DVDVR Message Board

The XFL Reboot Starts Today

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

How soon before there is this Danny Almonte type scandal where there is a dominant team w/ black players that are the skin color of like Ben Jealous or Rock Newman and the league allows it anyway? Because these are the same folks that would probably say, "Well they're black but I mean they're not really black."

"Whites and high yallers only"

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

"Whites and high yallers only"

I can't wait until the fans from the first three or so weeks begin to call themselves purists and say that league was better when the one drop rule was still in effect. It will be like the inverse of hand checking.

• Like 1

One of my favorite WWF Superstars "city tourism" openings ever is when Vince proudly proclaimed that the city they were in were home to the champions of the 6-foot-five-and-under World Basketball League.

The league folded by 1992, and one of its owners ended up serving 11 years in prison for embezzling 10 million dollars from the pharmacy chain he ran to help fund the league.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, John Austin said:

Holy crap. The name Don Lewis is infamous in GA Independent wrestling circles, tried numerous times to do something in the Atlanta area but no real wrestler would work for him because they knew he was full of ish. So this is what he's moved on to? Good lord.

It's an old story... the league never went anywhere once people realized it was a sleazy rassling promoter trying to get some heat.

20 hours ago, Pete said:

What a racist piece of shit.  Thankfully it was just a fucked up idea and nothing more.  And if any players actually signed on for it then that would have been a career killer for them if they had NBA hopes.

I found Don's Facebook page and the first thing I saw was an article from Brietbart.  Yep, still a racist piece of shit who unfortunately is now president of World Boxing Union.  Was kind of hoping he got shamed into just sitting at home doing nothing.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:22 PM, clintthecrippler said:

One of my favorite WWF Superstars "city tourism" openings ever is when Vince proudly proclaimed that the city they were in were home to the champions of the 6-foot-five-and-under World Basketball League.

The league folded by 1992, and one of its owners ended up serving 11 years in prison for embezzling 10 million dollars from the pharmacy chain he ran to help fund the league.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_I._Monus

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Vince isn't having a good week

There is now ANOTHER league forming to rival the XFL and this one has involvement of Ex-NFL guys.

Oh and it is being done by Dick Ebersol's kid... who happened to direct the XFL 30 for 30

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22844453/xfl-documentary-maker-plans-own-football-league

While Vince McMahon promises to bring back a revamped XFL in 2020, a son of McMahon's partner in the original short-lived XFL venture said his football league will come first. And some big NFL names will be involved.

Charlie Ebersol, who directed a documentary on the XFL that aired last year as part of ESPN's 30 for 30 series, announced Tuesday that his league, the Alliance of American Football, plans to debut Feb. 9, 2019, the week after Super Bowl LIII. The season will run 10 weeks and will have 50-man teams.

Ebersol's father, Dick Ebersol, was McMahon's partner in the original XFL and is a longtime television executive.

To help him steer the league, Ebersol brought on former NFL general manager Bill Polian, currently an analyst for ESPN. The player side will be overseen by former Pro Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, while the team side will be guided by former USC standout and executive J.K. McKay.

Advisers to the league also will include former NFL players Hines Ward and Justin Tuck, as well as Dick Ebersol.

While McMahon's league is backed by McMahon's money, Ebersol's league is backed by others, including former Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen, Peter Thiel's Founders Fund and The Chernin Group, which, among other investments, owns a significant share of Barstool Sports.

They might want to play down the Peter Thiel involvement part but that is just me

Also - what was not noted in that story (since ESPN is bitter) they already have a TV deal with CBS

Of course - again - they are being backed by Peter Thiel

Just now, Craig H said:

I can't remember, but did Vince even announce any sort of leadership structure for the league? Sounds like this AAF has their shit together more than the XFL does.

Vince announced nothing other than he didn't want criminals

• Haha 2

Am I the only one who doesn't have an issue with football that can be fixed with more football?  It is kind of my argument against arming more people to counter gun violence.  I've been in a place where shots rang out, and the last thing I wanted, needed, or asked for were more gunshots.  The problems I have with football are we act like football means something that it doesn't.  We act like a game where the biggest, strongest, and fastest people possible run into each other as hard as possible can be made "safer."  We act like it's crazy when someone moving faster than any of us have ever moved hit someone else who is moving just as fast in the head when there is pretty much no way to aim in the amount of time they have to react.  We act like once those injuries happen, the players either need to self report that injury and get off the field or stop being a bitch and keep playing...nothing in between.  That is the sport.  There really isn't shit you can do to change it.  Starting 2 more leagues just adds more of the above...with worse players.

• Like 6

Yeah I hate Peter Thiel but Vince 'bout to learn what it feels like when a real Billionaire shows up to the rich guy fight.

tumblr_inline_nptrcbJkGI1tnsvf5_500.gif

Bonus is that Vince will probably personally work himself right into the grave trying to get this going and Thiel will likely send three texts and forget about it until he holographs in for opening day.

• Haha 2

Elon Musk sounds like a jackass, but a Zero Gravity Football League would mean that we're still on for Jim Bexley Speed setting the single season yardage record for the London Jets in 2174-75. I am conflicted, because Red Dwarf being right about anything would be hilarious. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, piranesi said:

Yeah I hate Peter Thiel but Vince 'bout to learn what it feels like when a real Billionaire shows up to the rich guy fight.

tumblr_inline_nptrcbJkGI1tnsvf5_500.gif

Bonus is that Vince will probably personally work himself right into the grave trying to get this going and Thiel will likely send three texts and forget about it until he holographs in for opening day.

There is a non-zero chance that this is another scheme for Thiel to harvest the blood of the young, so he might actually be interested in this.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oliver Luck - high level NCAA executive and Andrew Luck's Dad - will be the CEO and commissioner of the XFL

So, when Andrew Luck's shoulder never heals, and he's out of the NFL, he becomes the new Tommy Maddox.  

I got to know Luck a little when he was athletic director at WVU a few years ago.  Not pleased Vince has drug him into this silliness.

Mr. Luck going to regret this move when the XFL folds with two years left on the contract and he discovers a clause in the contract calls for him to work out the remainder of the contract as Raw's new GM.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...