DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD PLACE THREAD

Brian Fowler

I mean, yeah, I find this show kinda delightful and I like it as much as the next guy (unless the next guy is Brian Fowler in which case I don't like it as much as the next guy) but best sitcom ever would definitely be a stretch for me. It's not laugh out loud continuously hilarious but I love the characters and the cast has super great chemistry and stuff and my wife has kinda now figured out I'm more in love with Jameela Jamil than I am with her. 

Ok, I'm kidding about that but I'm not kidding about the fact that a deodorant which smells like Transformers makes a person feel sounds like the worst thing ever inflicted on humanity.

24 minutes ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I mean, yeah, I find this show kinda delightful and I like it as much as the next guy (unless the next guy is Brain Fowler in which case I don't like it as much as the next guy) but best sitcom ever would definitely be a stretch for me. It's not laugh out loud continuously hilarious but I love the characters and the cast has super great chemistry and stuff and my wife has kinda now figured out I'm more in love with Jameela Jamil than I am with her. 

Ok, I'm kidding about that but I'm not kidding about the fact that a deodorant which smells like Transformers makes a person feel sounds like the worst thing ever inflicted on humanity.

How do you smell loud and confusing?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

How do smell loud and confusing?

Imagine Transformers though. Imagine that super racist one. Imagine Michael Bay perving over Megan Fox. Imagine Shia Labeouf. Imagine how shit they all are and then imagine that in fragrance form.

The show's description of loud and confusing doesn't even come close.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The show is lovely and wonderful but the “best ever” shit is Fowler and his Kirsten Bell love that we’ve seen since that teenage detective show. Shit, if Good Place ever has a special episode directed by Whedon his balls will explode. :)

Danson is far and away best in show. And the writing is what drives it. 

Seriously that Naughty Bitch line is the funniest thing I've seen on TV all season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Don’t let them shame you out of loving Kristen Bell. Because there is no shame in that. 

Oh they won't. She's great. But Danson has been otherworldly (pun somewhat intended)

• Like 1

As laughs per minute go, I would not rate the show high. But they make their jokes count. Storylines and characters are great. 

I admire how quickly they are willing to burn thru storylines. I do think at this point God and Satan are going to have to appear. 

Spoiler

Sean getting the shit kicked out of him made me happy. He has been past due since Parks and Rec. 

I would not want my soul judged with Tahani and Jason. 

I still don't get how Chidi being indecisive makes him a bad person. 

On 1/27/2018 at 2:50 AM, Victator said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sean getting the shit kicked out of him made me happy. He has been past due since Parks and Rec. 

I would not want my soul judged with Tahani and Jason. 

I still don't get how Chidi being indecisive makes him a bad person. 

Chili's not just wishy washy. He is so obsessed with making the most moral choice that he ends up refusing to choose because he can't be guaranteed he's making the right one, even when that results in objective moral harm to the people he claims to love and want to help. The hat test is basically stripping the trolley problem of any moral dimension and commanding him to make an utterly meaningless decision. He spends 82 minutes looking for hidden meaning that isn't there; the test is for him to recognize that not every choice HAS a moral dimension or deserves his second guessing, and he failed.

Anyone who thinks being indecisive doesn't make you a bad person clearly hasn't dealt with a hungry significant other who can't decide what restaurant to go to but every suggestion you make is eternally wrong. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, CSC said:

Anyone who thinks being indecisive doesn't make you a bad person clearly hasn't dealt with a hungry significant other who can't decide what restaurant to go to but every suggestion you make is eternally wrong. 

The greatest evil is that I can only give one like to this post.

1 hour ago, CSC said:

Lol, if this is the bar, my wife is definitely a monster.

I've always suspected as much.

2 hours ago, CSC said:

My best friend on Earth is the most indecisive person who has ever lived. He is nearly worse than Chidi. But I think he is a decent person who does not deserve torture. 

On 9/29/2017 at 6:49 AM, Brian Fowler said:

The Good Place might literally be my favorite sitcom ever already.

On 1/19/2018 at 5:24 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I'm removing caveats now: The Good Place is the best sitcom I've ever seen, and it's well on its way to being the best TV show I've ever seen, period. I'm in awe.

The show, obviously, isn't over. But right now.... It's the best TV show I've ever seen.

My deepest apologies to Buffy.

Holy fuck this show.

Hot diggity dog

"I just wish we met the way normal people meet, like at a philosophy conference, or after one of my philosophy lectures, or you came knocking on my office door asking for help with philosophy."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2018 at 3:09 AM, Brian Fowler said:

"I just wish we met the way normal people meet, like at a philosophy conference, or after one of my philosophy lectures, or you came knocking on my office door asking for help with philosophy."

Holy crap. I didn't put that together on my own.

Wow. This show keeps finding new ways to amaze me - and reward repeat viewings.

• Like 2