DVDVR Message Board

The XFL Reboot Starts Today

RIPPA

Man he had such a chance to make something actually different.  He could have said

1) No clock stoppages except after TDs/Field goals, for injuries, and 3 timeouts per half.

2) 10 second play clock. Audible and go motherfuckers.

3) No headsets

4) Dick Butkus rule: No one over 260 Lbs.

5) Leather helmets

Tell me ya'll wouldn't at least give that a chance to see how the game would look.

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

I doubt they go for stadiums because there are lease problems.  The NFL is not going to let them use their buildings so maybe soccer stadiums which are much smaller?

The big problem with that would be it would be smaller for lease problems, but going with soccer stadiums would shoot the XFL in the foot in a different way.

The only way the XFL can have a fighting chance would be by putting their teams in strong college football markets and trying to get alumni of the college team that didn't make it to the Pros (with only Birmingham going to a strong college market last time).

By contrast, the  only MLS team in a strong college market that doesn't have an NFL team already is Columbus, so that takes a weakness for getting teams ready for XFL teams.

8 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

The only way the XFL can have a fighting chance would be by putting their teams in strong college football markets and trying to get alumni of the college team that didn't make it to the Pros (with only Birmingham going to a strong college market last time).

Unless they can use the actual names of the schools as team names, I don't see that working either. What incentive is there to care? How attached are folks to players who had one good year at their alma mater and faded into obscurity? That just sounds like a parade of sadness. It would be like asking someone who didn't make it to college to go back to their high football stadium and play semi high school contact football an hour and a half before the Friday night games kick off.

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Unless they can use the actual names of the schools as team names, I don't see that working either. What incentive is there to care? How attached are folks to players who had one good year at their alma mater and faded into obscurity? That just sounds like a parade of sadness. It would be like asking someone who didn't make it to college to go back to their high football stadium and play semi high school contact football an hour and a half before the Friday night games kick off.

So, you mean like a lot of older high school or college football fans anyway? 

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I'd rather have an all fat guy league than a league of all guys under 260.

The former is way more likely given the physique/tall guy obsession. Also, a Sumo Football League watched by white nationalists (or "racial realists") and people who have an elementary understanding of social reform and activism, and that will face a concussion class action lawsuit three years after it folds is something that deserves to be a part of Vince McMahon's legacy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think we have our tagline for this disaster in the making.

XFL 2: Parade of Sadness

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

WIth how hot the NBA is, he should have started a basketball league. No age minimums, fuck take middler schoolers! 4 point shots! Bring in hockey style substitutions. It would be bat shit insane, but would it really be worse than this piece of shit? 

• Like 3

Ok, I joked about this in the general thread but think about it. If you took all of the major sports in the US, the biggest decline in any of them since, say the early 2000's would probably be NASCAR. But in the same time period, I think it could be easily argued that the equivalent to that drop is major league pro wrestling. So the guy that oversaw that decline is going to start up a league and take on the biggest sports monopoly that has ever been. OK. 

You think the NFL is in some major decline? The week this XFL stuff started the NFL got a sponsorship deal from Verizon for 5 years, 2.5 billion. Billion with a B. Vince will basically be starting up some random local indy fed to go against the WWE, not  even TNA. 

This will be a glorious train wreck for sure.

And please, no one forget that MLK is Vince's hero.

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

The big problem with that would be it would be smaller for lease problems, but going with soccer stadiums would shoot the XFL in the foot in a different way.

By contrast, the  only MLS team in a strong college market that doesn't have an NFL team already is Columbus, so that takes a weakness for getting teams ready for XFL teams.

Philadelphia Union has a stadium.

I have no idea if this gets off the ground but at least the popcorn will be delicious while I watch.

3 hours ago, piranesi said:

Man he had such a chance to make something actually different.  He could have said

1) No clock stoppages except after TDs/Field goals, for injuries, and 3 timeouts per half.

2) 10 second play clock. Audible and go motherfuckers.

3) No headsets

4) Dick Butkus rule: No one over 260 Lbs.

5) Leather helmets

Tell me ya'll wouldn't at least give that a chance to see how the game would look.

It doesn't start until 2020 so there is no need to give details.  At this point in time, details box you in.  Just give the bare minimums.

31 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Ok, I joked about this in the general thread but think about it. If you took all of the major sports in the US, the biggest decline in any of them since, say the early 2000's would probably be NASCAR. But in the same time period, I think it could be easily argued that the equivalent to that drop is major league pro wrestling. So the guy that oversaw that decline is going to start up a league and take on the biggest sports monopoly that has ever been. OK. 

You think the NFL is in some major decline? The week this XFL stuff started the NFL got a sponsorship deal from Verizon for 5 years, 2.5 billion. Billion with a B. Vince will basically be starting up some random local indy fed to go against the WWE, not  even TNA. 

This will be a glorious train wreck for sure.

