DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - PHILADELPHIA

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

Any word on how the dark matches were?

Should I know who EC3 is?

If you never watched TNA he was the former Derick Bateman that was in NXT developmental during the "internet year"

If you have watched TNA it is Ethan Carter 

• Like 1

It was already pretty well established that Gargano and Almas can't have a bad match together, but that was breathtaking, my god

Tomato Chomper felt like a bit of an afterthought to that, Mauro seemed too tired to make much of it

Dream vs hero was disappointing, dream looked lost at a couple of points and the attempted catching dvd and flatliner ddt nearfall didn't come off

You know, in the early game, my main note on the main event was just how good Gargano and Almas can chain wrestle, and we very rarely get to see extended runs of that now a days. But holy shit both were great at it, and it makes me happy cause that is my favorite shit. Also, credit to them for making every little transition not feel forced, once. I've watched so many people were you can tell clearly they are working to get to a specific position. That main event never felt like that. 

• Like 4

Now to light a torch to all the goodwill I just built up; i have less than no use for Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly, and only marginally more for Adam Cole. AOP should've ground them into a suitcase full of dog turds, and instead we got inty-tastic midgets throwing toe to toe with these giant magnificent dudes. And Cole just doesn't do it for me...

• Like 5

I know I have some pretty terrible opinions.  But I hope that everyone can agree that Mauro is the fucking worst.  On a 2 1/2 show, we get references to people trying tide pods and the Philly cops putting the Crisco on the poles and "holy beep".  And then the ultimate thing for me is you have this incredible match and you know it is near the end and this fucker is talking about the Super Bowl.  I understand he had to work on his own because Nigel was sick but at this rate he is just announcing to hear himself talk it is so bad. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

It was already pretty well established that Gargano and Almas can't have a bad match together, but that was breathtaking, my god

Tomato Chomper felt like a bit of an afterthought to that, Mauro seemed too tired to make much of it

Dream vs hero was disappointing, dream looked lost at a couple of points and the attempted catching dvd and flatliner ddt nearfall didn't come off

To Dream's credit, I thought he recovered well. He didn't shrink in the moment and finished strong, I thought. 

• Like 1

AoP vs. Fish/O'Reilly was pretty darn good and let the Authors lose while still being well protected. It was the first time Fish and O'Reilly really did something for me as well.

Dream/Ohno was solid though there were definitely some off moments.

Shayna/Ember was good. Shayna looked so damn great with that smile of hers. Hope we get a rematch at WM weekend where Shayna takes the belt. She can spend months torturing the division while Ember  is hurt.

I was kind of in and out of Dream/Cole. I'm not really a big fan of either. What I saw looked good enough,

Almas/Gargano was fantastic, easily MOTN and a MOTYC. Offhand its definitely one of the best matches in NXT history. Vegas's interference was perfect and I loved the payoff with Candice gettign involved. They really made you think Johnny had it a couple of times. I'm pleased Ciampa attacked Gargano post match though it wasn't the slaughter it needed to be.

This was a great show.

Also, and as a married man, I'm gonna be careful how I speak about another man's woman, but Candice has this "girl next door" quality that I think will serve her well in the WWE system. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Yeah that's fair to say, and his deluded sexy boxer act from the start of the match was definitely entertaining

I think we forget sometimes that at it's heart, nXt is supposed to be a developmental system, and to that end, I think VDream has done more developing (tee hee) than just about anyone that's come through there, in terms of character work.

7 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

You know, in the early game, my main note on the main event was just how good Gargano and Almas can chain wrestle, and we very rarely get to see extended runs of that now a days. But holy shit both were great at it, and it makes me happy cause that is my favorite shit. Also, credit to them for making every little transition not feel forced, once. I've watched so many people were you can tell clearly they are working to get to a specific position. That main event never felt like that. 

It wasn't the standard chain wrestling two guys use to start a match or just show that they know how to go to the mat either. It was serious grappling and they made it look easy. 

• Like 1

Whole show ruled.

Whether it's heel AOP or face AOP, I love me some big dudes tossing around little dudes.

