DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD PLACE THREAD

Brian Fowler

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn’t surprised they had Simone figure things out, but I kind of expected original Team Cockroach to discover that all four of the test subjects had been suspicious of them for a while now.

I also think that it’s the original four who are really the ones being tested, as each seems to have demonstrably improved over their fatal flaw. Elenor repeatedly chose not to give up when things got tough, Tahani made amends with the Gossip Toilet dude, Jason became less impulsive (he fooled Simone into thinking he was a monk for a whole year) and seems to have gotten the slightest bit smarter, and Chidi has become more decisive, such as immediately determining to help Brent.

I think it also makes more sense that it’s the original four than the new ones, because the whole hiccup causing everyone to go to the bad place was all the unintended consequences of everyone’s actions. If their actions in the Good Place don’t have unintended consequences (like Brent’s suit in a can - it wasn’t made in a sweatshop nor was the can made out of unethically sourced metal and transported across the world), then it should be much easier for them to improve. 

Thank you for listening to my Ted (Danson) Talk.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

RIGHT!!

I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor. I can't and won't spoil anything.

Man. Is @EVA watching this shit? Dude, if you aren't, I think you now have to if just to get to this particular episode.

Late to the party but when you not only give us Tim Olyphantastic but he's in full Justified mode you officially have crossed the threshold into ultimate greatness. I love this show so damn much

The "coup" that almost turned into the dance battle from West Side Story and Janet singing "It's simply the test' while Michael is playing the piano had me HOWLING. Can't wait to see where he go from here.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

There is no show that has kept me wondering just what will happen next quite like this one. As much as I don't want the series to end, I'm looking forward to having the full set so I can binge through the whole thing one weekend.

We just started rewatching it, and they set up SO MUCH in the first couple of episodes that gets paid off across the seasons.  Knowing the season 1 twist in early episodes really lets you pick out the minor stuff that Danson was doing for people who were going to come back to the episodes after the reveal.

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

The finale was so emotional, and even if I didn't want it to end, I'm really satisfied with how it all wrapped up. I don't have much else to say. I just feel like it was exactly what it needed to be.

I lost my father a little over a year ago. He had a terminal disease and made the decision to go while he was still comfortable and cognizant. This episode brought up a lot of emotions in me.

I love this show and loved the ending. I will eventually do a full binge rewatch, but I need to let it breathe a bit before going back to it. The wave needs to go back to the ocean. 

• Like 2

Little things, but this series gave me two of my favorite cameos ever with Timothy Olyphant in Justified garb a few episodes back and

Spoiler

My hero Nick Offerman as Nick Offerman.

Oh yeah, I got teary eyed seeing

Spoiler

Mary Steenburgen's very brief cameo. I thought that was a nice little touch.

I'm super excited to see what Michael Schur does next. Personally, I still think I like Parks and Rec more because there was so much more there to love, but I think the Good Place is the better overall series. And I still need to watch Brooklyn Nine Nine at some point.