DVDVR Message Board

Fight Kits, USADA, TV Rights Fees, & Fighter Union Table Scrap Chaos (Bones is Back in Town)

Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I think this is about right. While I have as much love for him as The Natural does, there is a huge difference between what this has cost him and how it has affected someone like Tom Lawlor  or even a Machida or Silva. His legacy is irreparably harmed and he is out millions and millions and millions of dollars. Even if the UFC is willing to forgive him everything (you know, like Connor) , it isn't like he ever achieved the level of a sports icon like a Jordon or Montana or even a Lee Trevino *and time isn't going to give him the same type of historical context that Muhammad Ali earned*. Bring him back, already. He's either grown from this or he'll fuck it up forever.

*Meaning the lost years. I assume whatever Ali was on was all about how his brain was wired.*

Look at someone like Alexander Povetkin. Povetkin has failed two tests but because folks want to hate Deontay Wilder (less so now that Joshua-Wilder is the preferred fight of choice and Wilder is seen as more legit nowadays) is somehow turned into Wilder is figuring out ways to duck Povetkin. It ain't Povetkin is a drug cheat. Hell, Povetkin is getting Anthony Joshua before Wilder gets to fight Joshua and none of the leadup is Povetkin killing off two cracks at Wilder's WBC title by pissing hot twice. He doesn't get the label of fuck up. Keep in mind, this is years after carrying a phony WBA title when Wladimir Klitschko was the legit heavyweight champion of the world.

Jon cannot ever win over court of public opinion. That train left the station a long time ago. But do I have a problem with Jon getting a two year suspension over a four year suspension even if Tom Lawlor and Amanda Ribas got two year suspensions as first timers? Not one bit when USADA already has a contentious relationship with the fighters already. Stars are going to get preferential treatment. You wanna stop that? Figure out a way to become one. That's how it has always been.

• Like 2

It is sad to me that I was once such a huge boxing fan that I would mark on a calendar when an Azumah Nelson or Simon Brown or Evander Holyfield or Buddy McGirt or Prince Charles Williams or Julio Cesar Chavez fight would be coming up but  I've never heard of any of the boxers you mentioned. Besides the Russian dude.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mara Borella (the only Italian Woman to win a UFC fight) got suspended by Italy's Anti-Doping agency. For 26 years, until 2044. But their only jurisdiction is inside Italian borders, so she might not be banned from fighting elsewhere in the world.

Apparently the issue was that she was selling PEDs/ recreationals from a gym she owned, or something.

In this unique case, Borella and her boyfriend at the time, Rugby player Filippo Maserati, were charged with drug trafficking after a two-year investigation called Operation Flanker that also rounded up 31 others. They were charged with selling cannabis and cocaine at sporting events, bars, nightclubs, and Mara was charged with distributing these drugs at her gym. In 2012, it was reported, though with minimal detail, that most of the defendants had agreed to plea deals that involved 1-4 years in jail. Mara, as a professional athlete, was also hit with a suspension by the WADA-following Italian Olympic Committee for 15 years, until 2029.

As she continued competing, and also apparently used Italian sporting facilities, the Italian Anti Doping Agency has now suspended Borella for a further 15 years, commencing at the expiry of her original suspension and so running from June 2029 and running until the year 2044.

Between Borella who pushed cocaine and both Gadelha and Cachoeira (in Priscila's case, crack cocaine) beating coke addictions, I am starting to feel cocaine is making a comeback in terms combat sports relevance thanks to the ladies.

25 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

WILL THIS SET A PRECEDENT THO?! 

Poor Filthy Tom.

If you look everyone besides Tim Means, the cases of the Russian meldonium failures excluding Abdul-Kerim Edilov, and maybe one other person whose name doesn't come to mind, ALL the lower tier fighters got the hammer. If you don't have the representation and the value, you are SOL. You might as well get comfy and find a new vocation for awhile.

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

If I'm Cormier I tell this fucking failure of a person to eat a bag of dicks.

DC likes money too much and has had a limited amount of opportunities to get it. He ain't turning it down.

Best case scenario for DC: He gets a 2 for 1 and fights Brock AND Jon.

Worst case scenario for DC: He fights Gustafsson or Jan Blachowicz and Brock turns his attention back to Jon Jones.

Either way, Jon Jones just got one over DC without doing anything but going to rehab. As long as he stays clean, he is going to make millions.

