DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 POST SHOW DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So I'm about as anti-Rousey as they come, mainly because of my wrestling bubble/primacy mentality. I don't love an outsider celebrity (athlete or no) coming in and being pushed to the top and taking spots, etc. And MMA is always a shaky thing to begin with for lots of reasons (WON, how it sort of stole the last wrestling boom, annoying fans, etc). 

But man, her coming out with the Piper gear and the oversized hand me down jacket (look at it over her hand the first time she points to the sign in the ring) and the kid in a candy store smile that she couldn't keep off her face even as she was trying to look tough and Joan Jett, like she was the biggest fan in the world. And the fact that she let Asuka get one over on her right from the get go (Asuka is such a star). Ronda Rousey was pretty damn endearing last night. 

• Like 4

It's kinda cool how the Women's Rumble was more entertaining than the Men's. It helps that it came off so old school with the high amount of surprise entrants and your proverbial Andre figure.

All the return gals held their own. Kelly surprised me by actually being decent. The biggest surprise/non-surprise: Molly Holly was freakin crisp... like she's been teaching or training on the side, stepping into the ring like it was second nature to her.

Rumble matches were fun, other matches were ok, Raw Tag match seemed to drag I just wasn't into the story of the match at all, probably cause I don't really like Rollins that much. Thought they gave too many eliminations to the legends in the womens rumble but that's kinda nitpicking. Thought Trish, Beth, Molly and Lita all looked really good, would like to see some of them work part time schedules to help fill out the women's rosters and keep things fresh.

Coming out of the rumble my dream Mania card is:

AJ/NAK, Brock/Braun (could be brawl for all rules why not), Ronda/Charlotte, Asuka/Alexa, Sasha/Trish, Nia/Phoenix, Miz/Roman, Liv&Ruby/Mandy&Sonya, Roode/Mysterio, Usos/The Bar unification match, Big E/Mahal pancake match(rules to be made up by New Day)

7 minutes ago, turk128 said:

The biggest surprise/non-surprise: Molly Holly was freakin crisp... like she's been teaching or training on the side, stepping into the ring like it was second nature to her.

There were rumors that she had been training again recently. I agree. She looked great. 

13 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

One my favorite moments was Saxton FINALLY standing up for himself, and telling  Graves to shut up so he could speak...which was followed by...silence. 

Graves purposely plays a great bully to the more timid commentators, great because he will not steamroll his victim and not give them a word in. He purposely goads them to speak back and actually, you know,  grow a spine (and maybe a personality in the process).

He did wonders for Young Boy Tom; its night and day if you look at how timid Tom was earlier, he's so much more confident now.

9 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Very pleased that the payoff to Ziggler forfeiting the US title was him coming out to no reaction and getting murked out within a few minutes.

So, is the KFC Rumble going to go down as Ric Flair's retirement match?

Dolph Ziggler making an indefensible and idiotic career move because he thinks he's much bigger than he actually is and then making a grand return to an even lesser position than he was in before to zero fanfare may be some of the most accurate in-character writing the WWE has done in years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I wonder if their thoughts are "let's just get the Roman going over Brock over and done with, but we'll save Brock really putting over someone with Braun till Summerslam"

Brock ain't putting Braun over at Summerslam. WWE is able to keep Braun until August, but who knows if they will. And Meltzer was talking about them running Lashley vs Lesnar. 

And I'd much, much, MUCH rather see Braun vs Roman for the Universal title at Summerslam than Brock vs Braun. We know that Braun vs Roman is money. Everything those guys do together is awesome. 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Rousey signing.  I'm assuming "full-time schedule" will be an overstatement, but it's huge coup for WWE if she's even on tv most weeks.  If she really is joining the roster full-time, holy shit!  I can't think of a solid reason why she'd need/want to tie herself that closely to the WWE.  I'm sure she could still get booked in UFC if she wanted, and she has plenty of other avenues to make money.  

I dunno.  Best I can come up with to explain this is.... blackmail?

They were talking about Rousey on Boomer and Gio on the FAN this morning and Gio was pissing me off bad with the talking point of "she must feel really bad about herself going from the top of real fighting to that fake fighting stuff." Boomer, who usually I can't stand, was actually a Bengal at the same time as Brian Pillman and started being a voice of reason concerning the athleticism etc. and Rousey getting more eyes on WWE.