DVDVR Message Board

The XFL Reboot Starts Today

RIPPA

22 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

oh if they go the "liberal heel teams" route like I'm semi-predicting, I definitely see the Chicago team nickname being an offensive allusion to Obama.

If there is a Chicago team (they had the lowest attendance in the original XFL), they need to be named the Chicago Punks. If Moline was not across the state from Chicago, I would definitely call them the Chicago-Moline Punks.

XFL round 1 had NFL stadiums (Soldier Field, Giants Stadium, LA Coliseum). The San Francisco team averaged 35, 000 fans a game at PacBell Park. People will go watch football, even if it is not great. Do I think it is going to work? Nope. Would I watch a game on a random March weekend if nothing was going on? Probably.

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The only way the XFL can have a fighting chance would be by putting their teams in strong college football markets and trying to get alumni of the college team that didn't make it to the Pros (with only Birmingham going to a strong college market last time).

I'm trying to think of a football-related activity I'm less likely to do than watch the last two perfectly average, perfectly unexciting starting QB's for my alma mater start for a semi-pro team in a startup league.  Still thinking.

To wit: To support my alma mater, I'll stand in the rain on a frigid November day with temps in the upper 30's and watch our 2016 QB put up decent yardage numbers while not finding the end zone against a mediocre defense and putting up a QB rating of 70.  Take school loyalty out of the equation and I might watch the same guy QB the Wichita White People in Vince's startup league.  But only if they're on tv, I'm kinda bored, and the room the tv is in is not too warm or too cold.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dewar said:

If there is a Chicago team (they had the lowest attendance in the original XFL), they need to be named the Chicago Punks. If Moline was not across the state from Chicago, I would definitely call them the Chicago-Moline Punks.

XFL round 1 had NFL stadiums (Soldier Field, Giants Stadium, LA Coliseum). The San Francisco team averaged 35, 000 fans a game at PacBell Park. People will go watch football, even if it is not great. Do I think it is going to work? Nope. Would I watch a game on a random March weekend if nothing was going on? Probably.

This was almost two decades ago on NBC in primetime. I don't think that will be replicated on AWE at 3 am.

1 hour ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I'm trying to think of a football-related activity I'm less likely to do than watch the last two perfectly average, perfectly unexciting starting QB's for my alma mater start for a semi-pro team in a startup league.  Still thinking.

To wit: To support my alma mater, I'll stand in the rain on a frigid November day with temps in the upper 30's and watch our 2016 QB put up decent yardage numbers while not finding the end zone against a mediocre defense and putting up a QB rating of 70.  Take school loyalty out of the equation and I might watch the same guy QB the Wichita White People in Vince's startup league.  But only if they're on tv, I'm kinda bored, and the room the tv is in is not too warm or too cold.

Even if just the "former college players" are still there, the same point is similar. 

The big things they'd need to do is try and take the lessons learned from the XFL's first season and learn from it, especially if football is declining.  

To succeed, they'd probably need to focus on ignored, strong college markets instead of big cities (and may have to base it in the Southeast/Texas, where football will always be king) instead of trying to make it a national league.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Would I watch a game on a random March weekend if nothing was going on? Probably.

I think the fact that in the streaming era now there is no such thing as "a random March weekend when nothing is going on" is the big killer here.  There is literally 7000 hours of amazing things I haven't gotten around to watching yet that I would rather watch than a crappy D-league football game. I think the number of people so into football that this isn't true for has to be tiny.

9 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I think the fact that in the streaming era now there is no such thing as "a random March weekend when nothing is going on" is the big killer here.  There is literally 7000 hours of amazing things I haven't gotten around to watching yet that I would rather watch than a crappy D-league football game. I think the number of people so into football that this isn't true for has to be tiny.

Yeah, I was going to say that as a reason why there wouldn't be there that many people at the games. Between work and catching up on a ton of entertainment related stuff, I don't see any reason I should take time out of my schedule to devote 2 and 1/2 hours to meaningless football just because "competition". And I'm just getting back into pro wrestling so that leaves even less time for something else.

Hell, I barely pay attention to the NFL games as they go on. Why? I'm trying to watch something else most of the time.

Also, what in Vince's nature makes anyone believe he isn't going to try to make this as grandiose as possible? So this college market talk is useless. He wouldn't do that at 42 let alone at 72.

• Like 1

I'd like to think Vince was a little humbled last time he tried to shop the programming around like it was worth NFL or NASCAR money and no one would give him a better deal than NBC/Universal. But if he wasn't humbled by XFL bombing then it might take him physically injuring himself just by doing a light sprint into the ring...no wait...I think this guy might be shameless and beyond embarrassment.

Watched the press conference this morning.

Vince: "We are going to give fans what they want."

Me: "Awesome.  I kinda want to see you toss lots and lots of money into this tar pit of a business venture, only to see it fail in spectacular fashion.  Glad to see we're thinking alike."

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, piranesi said:

If Raw gets better with Vince distracted by football and the ratings go up, I can't tell you how excited I am for the XFL invasion angle we will 100% get.

Isn’t Archibald Peck a writer on Raw now? This could end in a “Day the Music Died” PPV.

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Isn’t Archibald Peck a writer on Raw now? This could end in a “Day the Music Died” PPV.

Everytime I'm reminded he's a writer I'm amazed and happy for him yet astounded he's there at the same time.  I say let him go wacky and be sole writer for the Hardy segments.

As for the XFL invasion if the first wave of invaders doesn't pan out they can always introduce "He Hate Me" in the "Legends" division.  That'll put butts in seats.

• Like 1

A few pages back there was talk about Alpha buying the XFL trademarks from WWE, but if I'm not mistaken WWE let them lapse years ago and Alpha filed for them, and they'd be legally fair game. I'm not a lawyer though.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this while getting my oil changed, but instead of football why not do a new basketball league? You could get the kids straight out of high school and give some international guys better exposure. Make it more streetball/And-1 style and you may have a better show at being a success than you wou I'd starting a new football league. I don't know just thinking out loud. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Austin said:

I was thinking about this while getting my oil changed, but instead of football why not do a new basketball league? You could get the kids straight out of high school and give some international guys better exposure. Make it more streetball/And-1 style and you may have a better show at being a success than you wou I'd starting a new football league. I don't know just thinking out loud. 

Between college, the NBA, the And1 tour, and the D-league it's a pretty crowded space.  There have been various attempts at creating alternative basketball leagues over the past few years which have mostly crashed and burned, so I'm not sure it makes any more sense than making a new football league, except insofar as the costs would be lower.

The real reason is that basketball is just too "urban" for what Vince is going for.

7 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Between college, the NBA, the And1 tour, and the D-league it's a pretty crowded space.  There have been various attempts at creating alternative basketball leagues over the past few years which have mostly crashed and burned, so I'm not sure it makes any more sense than making a new football league, except insofar as the costs would be lower.

The real reason is that basketball is just too "urban" for what Vince is going for.

There's an answer to that...

32 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Well, that's horrifying and racist, but it's also amusing to imagine an AABL youtube highlight video set to Pat Boone that's all bounce passes and set shots.

How soon before there is this Danny Almonte type scandal where there is a dominant team w/ black players that are the skin color of like Ben Jealous or Rock Newman and the league allows it anyway? Because these are the same folks that would probably say, "Well they're black but I mean they're not really black."