DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 POST SHOW DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

13 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

anyone else see the white dude in the taco costume thumbs downing at rey's return

if i was trying to gin up a strawman to represent the US wrasslin fan's Intentional Lucha Blind Spot, even then would I view that as too ridiculous. And yet.

UPDATE: screen shot proof

LWkLhk0.png

Waldo was upset Nakamura won. 

Can we also highlight the difference between how NXT handled Shayna Baszler and how the main roster handled "Baddest woman on the planet" Rhonda fucking Rousey.

The build from Shayna's debut has been incredible while Rhonda looked like a celebrity pretending to be a wrestler.

Those couple of years in the indys really make a hell of a difference...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

I'm not going through 15 pages of DVDVR message board forum pages as thats a worm hole I do not want to mention but has there been any mention of Roman tossing Rollins out of the Rumble. Maybe they are planting the seeds for a turn?

Probably not with the understanding smirk Seth gave Roman. It was actually kind of neat the way they played it off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Can we also highlight the difference between how NXT handled Shayna Baszler and how the main roster handled "Baddest woman on the planet" Rhonda fucking Rousey.

The build from Shayna's debut has been incredible while Rhonda looked like a celebrity pretending to be a wrestler.

Actually, Rousey looks like a huge big fucking deal, even if her theme music just reminds everyone of Shrek.

• Like 1

Per Meltzer - the reason they ended up using more "legends" in the women's match that original planned is that they are now filming a documentary about women's wrestling.

And similarly - Nikki eliminating Brie was done entirely for Total Bellas since (not surprisingly) they were filming last night

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

The story at Mania is a celebrity athlete transitioning to pro wrestling, so it's a little different than a wrestler who has an MMA background. I expect that she'll get some more training in the next couple of months and be fine for some good spots in the tag match. After that she can spend plenty of time at the PC to get polished. I do agree with whoever suggested she'd need a mouthpiece, at least to get started. 

56 minutes ago, Victator said:

Really? Lawler would be a million times better than Stephanie was.

I didn’t know the men’s rumble was first and assumed the women were about to start, and when Lawler came out I was like “ What the fuck? “ I love Jerry but the puppies guy calling the women’s rumble? Then I assumed Steph would come out and kick him out. When the match started was when I realized they were doing the men first.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Victator said:

Really? Lawler would be a million times better than Stephanie was.

Stephanie didn't say much and nothing she said was really a WTF moment. Lawler calling the women's rumble would have been nothing but a creepy old man fawning over women more than half his age while saying things that make you embarrassed to be a wrestling fan.

• Like 3

Womens rumble was my fav match and thought it exceeded expectations, loved finally getting a Rumble match full of surprises after expecting very few. Kelly was one of my favs so glad to see her, the headscissors thing being overblown cause sometimes it's okay for moves to look like there's a struggle. The one thing I hoped for in the eventual Rousey debut was that she get Bad Reputation so that was cool. I liked McCool in her time but her eliminating so many was a bit much, mainly Sonya Deville who I hoped would last longer. Mens rumble was very good as well with an exciting finishing stretch.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Stephanie didn't say much and nothing she said was really a WTF moment. Lawler calling the women's rumble would have been nothing but a creepy old man fawning over women more than half his age while saying things that make you embarrassed to be a wrestling fan.

Woulda entertained me on multiple levels. 

15 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Dolph Ziggler making an indefensible and idiotic career move because he thinks he's much bigger than he actually is and then making a grand return to an even lesser position than he was in before to zero fanfare may be some of the most accurate in-character writing the WWE has done in years.

Based on this post alone, I motion for your username to be changed to “Perfectly Critical Man.”

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Why was the yachting thing "legendarily" bad? It's an actual fact from her life and it plays into her gimmick.

Is Chad Gable a grappling enthusiast? Is Mark Henry a picking up heavy things enthusiast? 

6 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Because she was wearing a string bikini top and they were worried it'd slip.

They should have been after the nip slips from Braun and Kane.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Probably not with the understanding smirk Seth gave Roman. It was actually kind of neat the way they played it off.

IIRC, the Shield guys have had a habit of eliminating each other.  

As distracting as it was for so many women to chill outside for a while, it created an infinitely better visual than when several guys are all taking an obvious breather laying down near the apron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It'd be weird for the announcers to go on and on about Mark Henry being the world's strongest man and not mention that he used to be a strongman and won actual competitions in the past that influence his pro wrestling gimmick. Same thing with Kairi Sane. The wording of the entire thing was odd, but it's no different.

6 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

As distracting as it was for so many women to chill outside for a while, it created an infinitely better visual than when several guys are all taking an obvious breather laying down near the apron.

Neither is good. They should all be fighting, in the ring. It's a Rumble. It's not about two people in the ring working spots unless all but two people are eliminated.