DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 POST SHOW DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That was hilarious. "I got this" "No you don't!" *Crash* *facepalm*

Let's not forget Gallagher groaning "you were right!" back at the corner to Gulak.

On 1/29/2018 at 5:48 PM, evilwaldo said:

It is the way every Rumble should be and is not very hard to book.  It literally is minimal effort.

Oh pardon me sir: the Royal Rumble can and should be the most intricately and strategically booked match of any PPV. When Pat Patterson was doing it, he and VKM (and Ross and/or Prichard, if I recall) would take a couple days to do it - setting up future feuds, going over the order, eliminations, setting the pace, et al. You can tell stories with the RR that no other match can, tease match-ups,  demonstrate wrestlers gimmicks/personalities/attitudes, set up hierarchies, introduce new workers. Just as there is a classic or basic tag/cage/big v. small match template that will do for a satisfying rassling match, you can outline a RR but the variables and subtleties are what makes it a special once-a-year thang. The past couple of years really sucked partially because the unique format was not utilized - it is more than just booking surprise guests and setting the entrances; this year was very good and was deliciously simple - it hit the right notes. No one can book it like Mr. Patterson but this year was fun.

-RAF

• Like 3

16 hours ago, peterien said:

I hope I’m wrong but I see Orton getting added to AJ vs Nakamura at WM.

They are supposedly getting this out of their system at Fastlane by doing a 5-way

AJ vs. KO vs. Sami vs. Orton vs. Nakamura

Most likely they will take Nakamura out and put someone else in there with the winner facing Nak at Mania

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

An actual fun moment in that 6 man was Gulak yelling at Gallagher for attempting to fly and Gallagher telling him to trust him and then crashing and burning

The one advantage to 30 people being in the building. We could hear it all

Gulak is the best.

I didn't have much knowledge of him pre-WWE - can he do that high flying stuff? If so, give that man a medal for refusing to wrestle like a cruiserweight to make his gimmick seem legit.  

21 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

Gulak is the best.

I didn't have much knowledge of him pre-WWE - can he do that high flying stuff? If so, give that man a medal for refusing to wrestle like a cruiserweight to make his gimmick seem legit.  

;)

To quote myself from the Takeover thread - for those who need it in their veins despite claiming they totally don't care what Dave rates things

205 Live 6 man - 2 1/2

Revival/G&A - 2 1/2

Roode/Mojo - 1 3/4

AJ/Kami - 3 1/2

SDL Tag TItles - 3

Men's Rumble - 4 1/4

Raw Tag Titles - 2 1/4

Universal Title - 2

Women's Rumble - 3 1/4

On 1/31/2018 at 9:29 AM, RIPPA said:

They are supposedly getting this out of their system at Fastlane by doing a 5-way

AJ vs. KO vs. Sami vs. Orton vs. Nakamura

Most likely they will take Nakamura out and put someone else in there with the winner facing Nak at Mania

Make it an elimination match and have Corbin get flash pinned in under thirty seconds! 

• Sad 1

So I'm finally watching the Rumble and the men's match was pretty sloppy...or, moreso, the camerawork was focusing too much on sloppy shit. Like, why are you zooming in on John Cena screaming out ring directions? And FFS, he wasn't even subtle: a good 3-4 times he's yelling, and usually at Nakamura like he's a fucking greenhorn or something. And most of Cena's shit was sloppy and/or lazy in there. Very disappointing. Ending was lackluster, too, although everyone being so excited that Nakamura won helped gloss over that.

But other people were sloppy, too: Ziggler was stumbling around like a drunk, and Elias had no fucking clue how to take Almas' spinning whatever-the-fuck the guy was trying to do...not that it didn't stop Almas from trying the same move 2-3 times in a row. Also way too much standing around when it came down to the Final Six. I get what they were trying to accomplish: Old Guard vs. New Guard, and then Over-Pushed Face vs. Internet Darlings...but shit, grab a fucking hold or throw a punch or fucking do ANYTHING.

ALSO...let's get the announcers some proper damn notes. Cole says Jinder has never been in a Rumble, when he was a participant in both 2012 and 2013. And only ONCE did someone call out Lawler for doing his standard "change my pick 10 times" gimmick, like these dinks have never watched a Rumble before.

Just finished the show: I think Braun is very lucky that was a triple-threat and Kane was there to get everyone back on track. After that knee to the head, I think if Brock was alone in there he'd have fucked Braun up for a lot longer than a punch or two to the skull. The whole match was stiff as fuck, regardless...