DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 27: Jacaré vs. Brunson II (1/27/2018) - Charlotte, NC (Spectrum Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_on_FOX_Charlott_Jacare_vs._Brunson_2

UFC on Fox 27: Jacaré vs. Brunson II 
January 27, 2018
Charlotte, NC (Spectrum Center)

Ronaldo Souza (186) vs. Derek Brunson (185) - Souza, KO (head kick and punches), R1 (3:50)
Dennis Bermudez (145) vs. Andre Fili (146) - Fili, DEC (split)
Jordan Rinaldi (155) vs. Gregor Gillespie (155) - Gillespie, TKO (punches), R1 (4:46)
Drew Dober (170) vs. Frank Camacho (169) - Dober, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Bobby Green (156) vs. Erik Koch (155) - Green, DEC (unanimous)
Mirsad Bektić (145) vs. Godofredo Castro (145) - Bektić, TKO (body punch), R1 (2:47)
Katlyn Chookagian (125) vs. Mara Romero Borella (125) - Chookagian, DEC (unanimous)
Randa Markos (116) vs. Juliana Lima (116) - Markos, DEC (unanimous)
Justine Kish (125) vs. Ji Yeon Kim (125) - Kim, DEC (split)
Vinc Pichel (156) vs. Joaquim Silva (155) - Pichel, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Niko Price (170) vs. George Sullivan (170) - Price, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:21)
Austin Arnett (146) vs. Cory Sandhagen (146) - Sandhagen, TKO (body punch and strikes), R2 (3:48)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Mirsad Bektić
Performance of the Night: Ronaldo Souza
Fight of the Night: Drew Dober vs. Frank Camacho

Attendance: 10,249
Gate: $944,202
Rating: 1.77 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Ovince St. Preux vs. Ilir Latifi 

Thoughts on the main? I feel like this is a fight Jacare should absolutely win but who knows where he's at being 38 and coming off a KO and a decent layoff. Just looking at his record, it really is remarkable the amount of top level fighters he's beaten over the years. What a fucking beast. Guy beat Schlemenko in his third fight way back in '06. 

Bektic vs. Godofredo could be fun, but I'm thinking Godofredo's wildness and tendency to load up his strikes mean he gets wrestlefucked. 

It's interesting to me in that Brunson seems to be on the same wavelength Gastelum's career at 185 is on. He's getting a lot of guys on the way down in terms of their career arc. With Jacare, against Whittaker, he couldn't put out the superior athlete card. I don't think Jacare is at point in his career where brute strength can drive his great technique. For years, having the body of a judoka with the amazing grappling pedigree led to all that success. Now, he has to really fight for those takedowns a little harder everytime out. Against mid tier middleweights, it's still going to work most of the time. However, like a Machida where people now have his rhythm and timing down after a few minutes, people are getting a sense that if you stop one takedown and force Jacare to expend energy and try to pump oxygen into those giant muscles that he's vulnerable. Brunson has enough grappling defense and ability to stop a Jacare takedown. It just comes down to if Brunson is going to fight a really discipline fight or is he going to get wild long enough for Jacare to capitalize. Either way, hard to see it going all twenty five.

Is Brunson as light on his feet as Whittaker is? Whittaker's agility and ability to get in and out of the pocket is phenomenal, so I'm not going to write off Jacare until I see it on a more consistent basis. I think he let his really good opportunity for a title and a decent run with it through his fingers when he lost that split decision fight to Romero though.

Brunson's one of those fighters who I've seen a lot of but have little memory of. What does he do particularly well other than his boxing?

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Is Brunson as light on his feet as Whittaker is? Whittaker's agility and ability to get in and out of the pocket is phenomenal, so I'm not going to write off Jacare until I see it on a more consistent basis. I think he let his really good opportunity for a title and a decent run with it through his fingers when he lost that split decision fight to Romero though.

Brunson's one of those fighters who I've seen a lot of but have little memory of. What does he do particularly well other than his boxing?

I would say no to the first question simply because I've seen him be awkward a few times. Whittaker is way more of a natural.

However, I would say Brunson is a good from the clinch and his kicks are really good (however, apparently the folks judging on last's year Brooklyn PPV didn't think so). His ability to chain together takedowns is a good, but he has rarely uses that since progressively getting better as a striker.