Dream-Ohno was good stuff. There was some awkwardness at the end but at this point in my wrestling fandom, I don't care about botches as long as it's not every spot. It makes the match more realistic to me because just like in life, shit fucks up and doesn't go according to the game plan and you have work through it. 

I loved the women's title match. Baszler is a brutal heel and I loved Ember not quitting and the crowd getting behind her. I was worried she was going to lose and become the Lex Luger of the NXT women's division but she stepped up as the top female face tonight. 

Cole-Black was pretty much every WWE style garbage match in the past few years. Not bad but not memorable. I had high hopes for this when Black was refusing to use weapons then it became what it was. 

I don't know if I can put Almas-Gargano as the best match in NXT history but I was also there live for DIY-Revival 2/3 falls so I'm biased. I might be willing to call it the best singles match in NXT history but I'll have to rewatch Sasha-Bayley and Zayn-Neville before I'm willing to give it the title. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

I don't think I've seen a match done in WWE that had everyone hooked and fooled that well.

Gonna have to disagree with this a bit. WWE commentators have been doing this thing for years where they completely telegraph kickouts. Ranallo did it at least twice tonight - "everything is academic from here" and the ubiquitous "we have ourselves a new champion" were sure signs that the kickout was coming.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I hope we get a mixed tag match between Almas/Vega and Gargano/Larae (Vega is a trained worker right?).  

Yes, she is.

I enjoyed the show. The Main Event was awesome and I really liked Ember/Shayna. 

Taped stuff:

Spoiler

Nikki wins in a basic TV squash against Lacey and TM-61 return to do TM-61 stuff against the Ealys. It's hard to think of a team with a more unintentional charisma gap than Thorne and Miller, though the latter has a dope moonsault.

Strong/Bate ruled in spite of the necessary result, with Roderick showing flashes of a return to his vicious, mauling ways and Tyler Bate being the best 20 year old on the planet.

Agree that cheap heels O'Reilly and Fish being able to hang with AOP felt off, and the "we are being completely routed but one guy comes up gimpy and now we're back in it" shtick really seemed a bit too cutesy here. Otherwise good opener, though.

Dream/Ohno was some wonderful character work, with the crowd being all the way in on Dream. Him pulling off the knockdown to beat the impromptu audience countdown was outstanding. Definitely sloppy with some ugly blown spots, but did what it needed to.

Loved the women's bout - second favorite match of the night. Shayna came out still looking like a monster, but one that can be thwarted with some veteran savvy in a wrestling ring. Instantly thought of Lesnar getting caught by Mir in his UFC debut. She's dangerous even while still learning the ropes, and will only get better.

I'm not a fan of the street fight that feels like it's just plodding from one spot to another, but Black and Cole pulled out enough legitimately cool stuff to make it work. Can't overstate how much the air was sucked out of the room when Sanity rolled in when everyone seemed primed for War Machine to show up to even the odds, or AOP to get their standing tall moment.

The main... holy shit. This thing felt like a MOAT contender live. I'll have to rewatch, but absurdly hot throughout, and both Gargano and Almas felt like they got made here. Insane stuff from both men, impeccably paced and built, Zelina finally getting neutralized by Candice was great, and completely managed to avoid getting overshadowed by the specter of Ciampa. Awesome, awesome bout. My body is beyond ready for Almas/Black now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

So, I've seen some people say that Almas was formerly known as "La Sombra." Someone pimp me some good shit of his from that incarnation. Got a LONG week at work this week...

Start when he loses his mask. 

then just go through Cubsfan and Robviper’s YouTube channels. 

• Like 1

NXT Takeovers continue to be the best shit ever. And what a fucking day for wrestling. Suzuki vs Tanahashi early in the day and then you end the day with Gargano vs El Idolo.

I'm still stunned at what I just watched. How long was that match anyway? It felt like it wouldn't end and it was never not awesome. This was NXT at probably its best because you had Almas who looked to be on his way out and now looking at his strongest and Gargano who was an alright indy dude, a really good tag guy in NXT, and now the best babyface in NXT's history.

I pretty much liked everything. I liked Cole vs Black a lot too because I'm a big fan of both, but I just don't care for garbage wrestling. There's too much risk involved and not enough reward.

• Like 2