DVDVR Message Board

2018 DOCUMENTARY Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, happjack said:

Is it on any streaming service?

Google Play and YouTube both have it rentable for $3.99.  I watched it on Google Play.  It's on a couple of others too that I can't remember, but it's all "pay to see the individual movie" stuff.  It's not on Netflix.

23 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Google Play and YouTube both have it rentable for $3.99.  I watched it on Google Play.  It's on a couple of others too that I can't remember, but it's all "pay to see the individual movie" stuff.  It's not on Netflix.

Btw, Google Play and YouTube are essentially the same thing.  You can watch things you've bought on Google Play on YT, and vice versa. :)

• Thanks 1

The Staircase

Netflix released a brand new trailer and poster today for their upcoming series, The Staircase, a thirteen part true crime documentary. 

Before The Jinx, before Making a Murderer, before Serial, there was The Staircase. The titanic documentary series, which focuses on the sensational murder trial of Michael Peterson, was first broadcast fourteen years ago on French and American television. The series was updated five years ago with two new episodes. Netflix has now updated the series with an additional three new episodes that bring the story around full circle. The streaming service brings all of the episodes together so viewers can see the series in its entirety.

The series opens on December 9, 2001, as a 48-year-old Kathleen Peterson is found dead and bloodied at the bottom of a staircase in the affluent North Carolina home she shared with her husband, successful novelist and local public figure Michael Peterson. Despite his frantic 911 call reporting the discovery of her body, Peterson becomes a suspect in the police’s investigation. Soon he is charged and forced to stand trial for his wife’s death.

The Staircase takes viewers into the courtroom and grants us access to one of the deepest and most revealing explorations of the criminal justice system ever seen. In addition to Peterson, who proclaims his innocence, we are introduced to a fascinating cast of real-life characters, from dogged defense attorney David Rudolf to austere prosecutor Freda Black to famed forensic expert Henry Lee, plus Peterson’s children and stepchildren.

And all throughout, the series challenges our notions of truth and bias (as Peterson’s bisexuality is revealed as a factor in his case) while delivering more twists than a scripted drama (including the eerily similar staircase death of a woman in Peterson’s past).

The documentary series is directed by Academy Award winner Jean-Xavier de Lestrade (Murder on a Sunday Morning).

The Staircase will be available for streaming on Netflix on June 8, 2018.

BIPOLAR ROCK N' ROLLER

This is the documentary on Mauro that details his ongoing battles with bipolar disorder, and holy shit, if this preview is any indication, this doc is going to be a rough watch.  

Premieres Friday on Showtime

7 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Thanks. 

On 5/22/2018 at 1:01 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

BIPOLAR ROCK N' ROLLER

This is the documentary on Mauro that details his ongoing battles with bipolar disorder, and holy shit, if this preview is any indication, this doc is going to be a rough watch.  

Premieres Friday on Showtime

I've got this on right now, along with the Yankees/Angels game.

I watched the Kim Dotcom documentary on Hulu and it only managed to anger up my blood. Whether it be Chris Dodd's face or other MPAA goons lying thru their teeth without getting follow up questions, 

Only thing satisfying is knowing the DOJ and FBI are regularly being shit on now. 

WHITE BOY

This is a documentary about a 14 year old kid who became the youngest FBI informant in American history.  Eventually, he begins selling coke on his own and well, it goes south from there.

A movie is coming out later this year with Matt McConaughey and Jennifer Jason Leigh. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 5:15 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

A movie is coming out later this year with Matt McConaughey and Jennifer Jason Leigh. 

Trailer for that dropped within the last week. I posted it in the Upcoming Movie thread

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who really like tennis in the 80's and early 90's I was very interested in this.   The general theme is the coach who wanted a #1 player so bad that he would turn his back on his own students to go with the winner and then being the person responsible for it.   The story about Andre Agassi who was the rebel against authority that Nick loved to death and Jim Courier who was just as good and always trying to be better than Agassi in order to get Nick admiration was just fascinating.   And then dumps Agassi and works with Boris Becker who could never beat him.   Obviously the bad blood is still there because Agassi doesn't do an interview

Another great Showtime sports documentary 

• 2 weeks later...

The Whitney doc was alright, no Bobby like promised and too much '99 concert footage. Funny seeing Bobby and her doing skits from What's Love Got To Do With It and (get this) Natural Born Killers, the "bad, bad, bad!" scene. Now the Mauro doc, as sad as the Whitney doc was, that was just soul-crushing. Even if he annoys you with his commentary I would advise everyone to watch that no matter how depressing it is. 

I'm sure this has it's own thread somewhere and I just can't find it because I have early-onset Alzheimer's.  Anyway...

350 DAYS

Pro-Wrestling Documentary in theaters THIS THURSDAY ONLY.

I saw the Mr Rogers doc today. I thought it was perfectly fine. Seeing all the old stuff like the RFK episode  was intriguing. As was the PBS vs Congress stuff. 

I didn’t watch Mr Rogers or Sesame Street as a kid, so I don’t have any childhood attachment to those shows like I do Electric Company or 321 Contact. 

I am glad there are apparently no dark skeletons in Fred Rogers closet. It seems like the worst thing was being slow to accept one of his crew being gay and/or how that might effect the show’s economic viability.