DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Is it true or is it urban legend that Jannetty had to perform a rocker dropper in the courtroom on gym mats to demonstrate how "safe" it is?

That I don't know, but I did find this.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/footage-of-marty-jannetty-paralyzing-chuck-austin.3152733/

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Too bad it won’t be held in Rio, with Patterson and Dibiase presenting the winner with his belt. 

I’ll show up to replace uncle Ted. As long as I don’t get what’s left of Zika, I’m down. 

Remarkably

The WWF countered by actually bring wrestling mats inside the courtroom and having Jannetty perform the exact same Rocker Dropper move on none other than Dean Malenko. Malenko, at that time, was being utilized by the WWF as a referee while in the Tampa area. The jury sympathized with Chuck Austin and felt that the WWF were both careless and callous towards Austin’s pain and suffering.

bsnevftiqaeh7j.jpg?w=300&h=293

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The WWE has finally - officially - pulled Jason Jordan from the road

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-pulls-jason-jordan-road-due-injury-251276

http://www.wwe.com/article/jason-jordan-surgery-february-2018 

"Raw Superstar Jason Jordan underwent successful surgery this morning to repair a neck injury, WWE.com can confirm.

“He had an injury to a disc in his neck which resulted in significant pain that was refractory to all conservative measures,” WWE Medical Director Dr. Joseph Maroon said. “It was decided to do a minimally invasive operation to decompress the nerve, to allow it to heal.”

The procedure Jordan underwent is called a minimally invasive posterior cervical microdiscectomy. It is not known just how long Jordan will be out of action."

"This was the second straight major court case where Titan Sports was hammered, the case two weeks earlier where Jesse Ventura won nearly $810,000 for back royalties being the other. While the two cases themselves had virtually no similarity except in who the defendants were, both awards were stunning, and both cases pointed to a major problem plaguing this business that has already devastated it in many ways. The lack of credibility. Not credibility of the matches and storylines. But credibility of the people involved when they are on the hotseat in regard to controversial issues, and even more so, in court. In the Ventura case, he was awarded money that, based on an agreement he had made with Titan, he shouldn't have been entitled to. But the jury believed he had been lied to, or deceived, or whatever phrase you want to use, in negotiations so therefore that agreement wasn't valid. In this case, Titan had about a dozen witnesses, including all three other wrestlers in the ring during the match, agents backstage who tried to claim Austin professed no concern about taking the maneuver, local promoter and former wrestler Gerald Brisco and former wrestlers Robert Marella (Gorilla Monsoon) and Walter (Killer) Kowalski. Still, after establishing early on in the trial that wrestling is a work, moves and finishes are planned out in advance and that the role of the jobber, in this case Austin, is simply to make the stars look good, Marella testified about his 1976 angle with Muhammad Ali (to hype the Antonio Inoki match), almost trying to insinuate it was a shoot ("Ali found himself eight feet high in the air in an airplane spin. That was the last I saw of Muhammad Ali") and made ridiculous claims like having witnessed Jannetty performing the Rocker Dropper on hundreds of occasions. Kowalski testified about his 1954 incident where he accidentally kneedropped Yukon Eric's ear off, and then bragged about not visiting Eric in the hospital afterwards ("So what. These things happen"). While these statements may come off as cool if the jury was composed of wrestling fans from the 70s who are marks for these two former stars, to the layperson, the old bar war stories only made the profession and those in it seem uncaring and barbaric, a disaster when a jury is faced with a nearly paralyzed man on the other side. A reality check is needed and this may be the most expensive reality check possible. Many wrestlers and promoters believe this business consists of nothing but working marks, and they believe everyone is a mark to be worked except themselves. In many ways, that makes them the biggest marks of all, since they are marks for themselves.