Outside of the main event, the lineup for this main card is mind-boggling.  Regardless of the lack of better talent for a big FOX card, there are definitely more fights that should be on the main card instead of Fili vs. Bermudez and Drew Dober vs. Frank Camacho.  For starters, put Bobby Green vs. Erik Koch on there as the opener. I sort of get wanting to showcase an undefeated prospect such as Gillespie, but he's not exactly a known commodity yet.  

It almost feels like the WME staff isn't putting their best foot forward here and really thinking about these lineups. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Rinaldi is a hometown guy thus why he is on the main card.

This card is one of those cards where it will probably turn out way better then you think it will on paper. 

Hometown guy or not, he's still a lesser known dude who has a 1-1 UFC record getting in a main card spot on FOX.

I can definitely see the card turning out better than how it looks on paper. I will even admit cards that don't really look like much on paper tend to be the ones that are really good. At the same time, less than impressive list of names for the main FOX lineup.  Andre Fili is in the co-main, and his biggest win is over Artem Lobov.

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Outside of the main event, the lineup for this main card is mind-boggling.  Regardless of the lack of better talent for a big FOX card, there are definitely more fights that should be on the main card instead of Fili vs. Bermudez and Drew Dober vs. Frank Camacho.  For starters, put Bobby Green vs. Erik Koch on there as the opener. I sort of get wanting to showcase an undefeated prospect such as Gillespie, but he's not exactly a known commodity yet. 

Agreed, I thought the prelims looked way more stacked than the main card.

Chookagian vs. Borella could have big ramifications for 125. If Borella pulls off another upset and thumps another opponent in quick fashion, you can invest more into her. Dober vs. Camacho is going to be a fun fight, but that's undercard fodder really. I would have replaced it with that particular fight.

Green vs. Koch is probably going to be fun, but at the same time, it's Bobby Green and Erik Koch. I'm fine with it staying on FS1 as the headliner for that portion. Bektic most likely piledriving Godofredo Pepey (0-2 in all his UFC fights outside of Brazil) into oblivion would be my 2nd choice behind Chookagian vs. Borella. Everything else can stay on FS1.

• Like 1

Sandhagen looked good but Arnett offered so little in either defence or attack that I don't know how much stock you can put into that performance.

Somebody needs to make a video of all the times Anik has laughed during commentating. Sometimes he sounds like such an immature child, it's pretty funny. Cruz: "it's just a bodylock takedown from the underhook... go figure" referencing his obsession with the underhooks in the clinch and Anik laughs like he's fuckin' Tommy Wiseau. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Sandhagen looked good but Arnett offered so little in either defence or attack that I don't know how much stock you can put into that performance.

Somebody needs to make a video of all the times Anik has laughed during commentating. Sometimes he sounds like such an immature child, it's pretty funny. Cruz: "it's just a bodylock takedown from the underhook... go figure" referencing his obsession with the underhooks in the clinch and Anik laughs like he's fuckin' Tommy Wiseau. 

For a guy who just fought last week and been in camp since October, he looked good all things considered. Looks like a very solid prospect.

The difference in Niko Price fights is going to be the wrestling. Other than trading one or two good shots with Sullivan, Price basically had a takedown contest and then finally got Sullivan's back. He was fighting someone who hadn't fought since the Rumble vs. Bader card IIRC and really didn't take advantage of all the rust. He got the choke soon after taking the back, but all together it wasn't a great performance until the last minute or so.

27 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

That Bektic body shot was wicked! I'm happy Markos won and will continue to climb up the rankings. 

Koch vs. Green was a great fight and Green went full HHH after Buffer said he won. 

Big Dan and the cameraman got the worst of that imitation.

Jordan Rinaldi never really had a chance once Gillespie got ahold of him.

I would say that's a good stoppage by Mirgaliotta. He gave Brunson time to recover and stopped it as soon it was apparent Jacare wasn't going to let him.

Very good performance by Jacare though. Brunson was surprisingly patient, but Jacare himself stayed back and hit those counter right hands. He didn't over exert himself on the takedown he didn't get, which was a big difference. He knew he needed this win and got it.

Glad to see Jacare pick up another win. I just want to see him fight for the UFC title at least once before he retires.

For once I agree with ElSal. That was a good stoppage. Derek Brunson not displaying intelligent defense.  It's better that MMA is a sport where you don't have to be completely out cold for the fight to be stopped.