DVDVR Message Board

Fight Kits, USADA, TV Rights Fees, & Fighter Union Table Scrap Chaos (Bones is Back in Town)

Elsalvajeloco

On 3/23/2018 at 4:44 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Still hard to take Barnett's side here when he has three previous failed drug tests on his record. 

My understanding is that a lot of supplement companies are not using FDA approved substances in their products, hence what can cause false positives and contaminated drug samples. If that's the case, why would fighters ever use supplements?  

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Still hard to take Barnett's side here when he has three previous failed drug tests on his record. 

My understanding is that a lot of supplement companies are not using FDA approved substances in their products, hence what can cause false positives and contaminated drug samples. If that's the case, why would fighters ever use supplements?  

My guess is to try to seek every legal competitive edge possible especially if you know your opponent likely has a supplement routine.

13 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Most supplements are placebos, so not sure what competitive edge they truly offer.

Research has shown that placebos have powerful effects on strength, endurance, and pain tolerance. 

Yeah, I can't see why that would be helpful in combat sports.

18 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Most supplements are placebos, so not sure what competitive edge they truly offer.

the mind is a powerful tool. contrary to all scientifically-provable results, placebos DO work in many cases.

40 minutes ago, twiztor said:

the mind is a powerful tool. contrary to all scientifically-provable results, placebos DO work in many cases.

I think you're trying to convince the wrong person. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No mention of TUF, which means the women's featherweight and heavyweight season could likely be the last one. If they're putting more notable people on the Contender series like this upcoming season than TUF and not bound by one or two weight classes, then TUF is even more obsolete.

Interesting enough, the first fight card for ESPN+ is this weekend with Top Rank Boxing putting on Jerwin Ancajas vs. Jonas Sultan. Obviously not a big matchup but Top Rank is also putting on Crawford vs. Horn on that platform. That will be the first true test. I'm going use the free trial this weekend to see how well it works.

• 1 month later...

did a quick cursory search (here and google) and didn't see a clear and easy answer. 

Has Jon Jones had his final punishment figured out and/or released yet?  the whole thing happened damn near a year ago.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Any latest updates regarding fuck up Jon Jones punishment?

That fact that it's been a year since his provisionally suspended by USADA could be good news for his actual USADA hearing (if he has one) because there would be no justification for it to be this long between the test failure, B samples being tested, and any possible sanctions.

My thinking the sanction would be a two year suspension retroactive to when they first suspended him meaning he would be eligible to fight next summer (Guessing 7/28/19 since that is two years after the test in question). Now if this goes to arbitration, then all bets are off because that first arbitration a couple years ago didn't go so smooth. But the longer this goes on, the more it makes me believe that there is bunch of stuff going on behind the scenes. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That fact that it's been a year since his provisionally suspended by USADA could be good news for his actual USADA hearing (if he has one) because there would be no justification for it to be this long between the test failure, B samples being tested, and any possible sanctions.My thinking the sanction would be a two year suspension retroactive to when they first suspended him meaning he would be eligible to fight next summer (Guessing 7/28/19 since that is two years after the test in question).

I think this is about right. While I have as much love for him as The Natural does, there is a huge difference between what this has cost him and how it has affected someone like Tom Lawlor  or even a Machida or Silva. His legacy is irreparably harmed and he is out millions and millions and millions of dollars. Even if the UFC is willing to forgive him everything (you know, like Connor) , it isn't like he ever achieved the level of a sports icon like a Jordan or Montana or even a Lee Trevino and time isn't going to give him the same type of historical context that Muhammad Ali earned*. Bring him back, already. He's either grown from this or he'll fuck it up forever.

*Meaning the lost years. I assume whatever Ali was on was all about how his brain was wired.*

• Like 1