DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.52

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - because I forgot Vermil coached them.

I was like "The Rams made a Super Bowl but since Jeff Fisher was the coach clearly they never won!"

Jeff Fisher coached the opposition, which might explain how they won.

And definitely explains our subconscious attempt to asterisk it.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

The call went against the Patriots.

Steel Nation is grateful for the Eagles win so they don't have that far to travel to get a look at the 52 Lombardy Trophy.

Only 5 more and the Eagles can match our Lombardis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Cris Collinsworth was beyond horrible. At one point he says, "this is getting called back so what do the Eagles do now." It made me think, wait, they made the call? WTF? How was that not a catch and a TD? He catches the ball, has control of it, takes a couple steps before diving across the end zone. The ball crossed the plane with him in control of it. Again, how is that not a TD.

And all Collinsworth could talk about was how it for sure wasn't a catch and if it wasn't a catch in Pittsburgh then it's not a catch here. How fucking dumb. Millions of people at home are doing your job better than you.

Tony Romo for everything!

It was the dumbest argument imaginable. Cindy and I were looking at each other wondering what the fuck he could've possibly seen that they didn't already show half a million times. Catch, both feet down, cross the plane, end of.

• Like 4

As a random note I'd like to thank Phil Mushnick and the Post for reminding me of Super Bowl XXIII and Stanley Wilson fucking up royally aka The Worst Moment of My Entire Childhood (With the possible exception of the Sosccia home run off Doc in game 4 of the 1988 NLCS). Thank you very fucking much.

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

It was the dumbest argument imaginable. Cindy and I were looking at each other wondering what the fuck he could've possibly seen that they didn't already show half a million times. Catch, both feet down, cross the plane, end of.

He saw the point spread he bet on evaporating :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

He saw the point spread he bet on evaporating :)

Had ESPN on at the office this morning and they were talking about Bettor X - the mystery gambler who's bet at least $6 million on the Eagles - and one of our college-aged interns walked by, heard the conversation about Bettor X, and mumbled "We all know it's Collingsworth.  Not a catch, my ass."

LOL, i don't usually gripe about announcers, but I was wondering if Collingsworth had frostbite or heatstroke or some such after that play.  Receiver caught the ball, took a step or two and dived into the endzone before he lost the ball.  Fumble was a lot more likely than incompletion.

I enjoyed the game, but didn't love it.  First three quarters were like watching Madden.  Last quarter was Patriots playing awful defense and letting Philly eat up the clock when it was fairly obvious their best chance to win was probably going to be getting the ball back into Brady's hands with time to do something.  Both teams were really one-dimensional.  Defense?  Nope.  Running game?  Not really.  Special teams?  Nope.

I was kinda disappointed that Philly finally forced a turnover with 2 min to go.  Was looking forward to seeing if Brady could live up to his rep and engineer one more comeback.

There was a commercial last night before the game, showing a female athlete signing an autograph for little girl. Inspired, the girl grows up to be an Olympic skier, and it ends with her signing for a new little girl.

Anyone remember skier's name? I want to see it again.

ETA: someone on twitter found it for me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g753pOuAeQw

Can we get a picture of Tom Brady showing good sportsmanship by shaking Nick Foles hand after the game?  Oh, wait.....

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Only 5 more and the Eagles can match our Lombardis.

But ours was won doing something you have a problem doing in the playoffs.

We will take it and savor this moment for the longest time.  1960.

Somewhere in Philly, Brady St. got renamed Foles St.

https://twitter.com/ubiqlife/status/960544110452109313

• Like 2

Let's not forget "Oh Shucks Gosh O' Golly G" Peyton Manning didn't shake Drew Bree's hand at the SuperBowl either.

"Peyton Manning, was once involved in a (conspicuously less documented) Super Bowl kerfuffle of his own, when he walked off the field after Super Bowl XLIV without shaking Drew Brees’ hand."

Interesting take on on this article from SBNation

4 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Can we get a picture of Tom Brady showing good sportsmanship by shaking Nick Foles hand after the game?  Oh, wait.....

He shook the hand of multiple Eagles on the field and then went in the hallway outside of their locker room and shook more. 

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

Cris Collinsworth was beyond horrible. At one point he says, "this is getting called back so what do the Eagles do now." It made me think, wait, they made the call? WTF? How was that not a catch and a TD? He catches the ball, has control of it, takes a couple steps before diving across the end zone. The ball crossed the plane with him in control of it. Again, how is that not a TD.

And all Collinsworth could talk about was how it for sure wasn't a catch and if it wasn't a catch in Pittsburgh then it's not a catch here. How fucking dumb. Millions of people at home are doing your job better than you.

Tony Romo for everything!

He and Al both went all-in on that play.  It was disgusting.  If they actually believed what they were saying, they are thoroughly incompetent at their jobs.  It felt to me like they were trying to create controversy and drama instead of just talking about the game.  Man, that sequence was just brutal.  Gotta sell that "man, that catch rule is so VAGUE!" narrative.  They showed a bunch of replays and I'm sitting there on my couch telling people "What the hell?  This isn't even a difficult decision.  It's not even remotely close."  And then they took half an hour to freaking decide it.  Good grief.

To me, the first one was worth a look: the ball shifted in his arms, but it looked like it never came out of contact with his body or arms.

The second was a travesty of broadcasting, the question that needed to be asked was "when did Ertz catch the ball?" and at no point did those morons commentating even think to ask it.

The BBC's Rugby broadcasts have it right: get the audio from the video referee and show the replays they're looking at as they're making the decision. 

• Like 1