DVDVR Message Board

I keep hearing good things about Fortnite and I keep thinking, god, do I really need another PUBG-style time suck?

And then I wonder what kind of track suit could I unlock in Fortnite...

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently Save the World version is going to be free to play sometimes this year. But Battle Royal is becoming a money spinner with all the skins that people are actually paying real money for.

I did buy the season 3 Battle Pass, so I'm officially part pf the problem. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my first Solo mode Victory Royale earlier today. Got a Grey Pump Shotgun kill early, another shotty kill with a Green Tac after I'd been farming a lot of stone,  then I got to the smallcircle early and managed to Crossbow a guy in theback (completing one of the trickier Weekly challenges in the process). That got me into the top 10. I towered up and waited, and before long, I was top 5. Jump padded over to a rival tower, and bought it down, and the guy fell into my lap. Purple Tac shotty, goodnight.. Top 3. Rushed another tower and was pickaxing, but the  circle was closing and I had to move. One guy jumped out of his tower and died of fall damage, and that's me in the final 2. Hid behind a tree and waited for the guy to close in. He did. Shot at him  with the Purple AR, and he walled up to save himself. And the zone closed in on him. And his walls were blocking him from getting into the clean circle, And I advanced... and the storm killed him. 4 Kills, Victory Royale for me. Fucking awesome. I was doing the victory dance of extreme obnoxiousness for ages after that.

I spent £7.99 to buy the V-Bucks I spnt on the Battle Pass, and felt a but guilty about it. But apparently my idiot nephew (who is 13) got him Mum to let him spend £300+ on buying skins for this free game.

• Haha 1

Here I am sticking to PUBG because at least you can unlock shit without dropping money on the game. I've played PUBG for a while now and it's alright. Only done solo, as my friends are on Xbone and I'm on PC and there's no way in hell I'm playing with randos going off the shit you hear in the plane at the start of each round. I tried Fortnite for the first time a few days ago and enjoyed it. Faster pacing, smaller map, better weapons earlier on than PUBG. I don't mind the cartoony aesthetic either. I do, however, hate the towering you see near the end of rounds as @AxB mentioned. Just seems so OTT. I understand there's skill in it, so it's probably that I haven't grasped the technique at all is why I'm left so frustrated by it and tend to stick to PUBG if I want to play a battle royale game.

Anybody heard of SCUM? It's a battle royale game styled after The Condemned (which, is of course a knock off of Battle Royale, yeah yeah). I believe it's way more of an RPG take on the genre though, as there all sorts of stats and ridiculous simulation aspects such as hydration and wetness levels (yes, you sweat). Seems like it will be a test of the genre's appeal but could be interesting.

It's harmless. It's minecraft with guns (but no blood). Most likely, he'll get killed without finding a weapon a few times and get bored of it. Even on Squad mode, the player base skews really young so there's really no-one in game chat screaming obscenities at the top of their lungs like you'd get in certain online communities. It's all over youtube, watch a couple of those and you'll see if it's appropriate, but I'd say it shouldn't be a problem. Jjust don't let him buy everything in the item store (unless you're loaded).

Solved this week's treasure map without looking on the internet to find where the star is. It was bit easier with the Llama being on there this time.

If you'll be playing on console, take any payment options off your account first. via Kotaku's article on rampant account hacking (emphasis mine):

" “Epic Games doesn’t require a pin or a back code to do payments,” John explained. “When you do an online payment, they [other places] at least ask for the log-in details of your PayPal or any info. . .”. To make a purchase in Fortnite, a player just clicks on what they want and hits “Purchase.” That takes them to a screen displaying redacted PayPal account information where they can review and place the order. Then, buying is as easy as clicking “Place Order.” All the information is saved. A few weeks ago, Epic Games added in 2-factor authentication, and yet, the attacks are still ongoing."

so while I do not think someone is going to hack your account to spend money, it seems phenomenally easy for, say, a child to absentmindedly rack up $100s in non-refundable purchases for a game you don't play. If they're playing on console, and they already have a separate profile, you oughta be good, but maybe double check anyways. Either way, figured that's a good thing to know going in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing makes me feel more like an old fart than watching other people running around, building structures, seamlessly changing to combat and picking people off while I hide hoping nobody shoots me while I fumble trying to get the right gun selected. I am terrible at this game but got up to # 6 twice tonight by pure luck.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, offspring515 said:

Nothing makes me feel more like an old fart than watching other people running around, building structures, seamlessly changing to combat and picking people off while I hide hoping nobody shoots me while I fumble trying to get the right gun selected. I am terrible at this game but got up to # 6 twice tonight by pure luck.

Haha I was in the same boat when I started too. I'll usually play Hunger Games style (let everyone else pick each other off) but I've been getting more confident in combat and building in practice. I also read there's a way to get an "easy mode"......switch to the Brazilian servers. They're a bit less experienced and you'll place higher more often.

If I told you I already had the new Umbrella, would you be jealous? Because I've already got the new Umbrella.

• 3 weeks later...

I made it to number two and got three kills along the way! And then I got turned around while building cover and left myself open to a missile shot.   I’m still really bad but I am confident enough in combat now to engage and sometimes get a kill. 

I’ve had two squad wins, one by myself due to sneaking around and surprising the last guy standing after a three way shoot out, and another where I basically just tagged along with some other guys and occasionally healed them.

I’m pretty good at sneaking and creeping around well enough to consistently get top five finishes in solo.  I’ve got lots of #2 finishes, but always get taken out by a much better equipped player.