DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD PLACE THREAD

Brian Fowler

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Good Place might literally be my favorite sitcom ever already.

Spoiler

Jason figuring it killed me. I'm now dead. Hopefully the Place I end up has a clam chowder fountain. I love clam chowder. 

It's wonderful. Also, regarding character development,

Spoiler

the environment Michael has created seems to push everyone in similar directions every time. Even if it's not exactly the same, there seems to be the potential for each character to maintain the same general momentum they had during the first season. 

And because someone mentioned Allison  Janney's height:

Spoiler

giphy.gif 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Victator said:
  Hide contents

Anybody else wondering how much time has passed?

What did we see the number hit, around 500 attempts? Even if you figure each one only lasted a week on average, that's around a decade.

"The Jared from Subway account" gag was of supreme quality.

• Haha 1

The Good Place talk in the September thread convinced me to give it a try. I'm 4 episodes into the first series and, yeah, it's kinda wonderful. Danson is Danson, he can do stuff like this in his sleep but my favourite might be Jameela Jamil and not just because there's a tiny chance I might be in love with her. Just don't tell my wife.

But, yeah, the whole interweb thread thing is great for discovering shit you might never have watched otherwise.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

The Good Place talk in the September thread convinced me to give it a try. I'm 4 episodes into the first series and, yeah, it's kinda wonderful. Danson is Danson, he can do stuff like this in his sleep but my favourite might be Jameela Jamil and not just because there's a tiny chance I might be in love with her. Just don't tell my wife.

But, yeah, the whole interweb thread thing is great for discovering shit you might never have watched otherwise.

I'm about 7 episodes in, and yeah its a wonderful show. . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Can I add on to the pile of love for The Good Place? Man, what a great show. Just blew through the first season on Netflix in two days, and caught the first episode of Season 2 on Hulu. Love it and hope the rest of Season 2 can keep up with how great Season 1 is.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Can I add on to the pile of love for The Good Place? Man, what a great show. Just blew through the first season on Netflix in two days, and caught the first episode of Season 2 on Hulu. Love it and hope the rest of Season 2 can keep up with how great Season 1 is.

One of us one of us

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The most annoying thing about The Good Place is that I now know who Blake Bortles is. I would have no idea otherwise and would be 0.04% happier in life. 

Mike Schur has said he has something planned in the event that the Jaguars win the Super Bowl during the show's run. 

Of the first season? Yeah. I haven’t watched the second, but considering I wasn’t all that into the first, I figured I would either feel the same about this season or not like it at all.

I mean, it’s funny enough, but it’s nothing special. That’s my opinion, obviously, this isn’t the only forum where people go nuts for that show.

I've watched all of the Good Place except last week's ep and, yeah, the "Best sitcom ever" stuff makes me wonder if I've fallen into a parallel dimension, had a stroke and am imagining things, or just have shitty tastes.  I don't think it's bad.  Actually, I think the show is fairly inventive with a solid cast, so I can see why people like it, but, for me, it's nowhere one of the best ever.  I find it mildly amusing, if not particularly hilarious.  I wouldn't even compare it favorably against the better comedies currently on.

I'm curious to see how it's judged in ten years or so.

On 1/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Mike Schur has said he has something planned in the event that the Jaguars win the Super Bowl during the show's run. 

But if fifteen years has passed by, then its already happened. Depending on the conversion of time between hell and earth. 

45 minutes ago, Victator said:

But if fifteen years has passed by, then its already happened. Depending on the conversion of time between hell and earth. 

My understanding is he's considered the conversion of time. 

Regarding where this show stands on an all-time list, I don't feel comfortable ranking it too highly. But it's fresh and I'm loving it right now.