DVDVR Message Board

The XFL Reboot Starts Today

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Congratuations to Johnny Manziel on his forthcoming billboards, posters, commercials etc

Right now Jey Uso is glad that he never learned how to throw a football

Wow that XFL promo video is hilarious.  They are basically saying that gambling will be encouraged with fantasy leagues and whatever that roulette thing is

1 minute ago, CSC said:

You know ... a soccer style 2 half running clock football game all finished in under 2 hours really isn't the worst idea ever...

That would certainly make it different enough, but I would guess they could cut the time back by simply making quarters last 10 minutes. I like the idea of it being soccer style though.

Halftime seems almost necessary though so coaches can make adjustments, players can receive treatments, etc.

40 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

The only way I can kinda sorta see this working is if the entire goal isn't to really stick it to the NFL, but to the NCAA. Offer to pay kids coming out of high school, move from there. That's the best talent base option they are gonna get.

Big college programs already pay the kids along with other stuff.  I know one 1-A coach who told me that he lived in a mansion but never stepped foot on the second floor because that is where the recruits stayed.  

I can't imagine the NCAA ratings are in much better shape than the NFL but the large alumni bases might be stickier.. 

17 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Ratings were down about 10% this year.  That still makes the NFL easily more watched than any prime time show.  IIRC, ratings for Sunday night games were something like 30% better than ratings for the #2 prime time show (Big Bang Theory, I think).

I've read a number of sports biz articles that think the lack of star power had at least as much to do with declining ratings as the kneeling controversy.  Lot of markets like Green Bay lost their star qb this year.  Apparently, casual fans don't tune in as much when the big names are out.

Cord cutting is probably the #1 factor.  I think its getting to the point where I know more people without cable than with it.  It is the same exact thing going on with ESPN.  Their market share is pretty much the same, but so many people have cut off their cable the raw numbers are much lower.

2 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Big college programs already pay the kids along with other stuff.  I know one 1-A coach who told me that he lived in a mansion but never stepped foot on the second floor because that is where the recruits stayed.  

Is there a way to wager on what team is about to be under NCAA investigation?  If so, you might want to vote on his program.  

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Is there a way to wager on what team is about to be under NCAA investigation?  If so, you might want to vote on his program.  

Every major program is like that.  The biggest lie in college sports is the kids not getting paid through relatives and those connected to the schools.  Everyone knew Pitino ran a dirty program for decades but nobody spoke up because of all the money floating around college sports.

I get the biggest surprise out of those who are upset when this stuff blow up.

1 minute ago, evilwaldo said:

Every major program is like that.  The biggest lie in college sports is the kids not getting paid through relatives and those connected to the schools.  Everyone knew Pitino ran a dirty program for decades but nobody spoke up because of all the money floating around college sports.

Nope, the biggest lie in college sports is that those kids aren't playing professional sports.  

• Like 9

Man, Vince was like a doll who could only say two things:

1) We're going to listen to football experts to shape the league

2) We're going to give fans what they want

Honestly, as a fan of football, I don't know what the fuck I want other than just football. Maybe the college OT system instead of the NFL one. Shorter quarters. Maybe lighter pads to deter players from being overly reckless. I don't know. This is just shit I'm making up. I basically just want to see the fucking guy with the football throw the thing to the other guy to make a catch and score TDs.

My biggest question really is...will I be able to play another fantasy football league with this.

Johnny Manziel would have been the perfect original XFL player.  A short guy just running like hell slinging the ball with no regards at all.  Then after scoring a TD he runs to the sideline, takes a bottle of Jack Daniels and tries to snort a line of coke off one of the "cheerleaders" tits.  

Unfortunately Tim Tebow might be the ideal person Vince wants in XFL 2020.  

• Like 1