DVDVR Message Board

2018 DOCUMENTARY Thread

RIPPA

Dammit, now you're gonna end up guilt-tripping me into finishing up the '80s Portland set just to see that. 

It'll be interesting watching that series and comparing it to the more current Oregon standoff with Bundy and his crowd. Seems to be something in the water up there. 

Although it’s worth noting that, presumably in the spirit of not getting sued, the Maharishi name came from a completely different group of people who were living in a small town. That being the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who has followers living in Fairfield, Iowa since the 70s.

That group had far better relations with the community than the Rajneeshis, obviously.

There’s certain things that probably can’t be squeezed out of certain sect members. One that would be a good question is “Why Oregon?”. At the very least, you can say it wasn’t a plan to take over a county from day one because 3 of the counties bordering Wasco have under 2000 people to this day. While Wasco and the Dalles had 20,000 and the threat of a Rajneeshi electoral takeover was kinda unlikely as long as they didn’t get to register drugged homeless people.

There were a few parts where the timeline wasn’t not linear if you looked up the details. Especially around the 1984 election. Also pretty sure that they didn’t mention that the Rajneeshi candidates dropped their candidates late in that cycle.

Also, the documentary didn’t mention the actual people who bombed the hotel Rajneesh, which has baffled some.

I really adored Elvis: The Searcher. I hadn't even intended on watching it, but it was on when I was channel surfing the other night and I got sucked in. It's a testament to how grossly underestimated he was as an artist that even though there have been numerous docs about him, a focused chronicle of his music career that avoids most of the dirt and circumstances around his death seems novel.

Even though it spends little time on his personal life beyond how it informed his work, the constraints put on him by his unparalleled success and his business arrangements that affected him creatively are also clearly shown to be responsible for the strange turns his life took. I got choked up at the end, especially when I realized I'd been listening to Tom Petty speak throughout the doc and I'd forgotten we lost him. 

Man...Wild Wild Country is so messed up. I went from kinda being against those folks because they were a cult, to supporting them because everyone in the town was white and bigoted, to thinking the whole thing was completely fucked.

Filmworker

Leon Vitali was a rising British television actor when Stanley Kubrick picked him for the role of Lord Bullingdon in Barry Lyndon. That first encounter with the famed auteur proved decisive — he swiftly resolved to devote the rest of his life working for the director, this time behind the scenes, and took on just about every job available: casting director, acting coach, location scouter, sound engineer, color corrector, A.D., promoter, and eventually restorer of Kubrick’s films. Tony Zierra’s affecting documentary profiles the devoted “filmworker” — Vitali’s preferred job title — as he enthusiastically recounts his days with the notoriously meticulous, volatile and obsessive director. The experiences brought both tremendous sacrifice and glowing pride. Filmworker celebrates the invisible hands that shape masterpieces, reminding us that behind every great director, there is a Leon Vitali

Whitney

It's directed by Kevin Macdonald best known for directing Last King of Scotland but he has done other documentaries (One Day in September, Touching the Void)

Wild Wild Country was very well done I thought. Made me go down a rabbit hole of other cult docs. 

The Gringo John McAfee one was also crazy. 

I also watched all those Dirty Money ones on Netflix. Those are all real good too. 

On 4/27/2018 at 9:22 AM, RIPPA said:

Whitney

It's directed by Kevin Macdonald best known for directing Last King of Scotland but he has done other documentaries (One Day in September, Touching the Void)

He also did the Marley documentary, which was pretty good.

I wonder how more could pull out of this story since Showtime did a documentary on Whitney as well which was pretty detailed and really good.  The only difference is that they have Bobby Brown which is interesting

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 9:32 PM, hammerva said:

I wonder how more could pull out of this story since Showtime did a documentary on Whitney as well which was pretty detailed and really good.  The only difference is that they have Bobby Brown which is interesting

Big revelation so far is that Whitney was molested by Dee Dee Warwick. 

If you haven't seen it yet, the four episode docuseries Evil Genius is pretty great. It covers the collar bomber robbery where the guy had a bomb around his neck and robbed a bank.  The story is way more involved and crazy than you knew. Recommended. 

THE FOURTH ESTATE

4 part documentary series covering all of 2017 at the New York Times.  Focusing on Maggie Haberman and the rest of the politics desk.