DVDVR Message Board

2018 Box Office

Brian Fowler

24 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Isn't that practice designed to avoid situations where movies fall short of projections? 

Generally speaking, yes. But Disney has a habit of being way lower than normal for MCU opening Sundays. Usually the estimated on Sunday and the actuals on Monday are within a million bucks, maybe two. For whatever reason the MCU movies tend to be off by 8 or 9 million and it's almost all in the Sunday numbers (which makes sense because they are still a pure projection)

Shrug

Infinity War is falling off the pace of Force Awakens pretty rapidly.

There's a reason the all-time domestic champion has always been a holiday season release since at least my days in highschool.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:06 PM, odessasteps said:

Does Avengers' running time cost it any screenings per day? I would assume so. 

Infinity War opened on 4,474 screens

Wed, May 9 (the most recent # Box Office Mojo has) says it aired on... 4,474 screens

And in terms of number of times a day they show it: most of the theaters around here seem to be showing it on at least 4 screens so I think they are compensating for the length that way.

Heck - Tyson's last screening starts at 12:20 AM

Infinity War opened in China to over $200 million, jumped from 11th place all-time worldwide to 5th. It now has passed the entire MCU.

Black Panther consequently fell back to tenth, but it's less than 100k behind Deathly Hallows pt 2. Marvel now has four of the top ten.

IW is roughly $65 million back of Jurassic World worldwide so that'll be an easy to get. Needs a little over $400 million to catch TFA for third, about $520 to catch Titantic, and... Oh about $1.1 billion for Avatar.

It's the first superhero movies to do $1 billion overseas.

---------

Domestic it clearly has no shot at number one, but becoming the third ever $700 million movie looks very plausible. If it holds well against Deadpool/has legs for a few more weeks it could still get past Avatar's 760.

Speaking of legs, Black Panther did nearly 2 million this weekend, finishing ninth, giving it 13 straight top ten finishes. Despite hitting digital home video last week and hitting DVD/Blu Ray/etc this upcoming Tuesday. It's a little shy of 4 million away from $700 domestic. 

How the fuck Disney/Marvel are having two generational hits at the same time is beyond me, but there you go.

• Like 1

Two different audiences, I'd say.  Obviously there's a lot of crossover but Black Panther was a bigger version of what Wonder Woman ended up being for DC.  People who don't follow the MCU were showing up to Black Panther for repeat viewings.  The timing and the current political landscape,  it couldn't have come at a better time honestly. 

Infinity War is the culmination of a ten year story.  Nothing has ever been quite like it.  So there's Feige's master plan coming to fruition but also maybe a little bit of "luck" when it comes to Black Panther. 

• 2 weeks later...

Infinity War became the 8th 600 million dollar movie Tuesday. Black Panther should cross 698 when Wednesday numbers come out and it's looking like both are a lock to join Avatar and TFA in the ultra exclusive $700 million club.

With Deadpool 2 winning the weekend, Marvel Comics based movies have won 9 of the first 20 weekends this year.

Infinity War passed The Last Jedi and The Avengers for sixth all-time domestic. Should pretty easily pass Jurassic World and Titantic for fourth. Beyond that, depends on if it holds off it'll get to Black Panther. Avatar and The Force Awakens are safe.

Solo did $103 million for the four day weekend, when everyone was at least expecting it to challenge Pirates At World's End for best memorial day weekend at $139 and change. It's actually only the seventh biggest Memorial Day Open.

But the real story is that it opened day and date nearly everywhere in the world, and it's foreign take was a shockingly low $65 million. It's going to be the first Star Wars film since the Disney purchase to do under a billion worldwide, and it's going to be way way under.

Star Wars feels like it's never been as strong globally as you'd think, relatively. If you look at the top 20 worldwide movies of all time, the three with the highest % of domestic money relative to foreign are Black Panther, Last Jedi, and Force Awakens. Rogue One is the second highest in the top 30, and only 4 movies (Two of them being Last Jedi and Rogue One) are above Phantom Menace in the top 30. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 10:21 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Solo might not cross $400M  worldwide.   A disaster.  

Luckily for Disney, Marvel has already brought in $3.3 billion in box office this year.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Luckily for Disney, Marvel has already brought in $3.3 billion in box office this year.

I don't think the issue is Solo losing a bunch of money.   The issue is recapturing the trust in the Star Wars brand.  Toys and merchandise are declining.  The Last Jedi made a ton but far less than TFA and it soured a lot of people.  Now this Solo disaster.  They should be able to course correct but I'm interested in how and where the franchise goes from here. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think the issue is Solo losing a bunch of money.   The issue is recapturing the trust in the Star Wars brand.  Toys and merchandise are declining.  The Last Jedi made a ton but far less than TFA and it soured a lot of people.  Now this Solo disaster.  They should be able to course correct but I'm interested in how and where the franchise goes from here. 

The Last Jedi made almost the exact same relative amount against TFA as Empire made against Star Wars and Clones made against Phantom. 

This probably halts, at least temporarily, any plans of doing two a year, and probably makes them rethink the prequel direction, but unless Episode IX underperforms, I don't think they have anything to worry about.

(FWIW, Jedi made more than Empire but less than Hope, and Sith made more than Clones but less than Menance.)

Oh no, The Last Jedi made less than the first Star Wars movie in 10 years, and the first with the original trilogy cast in 32 years *clutches pearls*

I certainly hope they stop with the nostalgia movies.  I *liked* SOLO, but Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies do nothing for me.  Move forward, not backward! Upward, not forward!!

The family is finally going to see Solo tomorrow.

At this moment (less than 24 hours away) we are the only people to have bought tickets for this showing at our local Alamo

Thursday is also the last day the Alamo is even showing it. Looks like all its screens are getting taken over by Jurassic World.