DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 POST SHOW DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I wonder if it was a rib during the generations showdown that they made sure Rey got paired up with Roman.

I skipped around on the rebroadcast but really loved the rumbles.  I'm sure there are plenty of websites "launching" to the angle of Kelly trying to stay in the ring.  I'm also hoping there is a 24: women's royal rumble to cover everyone coming back.  

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

WWE production loves their cuts, but man did they linger for days on that Kelly Kelly near elimination. 

That was at Chappelle Show "c'mon titty ... c'mon titty ..." levels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just realised..

You've got AJ/Nakamura, Asuka/Rousey (maybe?)...then probably Lesnar/Reigns and Triple H/Angle

Absolutely no-one else looks like they've got anything planned for Mania.

Braun/Miz?

Wyatt, Cesaro/Sheamus, Elias, Balor, Jordan, Rollins, the Hardys, Kane, Cena, Good Brothers, Joe, the entire 205 roster, Bayley, Sasha, Alexa, Nia Jax
Rusev Day, Corbin, Roode, Jericho, American Alpha, Usos, Jinder, Owens, Sami, Orton, New Day, Charlotte,

The Andre Battle Royal could be pretty stacked this year.

14 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Just realised..

You've got AJ/Nakamura, Asuka/Rousey (maybe?)...then probably Lesnar/Reigns and Triple H/Angle

Absolutely no-one else looks like they've got anything planned for Mania.

Braun/Miz?

Wyatt, Cesaro/Sheamus, Elias, Balor, Jordan, Rollins, the Hardys, Kane, Cena, Good Brothers, Joe, the entire 205 roster, Bayley, Sasha, Alexa, Nia Jax
Rusev Day, Corbin, Roode, Jericho, American Alpha, Usos, Jinder, Owens, Sami, Orton, New Day, Charlotte,

The Andre Battle Royal could be pretty stacked this year.

Rousey and a partner will be facing Triple H/Steph (as mentioned in the main thread - Rock is still the dream partner)

Cena is supposed to face Taker

Jericho has a Fozzy concert the same day as Mania so he won't be there

Braun and Miz are - at the moment - linked

The tag champs of each division will have a match

Asuka will face one of the champs

The other champ will have a match.

Also both shows have PPVs to set things up

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Forget the work, it’s a battle royal. It was a Rumble where almost half the participants were surprises and they all got shine moments. That makes it one of the best three or four rumbles ever. That’s like the whole point of these things. 

Remember how there were basically no surprises last year? Madness.

There was just so much terrible performances in it that I was more entertained by that than anything. And why am I supposed to get warm and fuzzy about Michelle McCool or Kelly Kelly? It also featured how many women the company fat shamed over the years? 

Then Ronda just strolls out and defeats the purpose of the whole thing. Good for her but that was hilarious too. 

Since when are cheap nostalgia pops the whole point of these things? 90 and 92 are the best because they set up mania really well and were fascinating. Were there surprises in those? 

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Since when are cheap nostalgia pops the whole point of these things? 90 and 92 are the best because they set up mania really well and were fascinating. Were there surprises in those? 

It is when they switched to marketing "moments" instead of wrestling and matches

Their goal is to get on the front page of the national media

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

There was just so much terrible performances in it that I was more entertained by that than anything. And why am I supposed to get warm and fuzzy about Michelle McCool or Kelly Kelly? It also featured how many women the company fat shamed over the years? 

Then Ronda just strolls out and defeats the purpose of the whole thing. Good for her but that was hilarious too. 

It reminded me the most of 92 actually, because of all of the "names".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

But nobody cares about those other than over 30 lapsed and diehard fans. Rousey wasn't a nostalgia pop. 

There is one person who cares and that is all that matters

1. The men's rumble this year was also full of completely ridiculous performances up and down. Tons of blown stuff and people putting themselves into position, etc. The Ziggler/Nakamura suplex spot. Big E putting himself on the apron, etc. Lots and lots of stuff. 

2. The camerawork was terrible all around. It's a sin against nature to miss Sane's first elbow drop for instance. The whole point is to see her fly through the air. Or the Molly Go Round. They're so afraid of contact with the quick cuts.

3. Maybe it's low expectations. Maybe it's because I'm (gasp) over 30, but for all the forced history stuff they try, and very often fail, to do, the women's rumble came off as this huge celebration of the last twenty years. Maybe some of that stuff shouldn't be celebrated, but I thought it worked as a very solid overview of the road that took them to this point, and then they punctuated it with the next big thing after the fact.

• Like 6

100% agreed on Wilson.

Just to be clear, I'm totally on board with Rousey. My issue was they made it seem like she'd get a title shot at mania after Asuka just had to win a  grueling match to get hers. Her and Rock vs. Triple H and Steph is perfect WWE modern day Mania stuff and would deliver on an old tease.