DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD PLACE THREAD

Brian Fowler

• 2 weeks later...

Possible spoiler/confirmation of a theory from the podcast:

Spoiler

In this week’s episode, when they were talking about motivation and getting into the Good Place, they were discussing Doug Forcett’s motivation for being good not invalidating his good place points since he didn’t know for sure that he was correct about the afterlife and Marc Evan Jackson said (I’m paraphrasing) “Well I guess he knows now, and they’ve doomed him to hell too.” Since there’s nothing in the episode about them telling Doug he was correct, it makes me think that’s a slip up and the theory that they’re actually dooming everyone they’re trying to help is correct.

I’m also curious about Doug Forcett’s guess being 92% correct. I wonder if that means he guessed everything but 8% (meaning there’s stuff he’s unaware of), or if 8% of his guess is actually incorrect (meaning he’s actively wrong about part of his guess).

• 2 weeks later...

Um... I know I'm maybe a bit prone to hyperbole when it comes to this show, or at least my honest opinion on it comes across hyperbolic.... But, uh

That might've been the single best episode of television I've ever seen.

• Like 2

My favorite thing about this show is how I constantly feel like they’re writing themself into a corner, and then they get themselves out in a very logical, almost should have been obvious type of way.

So, what do we think about the “Oh, he’s 68. He’s doomed.” bit?

Ok, so I go over to Good Place Reddit to see theories and stuff since there’s not much discussion here beyond how great the show is. One thing someone pointed out is that the revelation that no one has gone to the Good Place since 1497 means that Mindy St.Clair is the “best” person since then.

Another theory that I’m now fully subscribing to makes so much sense to me that I’m going to spoiler it. It is in regards to how the system is corrupted: 

Spoiler

If Michael is a demon who has turned good and wants to fix the system, it stands to reason that a Good Placer could turn bad (not the first time an angel would have done so) and corrupt the system.

There was so much information in this episode. 

So...aren't people going to wonder wtf happened to these four people who suddenly just disappeared? Michael said they're now all dead again, but presumably that timeline is still continuing. 

Other than that, what would have happened 500 years ago to make it so that no one else go into the Good Place?

BTW, D'Arcy Carden is everything that's amazing. Listening to her on the Armchair Expert podcast and hearing how her career has basically gone nowhere until now and then seeing that episode makes me feel super happy for her. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Other than that, what would have happened 500 years ago to make it so that no one else go into the Good Place?

The Lutheran reformation?

I love that Doug isn't getting into the Good Place because he's been only serving other people at a detriment to himself.

Oh my goodness...regarding the point system, and this is coming from Michael Schur:

Spoiler

It's because of Columbus finding the new world. He fucked everything up! Fuck Columbus Day!

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I now want D'Arcy Carden to get a show of her own where she plays literally the entire cast.

Also, I think it's great that everyone was relatively fine with being temporarily got turned into Janets. Can we all just... be Janets for a day?

Not to make it sound weird, but I'd jump at the chance to be a Janet for a day. Think about it...You know EVERYTHING and can make ANYTHING appear. That's awesome. I could get so much done in an hour.

16 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I’m more curious how long ago the last person before that got in. This Bad Place hacking the system idea still isn’t passing my smell test. 

I guess it really isn't much of a spoiler even though it's in my spoiler, but Michael Schur said in an interview it has to do with Columbus discovering the new world and that connecting of worlds made it impossible for anyone to achieve a positive points total based on what the criteria for that is.

People not being able to get into heaven because the standards are too high is a common story theme in religious fiction.  God's Only Daughter was the first time I came across it.  Only Mary was in Heaven, even Jesus was in Hell (although trying to save everyone else)

• Like 1