DVDVR Message Board

Raw - The Bank's Closed - 1/29/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Coach was terrible, but Jerry Lawler would have been an upgrade over Stephanie McMahon during the Women's Rumble? I feel like this board doesn't get to say who sucks or not after suggesting that little nugget of gold.

As I was once told by someone on here when I was complaining about Booker T's horrible commentary... "mute it or don't watch".

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Coach was terrible, but Jerry Lawler would have been an upgrade over Stephanie McMahon during the Women's Rumble? I feel like this board doesn't get to say who sucks or not after suggesting that little nugget of gold.

As I was once told by someone on here when I was complaining about Booker T's horrible commentary... "mute it or don't watch".

What does one have to do with the other? Us complaining about Coach and preferring Booker T's crazy bullshit over Coach being an idiot has nothing to do with one or two people saying they would have preferred Jerry Lawler over Steph. Not to mention, the reason I saw against having Lawler announce the women's Rumble was that he used to shout puppies, something he hasn't done in years.

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Or ... people just have subjective and different opinions? :)

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Coach was fucking terrible.

"Uh, hey guys. what's up with Cena getting booed?!"

Did he say "history" every thirty seconds, scream "oooooohhhhhhh" a lot, and audibly clap his hands into the mike for the wrestlers?  Because I've heard a lot worse in the past few days.

That Sasha bump was fucking brutal.  Even Asuka seemed to be freaked out by it.

At what point does Vince or HHH or Road Dogg or someone pull Sasha aside and tell her no more tope suicidas? The move is beyond overused and Big E or Sasha are going to prematurely end their careers doing it.

33 minutes ago, Eivion said:

He survived an AA and took an avalanche AA to be beaten all while never getting to hit any of his finishers. Yes, he was totally buried.

He got his finishers in during the commercial break along with 75% of his offense.

29 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Plus,  Finn went 57 minutes in the Rumble.  I think they have big plans for him. 

Ziggler had that massive comeback in the Survivor Series match.  That worked out well.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

At what point does Vince or HHH or Road Dogg or someone pull Sasha aside and tell her no more tope suicidas? The move is beyond overused and Big E or Sasha are going to prematurely end their careers doing it.

It certainly would have derailed the "yay women" momentum to have one of your big stars break her neck the next day on live TV.

If it was the same people wanting Lawler as disliking Coach then you night have a point there.

But I don't think it was, at least thus far.

Graves is great, and I really really enjoyed him and Booker together. I'm not going to mute it because I still like Graves, but Coach is a massive downgrade.

25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Or ... people just have subjective and different opinions? :)

I'm pretty sure you were the one who told me to turn off the television or mute it because I didn't like Booker T. I'm so, so loving some of you hating Coach on commentary, because it's how I've felt for months having to hear Booker spout out stupid phrases and be a 2nd rate Dusty Rhodes (which is a pretty low bar in the first place) with how incomprehensible he is.

:)

I don't remember that, but my memory has been poor recently. I do generally think muting is the best way to enjoy the visuals, whether it's wrestling, baseball or what have you.

But I also don't understand hate watching. Why consume stuff you know you don't like? Life's too short. :)

I'm lucky in that, since the only current product I watch is CMLL, where I sort of know from my Spanish speaking lucha pals that JCR is not great, but it is really just background sound when I watch. 

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Seeing how Finn literally got squashed by Kane in three minutes a couple months ago, I'm pretty sure this wasn't a burial.

It's the structure of the match that makes it seem like a burial. Throughout the night, the hyped up Finn being the longest lasting opponent and having a performance of a lifetime. Cena is distracted and actually letting the crowd get to him. In fact, Finn was an afterthought in the match. Cena dominated the match and usually when there is a guy working heel and the guy working face is getting dominated, you'd expected some form of spurts from the face, but in the match Finn literally looked weak. Facing a visibly distracted and effected Cena(something few people faced and won with less) and still losing clean. I don't know. It just seemed like a squash burial to me if not a questionable booking decision.

Everytime Finn gets some form of momentum, it gets immediately followed by a loss of some kind. It;s weird.

I just find it odd that so much focus is on the women when they take a crazy looking bump but guys like Cesaro just as easily could have broken their neck a few times. The women might be smaller but the men can just as easily get really fucked up off these spots. And no,  Cesaro might have more experience but he's nearly broken his neck now a few times. Then there's his teeth...  

47 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

It's the structure of the match that makes it seem like a burial. Throughout the night, the hyped up Finn being the longest lasting opponent and having a performance of a lifetime. Cena is distracted and actually letting the crowd get to him. In fact, Finn was an afterthought in the match. Cena dominated the match and usually when there is a guy working heel and the guy working face is getting dominated, you'd expected some form of spurts from the face, but in the match Finn literally looked weak. Facing a visibly distracted and effected Cena(something few people faced and won with less) and still losing clean. I don't know. It just seemed like a squash burial to me if not a questionable booking decision.

Everytime Finn gets some form of momentum, it gets immediately followed by a loss of some kind. It;s weird.

The guy he was facing was one of the biggest stars of the last decade, and they put over Finn himself having worked nearly an hour the night before and likely not being 100%. it wasn't a burial.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I just find it odd that so much focus is on the women when they take a crazy looking bump but guys like Cesaro just as easily could have broken their neck a few times. The women might be smaller but the men can just as easily get really fucked up off these spots. And no,  Cesaro might have more experience but he's nearly broken his neck now a few times. Then there's his teeth...  

I've heard a couple folks on their podcasts say they worry about some of the bumps taken by women because a lot of them don't have a lot of muscle mass that would help cushion impacts, be they spots or flubs.  That used to said a lot of times for guys when they damaged their necks, the damage was lessened by all their muscles being thick/toughened up.

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I've heard a couple folks on their podcasts say they worry about some of the bumps taken by women because a lot of them don't have a lot of muscle mass that would help cushion impacts, be they spots or flubs.  That used to said a lot of times for guys when they damaged their necks, the damage was lessened by all their muscles being thick/toughened up.

I'm sure that's probably true but what I'm saying is all it takes is one bad landing from Cesaro,  Big E,  Rollins etc.   They've all been close many times.  There was that one in particular with Cesaro in a match vs. Sheamus where I thought he broke his neck.  

Look at Sasha's neck and then look at Cesaro's. There's a reason I'm way more concerned about one and less concerned about the other. Plus, there's also the subjective nature of caring more for one person than another.

Hell, I wouldn't even be that concerned about Nattie or Dana or Charlotte. Sasha is just more of a ragdoll with her bumps and she doesn't have as much muscle to absorb the blow.