DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 POST SHOW DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

"Kiari Sane is a yachting enthusiast, thus the boating theme" has to be one of Michael Cole's worst calls ever. 

"Fred Ottman is a literal actual boat that floats around in the ocean, thus the boating theme."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

10 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Oh my god can anyone explain to me the logic in how they book him?

- They build him up in announcing like he's about to get a huge push

- They put him in feuds that are clearly meant to elevate him

- Then in the ring they book him like a comedy heel

- Then after losing, usually hilariously, they have him go on a mini-Strowman rampage like he's about to get a huge push

- Then they announce him like he's getting a huge push

- Then in the ring they book him like a comedy heel

- Then he goes on a rampage like he's about to get a huge push

- then....

I'll take the start-stop push of Baron Corbin over the non-stop push of Jinder Mahal any day.  Baron was actually pretty badass on Breaking Ground.  He needs to be THAT guy and stop telling people who don't know who he is to be who he isn't.

And BTW, after Jinder beat Nakamaura at SummerSlam and you all said Shinsuke was dead in the water (while pretending you actually liked Mahal)...remind me who won the Rumble and who got pancakes thrown at them after they were tossed like a geek?

• Like 1

I'm watching the last match while I read through this and I just marked the fuck out for Vickie Guerrero and then again when she smashed Carmella with the briefcase.

If you had told me, by the way, that 15 mins. into the women's rumble Michelle McCool and Lana would be alone in the ring I would have told you that sounds like a nightmare. But it wasn't.

• Like 2

I loved 98% of the booking here.

Ziggler's arc was pointless. Now he just looks like a chump who vacated a title for no reason.

The Rousey thing was awkward as hell. Point. Smile. Stare down. Repeat. Should have had Asuka call out Alexa while Charlotte acts all offended that she wasnt worth Asuka's time only to get got by Rhonda. Rhonda can then say she was waiting to see who the Rumble winner chose before taking her shot so it "nothing personal".

On the plus side -

Nia is a giant who looked like she had finally worked out how to be a damn giant. So much fire, aggression and personality. Give me THAT Nia vs Asuka please.

Rusev Day need to dethrone The Usos at Mania. The crowd will lose their minds if those guys go over.

I think we might get AJ v Nak you guys BUT Im calling it to be THE main event. Reigns beating Lesnar will happen in the midcard so that the crowd can get it out of their system.

The Raw tag match was great! Seth with a hell of a showing and Jordan was perfect getting hurt, bravely tagging in only to turn around and complain about being hurt to Seth.

Triple threat was obviously set up to keep Super Braun out of the Rumble without being pinned. Going to need a huge effort to take him out in the Chamber match.

Finally Torrie Wilson looked incredible. I think she is even better looking now than she was in her "prime".

The more I think about this show.  I think this was the most fun I've had watching a WWE PPV since WrestleMania XXX.  That was the last big show where I felt everything clicked top to bottom between elevating performers, nostalgia bits,  in-ring action and comedy.   There's been good stuff going on but it's usually hit or miss.  This was just perfect.  

Only just finished the show 15-20 mins. ago.

I didn't pay much attention to Styles vs. Owens/Sami though it seemed like there were some neat moments.

Usos vs. Shelton/Gable was good though the quick second fall was a bit weird.

Seth/Jason vs. The Bar was good, but died a slow death crowd wise with its placement.

Brock vs. Strowman vs. Kane was good stuff with all three guys just trying to wreck each other. I love that Braun was actually smart trying to destroy Brock with multiple slams before trying to pin. I also loved Brock being freaked out when Braun burst through the tables. Even now it feels like they could easily do Brock vs. Braun again with Braun being the only guy who seems to scare Brock somewhat.

The Rumble matches were so damn good.

The Men's Rumble last 10 minutes or so with old guard vs. new guard and then supermen vs. fan favorites was great stuff. I called Roman getting used again for the heel role, but I didn't think Cena would get used as well.

The Women's Rumble was my MOTN. Loved all of the callbacks to old feuds and friendships. Trish, Jackie, Molly, and Beth all looked good-great despite having bee away for so long. Nia looked great as a monster. Loved Naomi getting the Kofi spot. Sasha going full heel by the end was awesome. Charlotte's WTF reaction to hr throwing out Bayley was perfect. I don't care about Rousey, but her coming out at the end was nice, especially with Asuka playing it smart and still keeping some attention on herself. I do wish Victoria was one of the surprises, but this really couldn't have gone much better. Can't believe how many matches this left me wanting to see. I do feel kind of sorry for Bliss though since she felt like a bit of an afterthought at the end.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So 9 NXT women turned into... 2

I called this being bs. Too many older talent in decent shape and who are a lot more recognizable.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

@Kevin Wilson is gonna be livid when he sees who eliminated Kairi Sane

No that was more me, and I actually like Dana. That was still bs.

4 hours ago, Rows said:

Cena and Nikki both got stomped out when they showed up

I'm fond of both and still loved that. Nikki's beat down was a great setup for Brie's return.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They could legitimately have 3-4 women's matches at WrestleMania and I'd be happy to see them.  

Asuka vs. Alexa for the women's title 

Ronda vs. Charlotte for the women's title 

Sasha vs. Bayley....  add on..  

You could switch Asuka to vs. Sasha, Charlotte, or Rousey and I would be pretty pleased. Really there were nice match ups I would love to see WM or not.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:
No heat at all on Brock for legitimately stiffing Braun Strowman here?   I know it's Brock Lesnar, but if it's not OK for Sexy Star, why is it OK for Brock Lesnar?

It was a receipt for the knee from Braun. No one got pissed at Brock for doing this two years ago to Strowman during the Rumble itself. In general there is also a certain amount of stiffness to expect from Brock matches as he does seem to want his stuff to be a bit more loose in terms of how much guys hold back. Sexy Star attacked and hurt someone who wasn't doing shit to her instead of the person  who was stiffing her. That said, it was still a somewhat dick move on Brock's part though I'm guessing Strowman bothers him a bit more than others because of his size.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, We Are The Robots said:

BTW just watching the women's rumble again. Trish doesn't do anything close to the tongue thing with Mickie. She holds up seven fingers and that's it.

Then they edited it already

2 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Disappointed the two Japanese winning the Rumbles back to back didn't lead to a Benoit/Guerrero moment with them and Mr Fuji and Russo all bowing at each other before throwing salt in each others' eyes as the feed goes out.

They could have Pearl Harbored Ronda.