DVDVR Message Board

Raw - The Bank's Closed - 1/29/2018

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I mean, I don't really point it out for all the women, but Sasha just seems to make it a habit of taking a bunch of bad ones.

r9ckt6bhe3yy.gif 

e073c26128704bcb5cd6de9edcb624b8a69e92a3

Pretty sure that first one is mostly Flair's fault

Me neither. My point (and not directed at you) is just that this is a crazy business is all, you can be permanently injured on a simple move just as much as a head-dropping fiasco. Asking them to tone it down is counter-productive to what people want to see and somewhat irrelevant to what can happen no matter what. I'm not wanting people to do more dangerous stuff, but they're gonna do what puts butts in seats. Men or women has no difference either and asking one side of the aisle to do less is BS. 

That said, leave the topes to luchadores, the shit is indeed getting old. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it. And yes, I know that sounds really hypocritical in the face of what I wrote above. Wrestling is a two-faced dragon in the end...

DUwhKH-WkAEde8u.jpg

Damn.

I thought Sasha Banks vs. Asuka should be the main women's WWE Championship match at WrestleMania since Asuka joined the main roster.

This first time ever match delivered. Rematch at WrestleMania XXXIV? Don't think it will, be glad to be wrong.

Yeah,  that first one is definitely Flair's fault.  Sasha's probably done that dive through the ropes hundreds of times. I remember she did a one arm dive through the ropes on Becky because she was selling the other arm. It was great.  She could get hurt doing it but who's to tell her to stop.  Her dive over the top that she does sometimes is the one I prefer. She did it on Bayley at NXT Brooklyn. 

• Like 1

This goes back to Rollins buckle bomb where people said he shouldn't do it because he injured a few guys, ignoring the fact he did it safely nightly on Ambrose et al for months.

Sasha's botched moves don't even make 1% of her overall move level. And she'd be far worse off second guessing herself - you screw up more when you're full of self doubt. 

29 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

This goes back to Rollins buckle bomb where people said he shouldn't do it because he injured a few guys, ignoring the fact he did it safely nightly on Ambrose et al for months.

To be fair, Seth had a bad run that included breaking Cena's face, injuring the guy they were giving an insta-mega push too (although Finn might carry some of the blame for how he hit the barricade) and ended Sting's career. That's enough injuries, especially of high profile guys, to earn a little suspicion. Especially since they all three happened in like 13 months.

AFAIK, no one has gotten hurt by him since though, so either he's gotten more careful or it was just some shitty luck and terrible timing.

• Like 4

Remember when Cesaro face planted on a tope and said on Twitter he'd never try it again and as far as I know hasn't? I feel like Sasha should take that note. It didn't really change any part of Cesaro's game and it wouldn't for Sasha, it just takes one less potentially career ending bump away. And unless I'm not seeing the one from last night correctly (which I admit is very possible), if Asuka hadn't already been supposed to counter that dive it would have been incredibly bad. She has a lot of moves in her arsenal, I feel like she can lose one.

10 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Apollo Crews probably looked the best I've ever seen him on the main roster. But that botched pop-up powerbomb or whatever he took from Sheamus almost got him a broken neck. Sheamus looked like he got really messed up from it too. Some pretty reckless wrestling tonight.

I get the feeling Sheamus was already banged up based on how short his Rumble was.

8 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Seriously, guys, watching WWE on mute is the way to go.  It's the only way I enjoyed any of the Rumble.

Or you could do what my dad claimed to have done back in the 50s and watch it while playing classical music on the radio. I could believe it because his dad was a snob. :)

• Like 1

That dive was legit (no pun intended) scary. I'm talking Lita levels of face planting lol Other than that, the match was pretty good, especially the later portions. Asuka was just kicking her ass. Now, I want Alexa to lose the title at Elimination Chamber and we get Sasha/Asuka II at Mania instead. 

Sasha's myriad Eddie Guerrero tributes are well documented, but her other favorite wrestler was Akira Hokuto, and attempting to break her own neck mid-match is a really dedicated homage.

Seriously though, tricky spot. She has to come up a bit short on the dive in order to sell the impact of the kick, and you probably don't practice that often. Normally people just get kicked before they leap, and fall back into the ring. But they worked it well; the violence seemed to escalate from that point, including an accidental top-rope knee to the face. (Call it a KinSasha?)

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

It's the structure of the match that makes it seem like a burial. Throughout the night, the hyped up Finn being the longest lasting opponent and having a performance of a lifetime. Cena is distracted and actually letting the crowd get to him. In fact, Finn was an afterthought in the match. Cena dominated the match and usually when there is a guy working heel and the guy working face is getting dominated, you'd expected some form of spurts from the face, but in the match Finn literally looked weak. Facing a visibly distracted and effected Cena(something few people faced and won with less) and still losing clean. I don't know. It just seemed like a squash burial to me if not a questionable booking decision.

Everytime Finn gets some form of momentum, it gets immediately followed by a loss of some kind. It;s weird.

The biggest heel move Cena did was allow Finn to get his offense in during the commercial break. 

Talking about a person on the mic while they get little televised offense is not a push.

8 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Maybe Sasha should just stop doing topes.

nyX9XqV.gif

That is more on the person who is supposed to be catching her.  As for Sasha, if your partner is not going to protect you then don't do the move.  That goes for the other tope gif when she jumps over her partner.  She should know by now what moves to do with what partners.

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I really like Alexa as a character but I think a better WrestleMania title match would be Asuka/Sasha rematch.  I wouldn't mind them running it back.  

Braun is on such a hot streak.  I'm stunned. Legit stunned how this huge fucking dude who is awesome on the mic and pretty damn good in the ring isn't already world champion.  

I was fine with the Elimination Chamber qualifiers.  Elias has come so far.  His song tonight was beautifully done.   Cena over Balor will definitely be polarizing.  I don't mind it because Cena has been doing a lot of losing lately. So has Roman for that matter.  

Speaking of Roman,  him and The Miz have never had a bad match ever.  

If Braun is champ, then how would they be able to defeat him without killing his aura? Braun is much better as a chaser due to his size. There's a reason on why Andre never got a run with the NWA/AWA belts.