DVDVR Message Board

Raw - The Bank's Closed - 1/29/2018

Dolfan in NYC

11 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Partly true. Finn's weak offense is pretty offensive. 

Which is disappointing because he seemed to pick up the pace after returning from his shoulder injury. The moveset wasn't drastically different, but what he did carried more weight, if that makes sense. But it seems that Finn has gone back to his basics and that's usually not enough to get me invested unless he's in the ring with the right opponent. 

Then again, drawing Bray Wyatt as a long-term feud is enough to upset anyone at this point, like Finn did last summer.

Ultimately, I don't think they know how to reincorporate Finn back into the mix on Raw. I've said it before but his injury will go down as one of the all-time worst in terms of timing. By the time he came back, Braun and Joe had settled into their upper-level roles. And we're seeing it again in how Elias is being positioned. They seem to know Finn can be something more but they have to figure out how what to do with it.

As for Braun, @Shibata Is My Homie nailed it. Braun's greatest strength is also his greatest curse. Being WWE's version of The Mountain is what brought him to their attention and helped him achieve success. But they've used that to the point where that's his gimmick. Braun destroys things. Cool in theory and in practice--to a point. But what else can he tip over? How many more people can he shove off ramps while trapped in dumpsters? It's one-dimensional. And sadly, because they went to Braun/Roman so early, they can't build up that to where they could do a Batman/Bane or Superman/Doomsday angle. Besides, Roman beat Braun a year ago. Reigns and Lesnar are Braun Busters. So even that isn't in the mix. Not saying Braun can't even win a world title. But it will likely be a short run with Roman or Brock being the only ones in position to unseat him.

I decided to re-watch the Hulu version of Raw this morning just to re-watch the Sasha vs Asuka and Cena vs Finn matches. It's such a pain in the ass to fast forward on Hulu on the Roku so I figured I would just eat breakfast and watch the whole show. It's only an hour and half so whatever.

What a mistake. I just can't not hear Coach. His whole mantra was "what's goin' on here guys?" Whoever produced him to sound clueless (and let's be real, it was Vince) is beyond dumb. The audience for Raw is largely the same audience that watched Raw when Coach was last there. People know that Coach is in the know because of social media. So for him to play up being clueless and new to this was really cringeworthy.

He's basically assuming the role of the lapsed fan except lapsed fans aren't nearly as annoying as Coach.

I am super here for DVDVR missing Booker. Always thought this place was too hard on his commentary, but maybe I imagined it. Personally, I loved how off-the-cuff he came off and how he'd throw around words like "strap" and "wrestling." His announcing during Strowman's rampage where he threw Michael Cole made the whole thing that much better for me. And Graves pointing out his mistakes all the time was fantastic.

I'm definitely biased as a Booker mark and an occasional ROW attendee. His announcer persona is a total work, and it's great.

Also Coach sucks, and if they manage to get the "dream" tag they want for Mania, I'm not looking forward to five minute homophobic segments of Rocky making fun of him.

This Raw was otherwise excellent, though. Definitely think the Finn loss is leading to a heel turn, as mentioned. Also wouldn't mind one last Cena title run tbh, but yeah.

My only concern with Finn turning is that it's just going to mirror the weak run that AJ Styles had with the good brothers. AJ Styles couldn't get the job done and then turned heel with Gallows and Anderson, which then in short time lead to AJ leaving them behind to go to SDL. If this is the 2.0 version of that, then they need to actually go all the way with Balor Club being a heel trio mainstay. It wouldn't even be that bad of a way to eventually work Adam Cole into that group. 

If they're echoing the original Bullet Club run, that could make sense also. He won the junior title first, and then earned a heavyweight title shot by beating a lot of the top guys in the higher weight class without ever dropping his "lesser" belt, theoretically elevating it and the whole division. Of course, he didn't succeed in holding both belts at once--and never did win the heavyweight title--but the template is there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

If they kept him with Gallows and Anderson, featured him on RAW regularly, and brought Rey back for a program with him, he maybe could elevate the cruiser belt.

He could be the heel that needs his heavies to protect him giving the faces a rub building them up.

On 1/31/2018 at 3:16 PM, evilwaldo said:

As much as everyone will hate it with a passion, Finn should go to 205 and rebuild the place.

I have said this, but they also need to do something with the time slot of 205 Live. That is what is killing the show. They also need to stop treating it as jobber ville and have the cruiserweights compete with the heavyweights just as Finn does. Finn can leave and join the division anytime he wants just as any other person in the division can and should be able to.

• Like 1