DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] JANUARY 17, 2018 TV SHOW

RIPPA

Just now, RIPPA said:

Advertised for tonight

Street Profits vs. AOP - Winner gets tag title shot at Takeover

Roderick Strong vs. Fabian Aichner

Also some sort of "up-close" look at TM61

I'm rooting hard for the Street Profits.  Those dudes remind me so much of stuff me and my cousin used to do goofing off at family reunions.  The way they walked through the backstage area complimenting just random people's suits and shit had me dying.  I've done that exact thing at least 20-25 times.  It's always the best when people are looking at you like they aren't sure if you are complimenting them or making fun of them.  With that said, Regal taking it as flattery was also great.  I want those dudes to become huge.

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

NXT turning Lacey Evans heel really comes of to me like one of those things that TNA would be openly mocked for.

It just seems so... weird too me

Why would you turn someone with her background heel?  She's like a female John Cena, except not a poser like he is.

• Like 3

Abusive military characters have a fine history in wrestling.  Okay, maybe its just Sgt. Slaughter.  Regardless, better that than be Cpl Kirchner or Jessie Neal.  Maybe she's found her voice as a shit.  

If they at least try to explain why Lacey turned since last seeing her in MYC then that works for me.  Given it's NXT I'm hopeful they'll do that.  But with a decent explanation maybe a vicious side would be good for her.

I liked most of the show and love what they're doing with Bazler.  I wish they had at least two more weeks of her wrecking fools and antagonizing Ember before they made the match.  But it's still a helluva way to introduce her.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

NXT turning Lacey Evans heel really comes of to me like one of those things that TNA would be openly mocked for.

It just seems so... weird too me

It's probably somewhere in the Mae Young folders, but I always thought she'd be a better heel than a babyface.  Her background says babyface, but everything else about her presence SCREAMS heel to me.  I think she has that Summer Rae, "How dare you peasants even speak to me," quality.  She's like the most popular girl at school, despite the fact that everyone kind of hates her.  

• Like 3

Technically they have been slow rolling it as she had been working a heel on the house shows but even then it did seem random as she just starting teaming with Mandy Rose and it was like "Umm... okay"

I am not saying she will or will not be good as a heel it just seems... abrupt. That's maybe the right word to use.

Of course - if they are about to call up Iconic Duo - they need to restock the heel side so it makes sense.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

It's probably somewhere in the Mae Young folders, but I always thought she'd be a better heel than a babyface.  Her background says babyface, but everything else about her presence SCREAMS heel to me.  I think she has that Summer Rae, "How dare you peasants even speak to me," quality.  She's like the most popular girl at school, despite the fact that everyone kind of hates her.  

She basically did this in Charlotte against Nikki Cross, complaining to the ref about how gross Cross was and acting like she didn’t deserve to be in the same ring.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Technically they have been slow rolling it as she had been working a heel on the house shows but even then it did seem random as she just starting teaming with Mandy Rose and it was like "Umm... okay"

I am not saying she will or will not be good as a heel it just seems... abrupt. That's maybe the right word to use.

Of course - if they are about to call up Iconic Duo - they need to restock the heel side so it makes sense.

They have really reloaded lately, so I see a bunch of character changes and heel/face turns.  The Mae Young classic showed they have multiple women who are ready to go who haven't been given much TV time.  They could legit do an hour of NXT women with a tag division and all.  They almost have too much talent for the time they have to fill.  After Takeover, I'm really interested in seeing how thy fit in Lio Rush, Ricochet, TM61, No Way Jose, Candice LeRae and War Machine.  I want to say they should do another hour, but I don't want to dilute the product either.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

This 1000%. She is a lot like Alexa who never remotely came across as a face even when she was one. I'm sure just like Alexa, Lacey is a lovely person in real life, but as a wrestler she comes across as a natural heel.

6 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Why would you turn someone with her background heel?  She's like a female John Cena, except not a poser like he is.

IIRC, people complained that TNA made Thea Trinadad a heel given her backstory. And yet, I don't know if the same complaints are made over with her heel character in NXT. 

I know they use me her before "as herself" for PR/charity appearances.

That TM61 segment was torture to me.

They have always come off as bland generic uninteresting dudes who do wrestling moves well to me, and in this segment they came off as bland generic uninteresting dudes here as well. 

I am all-in though on more wrestling matches built on the storyline of faces angry at heels for being jerks about parking in places they shouldn't be parking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I actually think one of them has a ton of physical charisma. And the other one has the least amount of charisma ever.

This is pretty obvious too. Miller is like a dollar store Roddy Strong. Pretty good in the ring but Haste has the higher ceiling, particularly in WWE.

On 1/18/2018 at 6:58 AM, mattdangerously said:

It's almost Russoiffic in its absurdity.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:26 AM, RIPPA said:

Not knowing about the house shows, I'd say "abrupt" is the perfect word to use. I was watching and thinking "Okay, here's this all-American girl, total babyface backstory, looks like a 1950s pin-up model and she's a heel? WTF?" The thing is she has a pretty good grasp of the heel mechanics, but still looks like a babyface. The NXT fanbase is pretty quick on the uptake, but she's going to confuse the shit out of the WWE universe when she gets called up. Maybe they'll explain it as Bray Wyatt hypnotized her or some shit like that.