DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - PHILADELPHIA

Dolfan in NYC

Honestly Mauro doesn't bother me because in NXT the wrestlers are so good at telling stories that the commentary isn't important or offensive.

But it amuses me how wrestling is one of the few "sports" where commentary is reviewed. I mean I get it, but it's weird that people get invested in it. 

4 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

But it amuses me how wrestling is one of the few "sports" where commentary is reviewed. I mean I get it, but it's weird that people get invested in it. 

Let me tell you the story of a man named Joe Buck...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

As a Cubs fan, I had no complaints about Len and Bob and I pretty much don't have any complaints about Len and JD. I feel like Cubs fans are lucky to have such good announcers because across town those announcers fucking suck.

Nationally though? Holy shit. TBS broadcasting the baseball postseason is a chore to sit through. Then there's Joe Buck. Monday Night Football has been bad for so long that people stopped caring because at least it's not as bad as it was a few years ago.

Yeah. Outside of some local announcers, a couple national baseball announcers, Tony Romo, and the national NHL announce crews, I think fans pretty much bitch about everyone else. It's a tough job. Mauro is far from the worst. The dude just gets too excited. I'm not going to fault him for that.

On 1/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, RolandTHTG said:

Be interested to see where they go with stipulations for Gargano/Ciampa.

I assume Last Man Standing with a Loser Leaves Town match as the blowoff. Ladder is probably a good call back to where the feud started but nothing to put above it, ironman showcases well, but seems not enough blood feud. Cage works for me too.

A Loser Goes to 205Live match?

6 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

Honestly Mauro doesn't bother me because in NXT the wrestlers are so good at telling stories that the commentary isn't important or offensive.

Spoken like someone who has never heard of awfulannouncing or FireJoeMorgan.

I was not a Gargano fan pre-NXT but he eventually won me over with the DIY tags being so great. After that was over, I was going back to not being a fan of his. Going in to this show I had zero interest in the main event considering we had already just seen the match two times and I didn't care for Gargano going from losing streak to instant title shot, after that Ohno match that I thought was overblown forced "epic" with way too much no selling and Gargano blowing off everything Ohno threw just to tap him out quick. I almost tuned out early, feeling no need for another Gargano main event and figuring Almas retaining was foregone cause no way they are going to have yet another NXT Champ lose on his first defense of a new challenger, but decided to leave it on and ended up sucked in to this one. Amazing and very impressive match with fantastic near falls. Almas has been on another level since the Drew match and Zelina adds so much to the presentation. the Zelina/LeRae spot was a great touch and aided the unpredictability of the match's outcome. Great match that truly earned feeling like something special. I did though find the post-match super lame as the most obvious coming thing ever. The "flash the copyright" thing was unique once, but this time could be seen coming as soon as they started up the ramp. But I also find Ciampa pretty corny in general, especially the way people flip out because "omg he tweeted @ gargano!" as something so sinister. Very much looking forward to Almas/Black being a potential big time main event with both guys on fire right now.

Ember/Shayna was pretty good with a surprise finish. Thought for sure going in the finish was going to be Ember gets the ropes and Shayna refuses to break for a DQ, even moreso with the armbar locked in. Enjoyed Black/Cole as well, though I might have liked their first match together more.

3 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

We reviewed Almas v. Gargano over at Segunda Caida. While it really isn't our type of match, we totally loved it

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2018/01/2018-ongoing-moty-list-gargano-v-almas.html

As someone who has been pretty actively anti-Almas, I have it second on my current MOTY list.

22 hours ago, EricR said:

We are just crazy behind on all things NXT and have not reviewed those matches. They have not been snubbed, just not viewed. But I mean, I *did* review the Crazy Crusher/Hell Storm ladder match from like 15 years ago, so...our plate has been full. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-critic-proof-perfection-stupidity.html

Instead of going on Dailymotion and trying to find Almas/Gargano I watched fucking Crazy Crusher vs. Hell Storm. Let's just say the 25 minutes were not wasted. I mean, where else are you gonna see a guy piledriven off a ladder onto the top turnbuckle and have both guys just drop onto the floor recklessly? 

Oh, and that wasn't a DVD onto those two ladders -- that was a freakin' Falcon Arrow. And I think that fall was even worse because they bounced higher.

• Like 1

Okay, watched Almas/Gargano and yeah, that was a really good NJPW main event. The crutch shot was kinda silly though -- this guy's maybe concussed but he's gonna sell his back worse? Hate to say it but Ciampa should have aimed for the head. Like Eric I didn't have any stake in either of these guys, having maybe watched a match apiece from either of them (well okay, probably a lot of Sombra back when CMLL was still on my satellite and he had a mask), but they brought it. So, so many reversals...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Not that it matters much, but Meltzer gave Almas/Gargano the full 5 stars. Which is WWE’s first since 2011.

Yep, first since John Cena vs. CM Punk at WWE Money in the Bank 2011.

More since if you were to ask me...

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yep, first since John Cena vs. CM Punk at WWE Money in the Bank 2011.

More since if you were to ask me...

I still can't believe DIY/Revival didn't.

But mostly I just understand the difference between what I like and what Dave likes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I still can't believe DIY/Revival didn't.

But mostly I just understand the difference between what I like and what Dave likes.

You also shamefully like Bobby Roode

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2