DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD PLACE THREAD

Brian Fowler

12 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I had to rewatch the episode because of my loud, wailing sobs during the highlights of Eleanor and Chidi distracting me from the final act. Possibly the worst ugly cry I've had at a TV comedy ever.

I'm trying to remember the last sitcom that made me cry at all, and I'm thinking Scrubs.

• Like 1

I'm at the age where it doesn't take much to make me cry. Shit, I got choked up during this weeks Supergirl. So, you can only imagine how fucking hard I cried at this. It was epic sobbing during the movie, then it was on. Eleanor and Janet's scene kept the waterworks coming, and so did Eleanor welcoming Chidi. I had to assure my nephew I was alright. :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Pete said:

Uh, hasn't that ship already sailed for everyone?

Well I personally hope Michael's soul isn't disintegrated, with each molecule placed on the surface of a different burning sun. Furthermore, I hope his essence isn't scooped out of his body with a flaming ladle and poured over hot diamonds. 

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

To expand on what Marcos mentioned.

This was what I woke up to this morning. My phone blew up. I have a lot of feelings. On one hand, when something is so wonderful and delightful you want it to last forever. On the other hand, I'm satisfied to know there's a definitive end to the story and they would rather end it the way they want it than dragging it on for years longer than needed (lookin' at you, American version of the Office).

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to have feelings. ?

I'll miss it greatly, but if it goes out with one more all-time great season, it's going to go down as the best show I've ever watched, without any tail end dragging it down

• Like 3

I still don't think I feel as much affection for the Good Place as I did for Parks and Rec, but it's close. The Good Place is probably the better series though, if you look at it from a story perspective.

With regards to overstaying your welcome, Parks and Rec lasted 7 seasons while the Office went on for 9. I can't recall one bad season of Parks and Rec. Maybe the first season was the weakest, but no one had really grown into their characters yet and they hadn't begun telling jokes that wouldn't receive a payoff until many seasons later. The Office on the other hand became such a trainwreck once Michael Scott left. I still think the proper series finale was either Jim and Pam getting married or Michael leaving to go be with Holly. Probably the latter more than the former. Even then, that 7th season started to feel pretty tired.

I'm always amazed with how good Parks and Rec was from start to finish, getting better and more sentimental with each season, and never collapsing under its own weight. Where you see some people not learn any lessons from what they work on, you can tell that Michael Schur took everything he learned from Parks and Rec about creating characters and stories that aren't necessarily complicated, but just totally solid, and then perfecting that with a completely different style of storytelling for The Good Place.

I am going to miss this series and I'll probably wind up re-watching it a lot. 4 seasons just doesn't seem like enough time to explore these characters, but that's just me being selfish. I just have to trust that Michael Schur is the best and he knows what he's doing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started rewatching season 1, and in the early episode (3 or 4) where Elenor lets someone go in front of her in line for yogurt and runs back to tell Chidi, she asks him to go back and get the yogurt because it was hot outside, and I’m like 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else watching this season? Something definitely seems up, and I’m not sure if I think the Bad Place has somehow replaced Janet, if the real experiment is still being done on the Soul Squad, or if Schur is playing with our expectations.

Janet encouraging Elenor to quit and telling Jason that Bortles got cut makes it seem like she’s trying to undermine things. That said, they haven’t shown Michael by himself yet this season, which raises my suspicions as well.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I've been watching. I've been kind of having to take the MST3K Mantra approach, because after how this show has gone so far if I try to think about where it's going next my brain spirals into so many directions.

Spoiler

Though my current theory is that this is actually still the test from the end of season 2, and everyone's still trying to determine if they can get into the Good Place.

I saw the premiere, but not episode 2. Episode 2 had a 1-877-Kars-4-Kids commercial, which is indeed the absolute worst commercial/ad of all time. I laughed my ass off at that joke.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this show. Michael’s fire squid monologue was great, especially how it was shot. So was them having Derek briefly show up just to remind us about evolving after being rebooted in a way that seemed completely natural, in part because they were distracting us with all the sex toys.

I also see now why Schur decided to end it. He’s talked about the show being influenced by Damon Lindelhof, so I can see him wanting to avoid dragging things out and having to do twists just for sake of doing them.

• Like 2