DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember HHH using this really weird version of My TIme right before he switched to Motorhead. They took the lyrics out of My Time and used some kind of weird distortion. IIRC, it was right after it was revealed that he was the guy behind Austin being run down. It only lasted about a month before he went to Motorhead. He also had a really shitty theme during his initial post-DX heel turn. Found this video that chronicles his themes over the years

Next to "The Game", my favorite HHH theme is Ode to Joy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I got burned on an annual Floslam subscription and while I doubt that I'd get burned on an annual one with ROH, I'm still tentative. I was planning on ordering the Supercard PPV because of Kenny/Cody, but the major appeal of their service is the library of shows from 2004-2007. I remember ages ago their halfassed ringside membership had most if not all of the older shows then they took down a great deal of them. It may be a breaking point from me early on whether or not they have those shows up as part of the service.

And for those that don't frequent the Japan folder, All Japan is also getting into this fandangled streaming game. I would reckon they don't have any of the NTV footage unless they've partnered up with them, but the company is certainly on an upswing from the bleak and dreary hole they found themselves in not that long ago.

ROH recently went in and remastered all of their older shows. I am hoping this means a full VOD offering!  $120 for every ppv and live event is more than worth the money though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Streaming Fully Loaded 1998 on my screen while I do other stuff. I am up to the Sable/Jacqueline bikini contest. 

Dustin's prayer is so earnestly offered and creates such awkwardness, especially with Lawler. It's quite genius.

“Born again” Dustin and the eventual “Goldust is back” stuff with Venis ruled. It was awkward Russo bullshit but everyone involved, especially Dustin, hit it out of the park.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

speaking of themes, does anyone have a version of Dixie Dynamite's theme from SMW?  it would work well on a southern rock playlist i'm compiling.

Was that "The South's gonna do it again" by Charlie Daniels? That may have been Tracy Smothers...

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

“Born again” Dustin and the eventual “Goldust is back” stuff with Venis ruled. It was awkward Russo bullshit but everyone involved, especially Dustin, hit it out of the park.

The match at Break Down with Val is really good. The fans would initially cheer Val for his schtick, but would begin to cheer Dustin on every comeback. In that era everyone had more or less reverted to traditional heel/face dynamics except Val. Which made for very good TV. 

On a slow re-watch on SNME and it really strikes me how truly great Honky Tonk Man. Great promo, good chickenshit heel. The promo he cuts on Savage and Liz before the Main Event in '88 (Hogan and Andre II) is glorious and then then him, Sherri as Peggy Sue and Jimmy all ham it up and dance in the ring. It's just glorious heel shit. 

He's def one of the wrestlers that you can't appreciate as a kid and I always remember purists sniffing at how cartoon character his gimmick was but he's quickly going up my list of favorite 80s WWF acts. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, just drew said:

Was that "The South's gonna do it again" by Charlie Daniels? That may have been Tracy Smothers...

i don't think so. to my knowledge, it's a completely original song (if someone corrects me on that, even better!)

I know Steph-bashing isn't cool anymore, but I read her section in the new Tim Ferriss book. It's pretty bland and uninteresting to be honest (Everything is on the other side of fear....practice gratitude blablabla), but the thing I found amusing is that she has 2 espresso shots in her Starbucks Venti coldbrew (also 2 packs of Stevia) , which she sips. That's pretty grim really. Starbucks don't make good Cold Brew, which is overrated anyway an is certainly not good for sipping - which is why the espresso shots go in I guess but goddamn. I know her Dad is a 6 Monsters a day guy, but that's just lame and I'm pretty sure Ferriss smirked when he heard that basic shit.

I will now go handgrind my beans lol. 

You haven't had the right coffee. A good light roast through a Chemex would probably change your mind. I'm a medium roast french press guy myself for the most part, but different strokes for different folks. Don't give me that 'all coffee sucks' bullshit though.

Pro Tip: Starbucks Cold Brew with added Espresso and Stevia is not the right coffee.

• Like 2

Never a big coffee drinker. Hated having to make it when pressed into emergency service in the cafe when I worked at Borders. I would make a bad cup of Froo Froo Cappawhatever and when someone would ask for the manager to complain, I would say, I  am the manager. 

A culture I don't understand or care to learn about. :)

(and to be fair, I am somewhat of a beer snob, so it's not like I don't get the concept. I just can't follow the intricacies of it. I don't have a fucking clue about coffee because I don't like coffee)

I'm a big fan of coffee and have about a dozen bags of various varieties of beans from different local roasters in my kitchen.  However I know next to nothing about various types of complex caffeinated beverages and rarely order anything but a regular coffee (or iced coffee if the weather is warm) when I'm at a coffee shop.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

And he responds with coffee snobbery.

With no degree of self-irony obviously. Fun fact: I was once accused of mansplaining mansplaining.

I'm a cheapskate, so in Starbucks UK I normally order a 3 or 4 shot upgrade espresso with extra milk - noone orders their filter there, so it's not good. Now I'm in Brussels my gold card privileges don't transfer and I'm not paying their stupid prices. I've ordered one or two sick 'all syrup squishy' frappucinos with my free drinks because that's what they're for right?

I'm sure Steph has gold member privileges and can get as many espressos in her ice as she wants. It would probably be cheaper fwiw, and definitely tastier.