DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.52

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Hamhock said:

A 40 in one hand, and an engagement ring on the other, as someone plays part of the Rocky Theme on a horn and a guy shouts an EAGLES chant with missing letters.

Only thing missing is her friend telling her she's drawlin if she don't let that boul put that jawn on her finger. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Congrats to the Eagles and their fans for the Super Bowl win.  I've slightly softened my stance on Brady over the past year but still glad the Pats didn't win.  Also, Chris Collinsworth needs to never call a Pats game again, it was painful to listen to him.  That said it was a fun game that had us on the edge of our seats until the end.

The halftimre show was rather meh but the Prince tribute was pretty cool, especially with his symbol shown throughout the city)  The best commercial by far was the NFL Dirty Dancing ad, that was top-notch stuff.  And the Double A spinebuster was the fucking best, I badly need a gif of that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

So, not that I'm complaining or anything and not going to give back the Trophy or anything...

But is there any reason given as to why Butler was benched last night?

Belichick: "I made the decisions that give us the best chance to win."

Butler is now an unrestricted free agent.  I'm imagining he will not return. 

Just going to say that if we were healthy it would have been a blowout of the Pats.  Eagles IR:

Jordan Hicks, Jason Peters, Darren Sproles, Carson Wentz, and Caleb Sturgis.  

Feels great to be an Eagles fan today.

Now get ready for the biggest parade the sports world has ever seen.

• Like 1

True story: My mom worked on ads for the first Super Bowl back when it was still the AFL/NFL World Championship or whatever. National 60-second spots were going for $25,000... and the networks couldn't sell all of them. Her agency got a 2-for-1 special to place their ad (Brylcreem)... yes, two 1-minute ads for $25,000. Can you even think of Super Bowl spots going for that today? :lol:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dogwelder said:

So how is that different than the call in the Steelers game?

The call went against the Patriots.

Steel Nation is grateful for the Eagles win so they don't have that far to travel to get a look at the 52 Lombardy Trophy.

• Like 1

Also, the guy in the Steelers game blatantly didn't have control of the ball and that wasn't even a catch under the old rules never mind the new ones. Where as this guy blatantly broke the plane of the goal line with the ball completely under control. If people are honestly this easily manipulated by Cris Collinsworth's gambling wishes, Jesus Christ.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Belichick: "I made the decisions that give us the best chance to win."

Butler is now an unrestricted free agent.  I'm imagining he will not return. 

There was something said about Butler being in the hospital and arriving in Minnesota a day late - and the Patriots labeling the hospitalization as "non-medical".  ?  I feel like Butler was being punished, but Belechick denied that afterwards.  I don't really believe you discipline a guy in the Super Bowl unless it's a serious issue and you have the support of the locker room (Hi, Stanley Wilson).  You owe it to the rest of the team to put your best guys out there.  Punish a guy for missing a team meeting some other way.

I'm kinda wondering if "non-medical" hospitalization means some sort of anxiety attack or stress reaction?  That's basically pure speculation on my part, so take it with a lot of salt, but I can't come up with anything else that explains it and the Patriots unwillingness to talk about it.  Butler certainly seemed to be deep in "somebody killed my dog" mode after the game.

This tweet was posted a few min ago.  So....

Yeah, that Steelers play was not a catch. At all. The Eagles guy took at least two steps with the ball in his possession before reaching out for the end zone. Collinsworth's insistence that was not a catch was insufferable.

• Like 5

Terrific game. Besides the excitement of the Pats comeback last year, which was really just the 4th Q and OT, I haven't enjoyed watching a SB so much in years. It was nice to not not be able to say "So and So didn't win; the other team lost". (I am thinking about you, Broncos/Panthers) 

Thanks to my Dallas upbringing, I find it very difficult to root for the Eagles. But last night, they were the better team.

• Like 1

Football is so much a Work that Chris Collinsworth went full-on Biased Heel Color Commentary with that TD, insisting that the obvious Body Slam was just a hiptoss.

Meanwhile I was screaming at the guy to go down at the 1 because scoring the TD before the 2:00 warning and/or with 1 NE time out left felt like too much time and Philly clearly ran that drive like they meant it to be the last one of the game.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Yeah, that Steelers play was not a catch. At all. The Eagles guy took at least two steps with the ball in his possession before reaching out for the end zone. Collinsworth's insistence that was not a catch was insufferable.

tumblr_inline_n7kd1tFLnI1r5344l.png

"HIPTOSS!  HIPTOSS!  THAT WAS NOT A BODY SLAM!" [/Heenan]

• Like 5

Cris Collinsworth was beyond horrible. At one point he says, "this is getting called back so what do the Eagles do now." It made me think, wait, they made the call? WTF? How was that not a catch and a TD? He catches the ball, has control of it, takes a couple steps before diving across the end zone. The ball crossed the plane with him in control of it. Again, how is that not a TD.

And all Collinsworth could talk about was how it for sure wasn't a catch and if it wasn't a catch in Pittsburgh then it's not a catch here. How fucking dumb. Millions of people at home are doing your job better than you.

Tony Romo for everything!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Tony Romo for everything!

Romo is an awesome color commentator. He’s really good with Nantz. I think he would’ve done great with Michaels. He isn’t your conventional color guy either, it’s like watching a game with a friend. 

• Like 1

Romo does his homework.  There are coaches that say he asks detailed questions of the coordinators during the week to understand why they are calling plays.  That is why when he calls a play from the booth before the snap, Romo read the defense like he was playing and knew from his prep work what play was being called.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/01/sports/football/tony-romo-nfl.html

• Like 4