DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD PLACE THREAD

Brian Fowler

I just burned through Season 2. 

I really think that 100 years from now that this is going to called the best piece of art from this part of the 21st century. 

What a brilliant show. It is really wild that they can have a show that talks about moral relativism so freely while also getting repeated comic gold from ripping on Blake Bortles. 

Nearly a year later, I'm still randomly remember and start giggling about "I was going to go through proper channels, but then I remembered I'm a naughty bitch"

It's one of the two funniest tv moments I've seen in the last year plus, along with "getaway donkeys" in Preacher last year.

• Like 2

It absolutely killed me at the time. Just note perfect delivery on an already inherently funny line.

TGP isn't a gag a minute type of sitcom, but they land some huge jokes at key moments.

Stupid two more weeks.

Dax Sheppard announced on his podcast today that next week will be "The Good Place Week" and he will have 4 podcasts in a row each day from Monday leading up to the 3rd season premiere of the show. He didn't say who exactly was going to be on all the episodes, but said it will be actors and show runners throughout the week. His podcast is called Armchair Expert, for those unfamiliar. Look it up.

In form and function, it mirrored a lot of last season’s premiere. Hopefully it’s teeing up an equally great year.

Spoiler

I’ll be curious to see how much time Adam Scott has to offer here. Aside from Big Little Lies, I’m not sure what else he has on his plate at the moment. 

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

In form and function, it mirrored a lot of last season’s premiere. Hopefully it’s teeing up an equally great year.

Hide contents

I’ll be curious to see how much time Adam Scott has to offer here. Aside from Big Little Lies, I’m not sure what else he has on his plate at the moment. 

Regarding your spoiler, he doesn't have much else going on at the moment.

The premier is great even If a lot of it sorta bugs me. But I am also having faith in the producers that a lot of my problems with the judges and the Good Place will be explained. 

What I enjoyed here is seeing how everyone fell off of their good path and into their old ways. I think the demons have been interfering

Spoiler

before Derek showed up. Okay not Derek, Trevor. Brian pointed out I was calling Adam Scott by his Step Brothers name.

Spoiler

I think the film crew at the monastery were demons. Him making sure to mention her sister.  I don't know if they caused Psycho Pete's gym accident. But I think it was a demon telling Chidi about the blue berries. 

They really should make all episodes an hour. They have a lot of ground to cover. 

On 9/28/2018 at 6:40 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Update: Megan was not responsible for We Crumb From A Land Down Under. 

My wife and I are both weirdos and puns really tickle us, her more than me, and it's one of the things we love about the Good Place. We Crumb from a Land Down Under may be one of our favorites.

Loved the season premiere too. My one issue with it is so small and dumb and it's no fault of the writing, but it has to do with the credits at the end that start appearing at the bottom of the screen. I'm looking at the credits and there's...

Spoiler

Adam Scott's name

...and I start thinking, "wait, I didn't see them at all, oh, wait, I think they just spoiled a surprise seconds before it happened." Sure enough, there they are. I fucking LOVED that reveal though. I wish it wasn't spoiled by the credits, but it's whatever. Months ago when he was on Dax Shepard's Armchair Expert podcast they talked about how

Spoiler

Adam Scott playing Derek in Step Brothers was his first big role and it's so far and away from who he is in real life where he's not that confident, his self-esteem is kinda low, and he's not a dick, but he had a ton of fun playing that role. I like Adam Scott a ton and him playing a jerk will be good to see again.

I don't know how much of this should be spoilered, but I just want to play it safe just in case.

On 10/1/2018 at 5:55 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

On the podcast, it was mentioned that the writers have been careful to avoid calling anyone a "God" or "devil." I'd be stunned to see anyone referred to as "Jesus." Especially given the first episode laid out the concept that every religion got a little bit right. 

I was kinda joking about Jesus. Just a catch all term for a good cosmic being that doesn't think humans should be tortured for eternity for eating grapes at the grocery store.

I do find it a little off that nobody has asked about different religions, even if I know the real world reason why.