DVDVR Message Board

The XFL Reboot Starts Today

RIPPA

By Mike Johnson on 2018-01-24 19:47:00
"Where's my football?" - Vince McMahon, XFL press conference, 2001.

It appears that if your football was the XFL, the answer is that it's indeed coming back, soon.

WWE's Production team has been working on video material geared towards promoting the impending return of the XFL of late, PWInsider.com has learned.  

The current plan, according to numerous sources, is for the football league to officially return in 2020.  The delay is to build a proper infrastructure, including hiring coaches and players.  As you might remember, the original incarnation of the XFL launched rather quickly after it was announced.  Vince McMahon is not going to make the same mistake twice.

Last year, McMahon launched a new company, Alpha Entertainment, to pursue a number of potential entertainment endeavors as well as a potental relaunch of the XFL.  It's quite interesting that despite the planned relaunch being outside of WWE's auspices, their production team has been working on video content related to the planned return of the football league.

The original XFL launched in 2001 as a joint venture between NBC and WWE, existing for one season. 

An ESPN 30For30 documentary about the rise and fall of the league included footage of McMahon and NBC Executive Dick Ebersol discussing their memories of their partnership in the league over dinner and the idea of launching it today.  During those discussions, McMahon admitted that he had "recently" had talks with Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones about the idea of a "minor league NFL."  It certainly appears that instead, the XFL will rise again.

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

In the history of modern entertainment has there ever been something that bombed so heavily that was relaunched? 

There’s no Supertrain or Ishtar 2.  

The worst part isn't even that the XFL failed, it is that football as a sport seems to be on a decline.  There is plenty of money in NFL football, NCAA football, and some high school football. . . but who is really sitting around wishing for another football league.  There are maybe 15 legitimately good quarterbacks in the NFL, the rest of those dudes are just there because someone has to play the position.  The new XFL is going to be full of dudes who can't be 3rd string NFL quarterbacks, let alone starters.  The original XFL was based on the NFL being too safe.  We are much more aware of how unsafe football is and much more weary of the injuries that football is responsible for.  I honestly don't know why anyone thinks this is a good idea.  

17 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The original XFL was based on the NFL being too safe.  We are much more aware of how unsafe football is and much more weary of the injuries that football is responsible for.  I honestly don't know why anyone thinks this is a good idea.  

That's a very valid point. Being from the UK I don't particularly care for your brand of rugby, but with NFL tanking and The Donald being so critical of it AND VKM ties to him AND the fact that Mr President also attempted an NFL competitor way back when, it seems the stars have aligned for the XFL in some form this time.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The current plan, according to numerous sources, is for the football league to officially return in 2020.  The delay is to build a proper infrastructure, including hiring coaches and players.  As you might remember, the original incarnation of the XFL launched rather quickly after it was announced.  Vince McMahon is not going to make the same mistake twice.

I love the lack of self-awareness in that last sentence.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I was thinking it was for tests shots of where a person would be standing but it also seems far taller than anyone who would be standing there.

Unless Big Show is doing the announcement

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

The worst part isn't even that the XFL failed, it is that football as a sport seems to be on a decline.  There is plenty of money in NFL football, NCAA football, and some high school football. . . but who is really sitting around wishing for another football league.  There are maybe 15 legitimately good quarterbacks in the NFL, the rest of those dudes are just there because someone has to play the position.  The new XFL is going to be full of dudes who can't be 3rd string NFL quarterbacks, let alone starters.  The original XFL was based on the NFL being too safe.  We are much more aware of how unsafe football is and much more weary of the injuries that football is responsible for.  I honestly don't know why anyone thinks this is a good idea.  

No see this time it's definitely gonna work because his friend is president and the NFL has disrespected the country/flag/true patriots by tolerating kneeling and all the masses of people upset over that are going to come running to a new football option as soon as there is one.

Also apparently according to the ESPN 30 for 30 on the XFL Vince thinks it only failed because NBC gave up on it too quickly.  All these years he's believed the concept is still solid.  The people LOVE the XFL and Roman Reigns, they just don't know it yet, damn it. ;)

• Like 2

The whole starting in 2020 business feels like a mistake.  Independent of the shaky economics of starting a minor league from scratch, I'm not sure the cultural window for "What if football but more racist?" will stay open that long.

• Like 1

Someone's reelection campaign will be in full swing, that's the perfect time to get in on the "XFL is Making American Football Great Again' wagon.  Hell, it's launching with Red, White, and Blue.

• Like 1

I highly doubt it will be more racist or violent. Those are cynical musings from all of us. The reality is that you can't go in reverse for football. You can't suddenly just go in reverse. It's still the same thing at its core that it was a year ago, which is a cash grab. There's a perception that money is available in the NFL offseason, so let's start up a minor league to get some of that money. It will just be football with different rules, but I don't see how it could possibly be more violent. More racist? I'm sure there will be rules about standing for the anthem or whatever the fuck, but I'm not sure if that makes THIS particular thing more racist.

3 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Someone's reelection campaign will be in full swing, that's the perfect time to get in on the "XFL is Making American Football Great Again' wagon.  Hell, it's launching with Red, White, and Blue.

Almost certainly what they're going for, I'm just not sure that's going to be a particularly helpful association for them by that time.

Honestly, if you told me that this was just a way to launder campaign funds for the 2020 election I would find that both extremely plausible and probably a better business model than actually running a football league.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I highly doubt it will be more racist or violent. Those are cynical musings from all of us. The reality is that you can't go in reverse for football. You can't suddenly just go in reverse. It's still the same thing at its core that it was a year ago, which is a cash grab. There's a perception that money is available in the NFL offseason, so let's start up a minor league to get some of that money. It will just be football with different rules, but I don't see how it could possibly be more violent. More racist? I'm sure there will be rules about standing for the anthem or whatever the fuck, but I'm not sure if that makes THIS particular thing more racist.

the talent drop off will be such that at least one team will be fielding a white running back.

You know how people get when there's a white running back.

The league itself won't be more racist directly, the fan base will just feel more comfortable letting their racism flag fly (and the XFL won't be in a position to alienate those fans even if they wanted to)

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Almost certainly what they're going for, I'm just not sure that's going to be a particularly helpful association for them by that time.

Honestly, if you told me that this was just a way to launder campaign funds for the 2020 election I would find that both extremely plausible and probably a better business model than actually running a football league.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.

Actually my first thought was that Shitforbrains was going to misappropriate federal funds to help prop up his buddy's rival football league to keep sticking it to the NFL, but now that you say it, money flowing in the other direction is more likely.

Definitely will be some symbiotic promotion.  He'll definitely turn up for the league opener and championship game, probably spend a bunch of time putting it over via twitter.

• Like 1