DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 POST SHOW DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The best Stephanie commentary moment for me was when Corey was doing to horned up thing when Mandy Rose came out.  Like he did for Eva Marie.  Stephanie told him to "settle down' kind of the same way your mom scolds you when you as a kid for saying a curse word.  

Just now, hammerva said:

The best Stephanie commentary moment for me was when Corey was doing to horned up thing when Mandy Rose came out.  Like he did for Eva Marie.  Stephanie told him to "settle down' kind of the same way your mom scolds you when you as a kid for saying a curse word.  

Settle down, Hollywood Coreynetico

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Yeah, the commentary wasn't great during the women's Royal Rumble. I can normally tune out bad commentary, but it was hard to ignore. I mentioned it earlier, but Michael Cole kept channeling the GLOW announcer by giving a profile for each woman, which got downright cringeworthy when he's saying she about Kairi being an avid yacht person (or whatever you call it), referencing Tori Wilson being a fitness guru, etc. If it wasn't that it was Steph repeating "ooooh here we go!" or Corey not understanding why Sasha or whoever would keep saving someone from being thrown out. I normally love Corey, but he got stuck in a shit sandwich and it rubbed off on him. Normally he can just talk shit to the third person in the booth. You can't talk shit to Stephanie.

Oh part of why I liked the women's rumble was definitely because I kept it muted except for countdown/entrance and the finish.

Wanted to like it and wasn't about to let Cole or Steph interfere with that.

• Like 1

I spared myself Cole and Stephanie, I switched over to the Japanese commentary. Funaki is still no. 1.

Both rumbles were surprisingly good. Hurricane and Rey were great surprises.

I’m surprised they didn’t debut Rousey tonight on Raw but they got what they wanted out of it.

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

I thought the Women's Rumble was fun, but I didn't like that it was a sprint of a match going just under an hour and Michelle "Mrs. Undertaker" McCool getting the most eliminations with 5 bothers me. She hasn't wrestled in 7 years and comes back for a one shot and sets the record for most eliminations in the debut Women's Rumble. 

She's Kane's sister-in-law.  Eliminations come naturally for that family...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

So thinking of past Rumbles while watching last night's Rumbles, and how the last several years have been considered bad Rumbles but last night's were universally praised as great Rumbles, I think I have the formula for a good Rumble figured out.

The most important thing, of course, is who wins. The Rumble itself could be great from start to finish, but if Roman Reigns wins again it will be panned as the "worst Rumble ever". The winner is, I'd say, a good 90% of people walking away saying it was a "good Rumble". They got both right last night. Had Roman won, I guarantee most who are praising the Rumble today would've been touting the whole event as a failure even if every other thing was exactly the same.

Those who start the Rumble in the 1 and 2 spots also is important. They set the tone and get things started. If a Rumble started with Titus O'Neil and Heath Slater, it's on the wrong foot right off the bat. Not that those guys don't have a place in the Rumble - as Heath proved last night - but kicking it off isn't their right spot. Ax and Smash as 1 and 2 in the first PPV Rumble still sticks out as one of the best starts ever, to me. I feel that both Rumbles got that right last night with Finn/Rusev and Sasha/Becky.

Then, the follow up spots - 3 through 5 - are also important. They have to be enough to keep the excitement going and not drag down the initial excitement from wearing off immediately. From there until the last 5 spots it can really be anything. There may be dull spots, but sprinkle in the occasional big name like Rollins or Cena or a surprise entrant like Hurricane and the occasional comedy spot and you can keep the excitement in the air. You can't have to many Apollo Crews or Dana Brookes coming out in succession. Again, nothing against those lower card guys, but they don't exactly amp up the excitement level of a Rumble.

The final 5 should pop the crowd for almost all of them. Big names or surprises: Rey, Roman, Bayley, etc.

#30 should always be a big spot. Ziggler was not that spot. I know what they were trying for with him coming out at 30, but it fell flat because Ziggler isn't as big of a deal as they want him to be. I think they should've switched Rey and Ziggler's spots. Rey coming out at 30 would've been a huge surprise. It already was, but at #30 it would've been bigger and it would've been a good call back to his last Rumble where he came out at #30 but was booed out of the building because he wasn't Daniel Bryan. The women's Rumble got it right with Trish. The crowd was chanting for Rousey. If it were Bayley or Tamina or even Molly Holly, I don't think it would've worked to keep the crowd happy that it wasn't Rousey. But Trish is arguably one of the biggest women's name in wrestling of the past 10 years, so she worked perfectly here.

Both Rumbles got almost all of these things down pat last night. I'd say the women's Rumble had it a little easier since they had so many surprise returns and was able to keep everybody on their toes as to who would be coming out next, as well as it being the first ever Women's Rumble. It was easier to keep that fire and excitement level up high. Bottom line, both Rumbles were a lot of fun last night, even with a few dull spots or botched moves or whatever. But ultimately, they both had good pacing and they both had the right winners. Good stuff.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Commentary was a weak point all night, Lawler was pretty dreadful during the men's rumble too. 

Would you expect anything else from Jerry Lawler? I'm thankful he wasn't calling the women's rumble.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought Stephanie's commentary was fine. I appreciated that she laughed at natural spots, like when Carmella ducked out in terror on the Asuka kick.

As oppossed to stuff like Cole's "YEAH~!~!~!~!~!" when Lita's music hit.

Its odd, I'm not sure how, but I kind of tune out a good 60% of the commentary to the point where even when it sucks it really doesn't bother me. For me Steph was actually fine for th emost part. She could have sounded a bit more excited, but she seemed to do fine.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nate said:

Y'know, in an alternate universe, Nak's reply to Renee is "Brock LESNAR!" and we're here losing our fucking minds.

Meh. It's been done. And at a time when Brock's matches weren't "I'mma suplex you til I'm bored.". Styles v. Nakamura is a better match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nate said:

This came up several times in my viewing party .... is there going to be a women's Rumble every year?

I think the success or failure of this year's was going to shape the answer to that question.

It clearly didn't fail so I'm sure there will be more.

Roster size may keep it to 20 instead of 30 in future years when they won't have quite as many nostalgia/comeback acts to supplement with, but this was certainly good enough to do again.

Stephanie commentated like she knew everything that was going to happen. It was some of the worst announcing I'd ever heard. Lawler was also awful as usual, and Cole's "yachting" thing was legendarily bad. I quite enjoyed the show, but the commentating was totally worth complaining about.