And please, no one forget that MLK is Vince's hero.

It kills me that Vince McMahon has failed at everything outside of pro wrestling, but Al Haymon parlayed promoting music concerts into managing a fighter who was an anti box office draw into having the largest PPV buyrates and gates of all time (BTW in the same era Vince said PPV was dying) and THEN finessed rich white investors into giving him 434 million dollars for a boxing company that wasn't going to succeed on network TV anyway. Yet, Vince is the genius. What a world.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It kills me that Vince McMahon has failed at everything outside of pro wrestling, but Al Haymon parlayed promoting music concerts into managing a fighter who was an anti box office draw into having the largest PPV buyrates and gates of all time (BTW in the same era Vince said PPV was dying) and THEN finessed rich white investors into giving him 434 million dollars for a boxing company that wasn't going to succeed on network TV anyway. Yet, Vince is the genius. What a world.

When you look at all of the money being thrown around sports these days, you just have to wonder if this is just Vince the promoter thinking he will get his cut.  The Verizon deal.  NBA sports betting.  All of the outlets begging for content.  They swindled Facebook into exclusive content.  Amazon bidding for NFL games because they want eyeballs on their product.

Despite all of the garbage in the press, you still sit down and watch.  You play your fantasy sports.  Your eyeballs are sticky for advertising and outlets like Netflix and FAcebook want you on their sites as much as possible.

14 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

When you look at all of the money being thrown around sports these days, you just have to wonder if this is just Vince the promoter thinking he will get his cut.  The Verizon deal.  NBA sports betting.  All of the outlets begging for content.  They swindled Facebook into exclusive content.  Amazon bidding for NFL games because they want eyeballs on their product.

Even if there was a market for an alternative to the NFL and a "cut" to be gained, Vince will be long gone by the time the league was in the black.  He had his shot when he was younger and more able bodied. It didn't work. Now, the NFL has a tighter stranglehold on the sport and no one is going to spend money on an entity with no intrinsic value. All those conference call buzzwords (like from the person I quoted earlier) the WWE brass likes to use don't mean jackshit. The people he needs for this to work aren't WWE investors and unfortunately for Vince and his pockets...this isn't the WWE. He didn't survive in shark infested waters then and certainly won't now at death's door and having created more enemies behind the scenes. The fact that no one stopped him from doing this is depressing as all hell.

9 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

the talent drop off will be such that at least one team will be fielding a white running back.

You know how people get when there's a white running back.

The league itself won't be more racist directly, the fan base will just feel more comfortable letting their racism flag fly (and the XFL won't be in a position to alienate those fans even if they wanted to)

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.

Actually my first thought was that Shitforbrains was going to misappropriate federal funds to help prop up his buddy's rival football league to keep sticking it to the NFL, but now that you say it, money flowing in the other direction is more likely.

Definitely will be some symbiotic promotion.  He'll definitely turn up for the league opener and championship game, probably spend a bunch of time putting it over via twitter.

And instead of giving out those tacky rings to the league champions, President Pussygrabber will just fix the winning team up with Russian hookers to pee on their heads! Making football great again! Since I love wrestling and loathe football, this whole thing couldn't possibly be more of a win/win. We all know that VKM has the attention span of a ground squirrel and anything that's new and bright and shiny will distract him, so this whole football thing should keep him well away from wrestling, leaving it in Trip's hands which is better for all concerned. Further, I revel in anything that causes VKM to lose boatloads of money and if President Pussygrabber loses a few mil himself, so much the better. This should be a delightful trainwreck to read about without having to actually watch it.

Any bets on how many teams will have names with racist connotations? I'm going with four.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Even if there was a market for an alternative to the NFL and a "cut" to be gained, Vince will be long gone by the time the league was in the black.  He had his shot when he was younger and more able bodied. It didn't work. Now, the NFL has a tighter stranglehold on the sport and no one is going to spend money on an entity with no intrinsic value. All those conference call buzzwords (like from the person I quoted earlier) the WWE brass likes to use don't mean jackshit. The people he needs for this to work aren't WWE investors and unfortunately for Vince and his pockets...this isn't the WWE. He didn't survive in shark infested waters then and certainly won't now at death's door and having created more enemies behind the scenes. The fact that no one stopped him from doing this is depressing as all hell.

You should look at the positives.  The more Vince is involved here the more HHH/Steph will run Raw and Smackdown.

11 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Any bets on how many teams will have names with racist connotations? I'm going with four.

oh if they go the "liberal heel teams" route like I'm semi-predicting, I definitely see the Chicago team nickname being an offensive allusion to Obama.

12 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

You should look at the positives.  The more Vince is involved here the more HHH/Steph will run Raw and Smackdown.

I missed the first couple questions of the presser but I think Vince said he would still be running WWE that this venture changes NOTHING.   So, we are still stuck with him..