DVDVR Message Board

2018 Box Office

Brian Fowler

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what's happening with Black Panther but it went from making less than $1000 a day for the last week (including the weekend) to making $12K on Thursday and $16K on Friday. Remember, it's been sitting at $699,000,000+ for more than 2 full months. 

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

I have no idea what's happening with Black Panther but it went from making less than $1000 a day for the last week (including the weekend) to making $12K on Thursday and $16K on Friday. Remember, it's been sitting at $699,000,000+ for more than 2 full months. 

I am looking at the weeklies and two weeks ago it suddenly had 126 screens added for a week so I am wondering if there was some sort of coordinated push to try to get it past $700 million (which is did this weekend)

So yeah Black Panther is now officially the third movie to make $700 million domestically.

The blurb from Box Office Mojo

Finally, Disney and Marvel's Black Panther joins Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936.6m) and Avatar ($760.5m) as the third film to ever top $700 million at the domestic box office. The film did so as it entered its 25th weekend in release. Black Panther is the first 2018 release to remain in theaters that long as theatrical windows continue to shrink. In both 2017 and 2016 five films remained in theaters for 25 weeks or longer whereas in 2014 and 2013, 11 and 13 films reached that milestone or longer respectively.

Black Panther officially ends it's domestic box office run with $700,059,566, 3rd all-time, 1st amongst comic book movies, 30th all-time inflation adjusted, 2nd all-time comic book movie adjusted (trailing only Marvel's The Avengers)

It is also 9th all-time worldwide, 3rd for comic adaptations.

• 4 weeks later...

With the obvious caveat that inflation has a lot to do with this:

With Incredibles 2 crossing $600 million at the box office last weekend, there have now been nine movies to ever do that domestically. One third of them were released by Disney/Buena Vista between February 16 and June 15 of this year. Four of them, all by BV, since December 15.

Disney has made 2.7 billion already just domestic this year, about 300 million more than all of last year and closing in on the record 3 billion in 2016.

And Fox, so they will likely soon own, is at about 745 million.  They've combined for about 42% of the total box office.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Nun being #1 last week and The Predator being #1 this week is highly amusing. I'm sure there is much cursing and kicking of chairs in some of your domiciles over this (see Blockbuster Pool thread)

Considering neither is in the pool - I don't see why

• 1 month later...

Halloween (2018) is now the non-adjusted all-time highest grossing slasher film of all-time, passing Scream 3 on Thursday and Scream 2 and Scream Friday. It joins the first two Scream movies as the only $100 million slashers. It needs about $80 million more to pass the OG Halloween adjusted, but it is already ahead of the rest of the franchise with inflation. A little over $100 million more would get it above Scream with adjustment. As far as I can tell that would make it the highest grossing domestic slasher with inflation ever, but I might have missed something.

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Freddy vs. Jason is still a top 5 slasher money maker and I was shocked there wasn't a sequel.  Also,  I liked the movie. 

It's the biggest hit in either franchise. Adjusting for inflation it's still only behind the original F13.

I liked it a lot too. Good stupid fun. They tossed around a bunch of sequel ideas but nothing ever came together.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's the biggest hit in either franchise. Adjusting for inflation it's still only behind the original F13.

I liked it a lot too. Good stupid fun. They tossed around a bunch of sequel ideas but nothing ever came together.

I know most people hate Jason Goes to Hell and I understand why (though I did love the part with the S.W.A.T. team) but I remember marking out for the glove. What a moment. 

If you skip everything between those two, it's a really good short film.

Instead it's my least favorite movie in any of the four major slasher franchises (caveat: I haven't seen every Texas Chainsaw movie)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Creed II made $56 million its opening weekend making it the biggest live-action Thanksgiving movie ever

2020: Creed in Space!

Actually reading backward the last dozen or so posts in this thread, the obvious next move is really:

CREED VS. MICHAEL MEYERS Vs. Predator VS. Gremilins.

On the flip side - we probably should mention recent bombs

If Solo got the "flop" treatment than Fantastic Beasts 2 deserves it also.

It finished 4th this week (its 2nd) and has "only" made $117 million domestically (it's budget is a reported $200 million). It had made $439 million worldwide thus why I was more saying it should get the Solo treatment.

Robin Hood opened in 7th with only $14 million

Nutcracker and the Four Realms domestically has only made $49 million. It's worldwide total barely gets it over budget ($120 million)

On 11/25/2018 at 5:45 PM, RIPPA said:

Robin Hood opened in 7th with only $14 million

Bet you all of that $14 million that the studios STILL won't stop going back to that well. The next one will probably be set in the future. 

...so I went onto Wiki while writing that: 

In development[edit]

• Lana and Lilly Wachowski have confirmed that they have written and will direct the film Hood, a modern adaptation of the Robin Hood legend.[18]
  • Sony Pictures has expressed the idea of building a shared universe based on various characters from the Robin Hood mythos which will establish Robin alongside Merry Men like Will Scarlett and Little John, the plan being to potentially then give them solo spinoff films further down the road.
  • Disney will be developing a Robin Hood movie currently titled Nottingham & Hood, with first time screenwriter Brandon Barker writing, and a tone similar to the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. The hope is to launch a new adventure franchise that fits Disney’s global brand.[19]

*sigh*