DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 POST SHOW DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Watching that Brock/Braun exchange back... You can see Brock yell "Slow the fuck down!" right after the punch. 

Say what you will about the concept of receipts, but a guy that big can't be kneeing people in the head like that.

• Like 1

Per Meltzer on the newest radio show - what he was told was that Adam Cole was Bobby Roode's original challenger and that someone (thankfully) realized that was a really shitty way to have Cole debut (even if it was for one show)

I wonder if all of the Undisputed Era gets called up around WrestleMania. Vince, Hunter, Road Dogg, Ward, and others had to take notice at how over Adam Cole is. If they were already thinking of giving him a US title shot, then perhaps he's on their minds enough when the call ups happen.

Or maybe you just bring up Cole and let Fish and O'Reilly get some more experience in NXT. Cole just seems like he's more than ready and letting him stew too long in NXT just repeats the mistake they made with Nakamura.

Just now, (BP) said:

Vince thought AJ's Rumble reaction was a fluke, so I don't know if he's going to make much out of Cole being over in Philly. 

That seems odd considering he had Jericho put AJ over the very next night.

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That seems odd considering he had Jericho put AJ over the very next night.

Yeah, but Jericho also put over Fandango at Wrestlemania and hadn't rehabbed his perception as a Legend/JTTS with the List. It was actually treated like a big swerve when he went over any up and comer at the time. AJ actually credits his work with the Miz as the point where Vince was sold on him. He talked about it on Edge and Christian's podcast. 

10 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I'm only vaguely familiar with Ronda Rousey. Had it been previously established that her only means of communication were pointing and offering handshakes?

I think she was probably supposed to be Rude Faced Badass Scary Girl. 

But she was marking out too hard at being there -- in her giant Roddy Piper hand-me-down jacket no less; she couldn't stop herself from grinning. 

21 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I'm only vaguely familiar with Ronda Rousey. Had it been previously established that her only means of communication were pointing and offering handshakes?

Actually, it could be argued that her NOT shaking hands played a factor in her first UFC loss.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

I think she was probably supposed to be Rude Faced Badass Scary Girl. 

But she was marking out too hard at being there -- in her giant Roddy Piper hand-me-down jacket no less; she couldn't stop herself from grinning. 

On the one hand it undermined her a a bad ass. On the other, it's awesome that she's genuinely happy to be there.

An actual fun moment in that 6 man was Gulak yelling at Gallagher for attempting to fly and Gallagher telling him to trust him and then crashing and burning

The one advantage to 30 people being in the building. We could hear it all

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

An actual fun moment in that 6 man was Gulak yelling at Gallagher for attempting to fly and Gallagher telling him to trust him and then crashing and burning

The one advantage to 30 people being in the building. We could hear it all

That was hilarious. "I got this" "No you don't!" *Crash* *facepalm*

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That was hilarious. "I got this" "No you don't!" *Crash* *facepalm*

Let's not forget Gallagher groaning "you were right!" back at the corner to Gulak.

On 1/29/2018 at 5:48 PM, evilwaldo said:

It is the way every Rumble should be and is not very hard to book.  It literally is minimal effort.

Oh pardon me sir: the Royal Rumble can and should be the most intricately and strategically booked match of any PPV. When Pat Patterson was doing it, he and VKM (and Ross and/or Prichard, if I recall) would take a couple days to do it - setting up future feuds, going over the order, eliminations, setting the pace, et al. You can tell stories with the RR that no other match can, tease match-ups,  demonstrate wrestlers gimmicks/personalities/attitudes, set up hierarchies, introduce new workers. Just as there is a classic or basic tag/cage/big v. small match template that will do for a satisfying rassling match, you can outline a RR but the variables and subtleties are what makes it a special once-a-year thang. The past couple of years really sucked partially because the unique format was not utilized - it is more than just booking surprise guests and setting the entrances; this year was very good and was deliciously simple - it hit the right notes. No one can book it like Mr. Patterson but this year was fun.

-RAF

• Like 3