serena Deeb now a trainer at NXT. 

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/serena-deeb-wwe-performance-center-coach-interview?sf181619146=1

It’s just an incredibly well-oiled machine at this point. It always was, but it’s been very interesting to see the evolution. I started in OVW, I was there for five years and then I was in FCW, so I got to experience a lot of the different locker rooms and environments. NXT is … I don’t want to say it’s what it always should have been, but it’s kind of what they always were striving for, and it finally is what it is.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Could you make a case that Owen wasn't that into it? From what I remember reading he was just in it because it's what the family did... he just happened to be amazing at it. 

Does Tiny Lister count? :)

Did Barry Windham really love the business? I can't think of a guy that left more money on the table. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'd say any of the guys from the 80s who were plucked from gyms or bouncing gigs, like the Road Warriors, Rude, Luger, etc.  None of them were marks for wrestling.  But yeah, Nash is probably the biggest when you factor in how little he cared (pretty much not at all), how far he got (main eventer, top guy during a boom period), and how he ended up (not dead or in a wheelchair).

Scott Hall is another guy thst knew better than to be a mark for himself. All he wanted was to get paid - same as Nash. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Could you make a case that Owen wasn't that into it? From what I remember reading he was just in it because it's what the family did... he just happened to be amazing at it.  

I don't know that much about Owen. But if it's true, then it means he died doing something he didn't even like. And it makes his end even more tragic. (if such a thing were possible)

23 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Scott Hall is another guy thst knew better than to be a mark for himself. All he wanted was to get paid - same as Nash. 

For a guy who was working as grounds crew for the Charlotte O’s when the Crocketts owned them, he did okay for himself. :)

56 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Goldberg

Yeah he was my first thought. Nash and the other guys at least had some fun and made lifelong friends. Goldberg seemed to always be removed from the rest of the locker room and all about business. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

I don't know that much about Owen. But if it's true, then it means he died doing something he didn't even like. And it makes his end even more tragic. (if such a thing were possible)

A lot of people have died while working at a job they weren't passionate about. I'd say most people that have died on the job. And even if he loved it I'm sure he would've bounced in a second if he knew he'd die doing it.  

Owen also made good money and seemed to have a ball goofing around with his friends and family at work. He just put his wife and kids first. 

• Like 1

I would think, generally speaking, 2nd/3rd generation workers would have a different attitude toward the business than others. Especially, a promoter’s son. Growing up in the Hart House in Calgary was probably anything but “normal.”

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Does Tiny Lister count? :)

Did Barry Windham really love the business? I can't think of a guy that left more money on the table. 

I don't think he loved it, but he got out of it what he wanted to, and good on him.  Paraphrasing Flair, "as long as Barry had $5000 in the bank, a nice car, and a hot girl, he was happy." 

That's the next question: is there anyone with a higher "talent to not really caring all that much about wrestling" ratio than Windham or maybe Owen?

15 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

I might put Slaughter from the 80s in this convo. Obviously he became a WWF lifer but from reading Bret's book, he seemed to think that Slaughter didn't really like working for Vince but would've been happier doing something else but couldn't walk away b/c he was making huge money at the time.