Unfortunately, while they may get besieged with autographs and people wanting to buy them beer and tell them how great they are, the minute they believe that, they are dead. Dead because they've lost perspective. Dead because even the people who tell them how great they are don't really mean it, they're just thrilled to be in the presence of a television celebrity and if the celebrity is nice to them, it makes them feel important and they'll say anything to make the celebrity be nice to them. Dead because if they go to court and react as wrestling has taught them to, they wind up turning off the jury with the result being awards that on the surface seem ridiculous. After this award, expect numerous lawsuits filed using this as a precedent against major wrestling companies over injuries. Another case was just recently filed in Tampa, jobber James Goczewski sued Titan and Chris "Tatanka" Chavis over neck, back and other injuries suffered in a March 9, 1992 television match claiming Tatanka didn't follow the script in their match and injured him, and after alerting him that he had injured him, continued the match and inflicted more damage. The Ventura case didn't open any floodgates because it only applied to wrestling announcers who hadn't signed a new contract, a minute group that may have only consisted of one person, Ventura. This result opens the floodgates to every jobber who was ever injured, a huge group. If this verdict holds up and is used as a precedent, saying this could wind up bankrupting companies and devastating the entire industry is not an overstatement. If those within the organizations aren't taught a lesson that the courtroom isn't a wrestling arena and that having credibility problems is deadly, then what happened over the past three weeks won't be isolated. The way Titan (and probably WCW as well) handled jobbers in the past is that a member of the front office (for years Terry Garvin, of late Tony Garea) either contacts certain wrestlers they know of (say a Barry Horowitz) that are regular jobbers that often are even flown in, a few in the area they have experience with, an often contacts a local performer who trains or knows the local scene and asks him to provide a certain number of wrestlers, generally sight unseen to Titan. Generally the pay is $150. Most young wrestlers would almost kill for the chance. First off, there is the minute chance someone will have an idea of something to be done with them and they'll get a spot and make money, although the percentage of jobbers who ever get that break is small. Second, $150 is still a lot more then they'll make working local indie shows. Third and most importantly, they get to be on television and work with stars in front of genuine crowds. Since the jobber's job is just to get beat up, most wrestlers with limited experience can handle it adequately. A few, Chris Hamrick or Scott Taylor recently coming to mind, can do the job spectacularly. Sight unseen jobbers being brought in happens far less frequently now because all tapings are in the Northeast and very few jobbers come in as complete unknowns. In the case of WCW, most tapings are done in either Georgia or Orlando, FL and the jobber crew is generally more experienced than in years past when tapings could be done in a city they rarely visited. A few years back, when both groups taped all over the country, many more local wrestlers were used that were far more inexperienced. The usual result is that matches were still airable because jobbers only had to take a few bumps and the winning move. A few had to be taped over because they looked so bad, a lot more then were ever taped over because of serious injuries. Given all the high-risk maneuvers that are continually developing in this business, it is almost a miracle injuries like Austin's don't happen more often, although injuries themselves are not rare. This is probably a testimony to the fact that the stars for the most part do take enough care of the jobbers that besides the requisite bumps and bruises that are unavoidable, that the real serious injuries aren't plentiful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

"Raw Superstar Jason Jordan underwent successful surgery this morning to repair a neck injury, WWE.com can confirm.

“He had an injury to a disc in his neck which resulted in significant pain that was refractory to all conservative measures,” WWE Medical Director Dr. Joseph Maroon said. “It was decided to do a minimally invasive operation to decompress the nerve, to allow it to heal.”

The procedure Jordan underwent is called a minimally invasive posterior cervical microdiscectomy. It is not known just how long Jordan will be out of action."

Jason Jordan's wife on Facebook said it's not as serious as some people (Meltzer) want you to believe.

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I don't wanna say "I told you so" (Yes, I do) but I said when Jordan first came up that he needed to drop that running tackle in the corner because he was going to destroy his neck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm surprised Roman hasn't destroyed his neck yet with his head first spear.

Yeah, I'd drop it if I were him, lest he end up like Edge.  Save it for big spots, like when he charges down the ramp and spears somebody or in really big matches.  But the Superman Punch is *ahem* super over, all they'd have to do is rehab it a bit (Since everyone kicks out of it now).

2 minutes ago, caley said:

Yeah, I'd drop it if I were him, lest he end up like Edge.  Save it for big spots, like when he charges down the ramp and spears somebody or in really big matches.  But the Superman Punch is *ahem* super over, all they'd have to do is rehab it a bit (Since everyone kicks out of it now).

Reigns should change his finish to the Splash Mountain Bomb.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Yeah, but where’s that leave Shelton? He’s no slouch. 

Not that I’m hoping for this, but am I alone in thinking it’d be cool to have a trade at some point for say, two draft picks in the upcoming shakeup, if the person switching was worthy? 

I wish they’d utilize the sports side of these drafts. 

Considering they said the Shakeup was equal trades, then that would make a little less skill.

What would make more sense for that same goal would be something like "A person is traded for the draft rights to a NXT superstar", especially if the NXT superstar is still on NXT at the moment (be it because they're one of the reigning champions or they're just a newer NXT star on the verge of their push, sold as "they're staying in NXT for seasoning but their brand already has their rights when they go to the main roster.""