"Stays clean"  ?    It is funny because 

A.  He has never shown the ability to stay clean since being the champion whether it is PED's or recreational drugs

B.  Even if he doesn't stay clean, he will never get punished for it and he always has Dana in his back pocket.  I mean seriously what did he really lose in this suspension?   Any fight that he lost he is going to get a monster fight next probably in MSG to replace it

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Time is relative. Jon having one fight is equal (especially a fight that says over 3/4 a million buys) to most of these dudes having six or seven fights. That's the thing.

he always has Dana in his back pocket.  

Personally, I don't think Dana gives a shit. He can have his personal grudges and just freestyle because they don't require anything from him other than being promoter guy. Now Endeavor....they got all the money in the world and about to get some more money. Jon being free allows to make even more money. If anyone is in Jon's back pocket, it's them. 

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I mean seriously what did he really lose in this suspension? 

He has lost a shit load of money. He could have had three or four fights really. I don't think Rumble stays retired if Jon isn't suspended and gets an academic win against an also ran to get a Jones fight. Then we have Cormier III, Gustafsson II, and a fight with Stipe. That's a lot of money to leave on the table. Plus, Lesnar probably doesn't keep adding dates or whatever the fuck he is/was doing with WWE. With one fight, he can make some of that money back. BUT it's an older Jones who is likely going to be rusty and be at greater risk of losing. That puts a greater incentive on him to not only stay clean BUT to win. And if you look at the heavyweight and light heavyweight landscape now compared to 2016, it's top heavy to say the very least. 

I'm with you. The way everyone in the system bends over backwards for this fucking junkie and cheater is amazing. It makes me want to not watch anymore. 

And Jones will just fuck up again because that's who he is and what he does. It'll be something else and then he'll get another slap on the wrist.

Meanwhile, Dana and other UFC execs can't stop themselves from wishing for someone like Tyron's downfall. Maybe Tyron should do a bunch of coke and hit someone and flee the scene to raise his stock. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As a black man, I wouldn't recommend that. 

Worked out well for Jones and Rampage. Or maybe I fucked up whatever their formula was.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend it either, but I hate this company so much now. I think it just has to do with how they'll do everything short of sacrificing someone to a volcano to have DJ or Tyron lose or can't even bother to try to promote Stipe more, but everyone goes out of their way for this fucking junkie.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Worked out well for Jones and Rampage.

Exceptions, not the rule.

When you bring in the cash, you can buy preferential treatment whether it's unintentional or intentional. It was six years ago this man was on the wrong side of the UFC. He didn't magically wonder on the other side of that. The exact treatment you get is determined by the space you occupy with the promotion and the condition they are in. They need PPV buys and mainstream attention when they are devoid of PPV stars? Hey, CM Punk! We will allow you two years to get your body right so you can inevitably compete in MMA when you should not be fighting. Conor McGregor is selling PPVs out the wazoo? Yeah, Ronda you can do wrestling because we really don't need you anymore. They owe several millions in loans because of a sale? Brock, how do you feel about Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones? 

I said this before the sale...whoever buys this promotion (or Zuffa to be specific) didn't buy it to fuck up the way it was being run overall. Some things got fastened and some things got loosened, but understand, stuff like this happens with Lorenzo Fertitta or without Lorenzo Fertitta. Endeavor is just an amplified version of what we already getting, but with way more connections. Hence, why we see these new sponsorships with like Hennessy, AirAsia, Nemiroff, and BodyArmor (which Coca-Cola is interested in being a part of). If you don't like what you're getting now, you should have cut your losses a LONG time ago.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

Fuck all of this. Fuck Jon Jones. Fuck USADA. Fuck UFC. Fuck Dana White.

If I'm Cormier I tell this fucking failure of a person to eat a bag of dicks.

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

A.  He has never shown the ability to stay clean since being the champion whether it is PED's or recreational drugs

B.  Even if he doesn't stay clean, he will never get punished for it and he always has Dana in his back pocket.  I mean seriously what did he really lose in this suspension?   Any fight that he lost he is going to get a monster fight next probably in MSG to replace it

This, This, This and This. 

Just heard on BBC 5 Live that Jon Jones is cleared to fight again with a backdated 15 month ban. That’s not enough of a punishment for a repeat offender. Jon has tested positive for banned substances before, he’s failed for cocaine too. There are also DUI and hit and run convictions outside of MMA.

Fuck Jon Jones. Greatest Of Anabolic Takers