DVDVR Message Board

WWE RAW 25, 22nd January 2018

The Natural

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

2. Would it have killed them to do a memorial video to those who p***ed during the 25 yrs?  I thought it would have been a nice touch.

I thought that's what the end of Taker's promo was about. "For all those who've fallen... you can Rest in Peace" or something close to that.

They really wasted the opportunity to tell an interesting story by just having Taker come back in a wig and cryptically saying he may or may not be done.  It should have been Cena demanding that he finally get his Taker match at Mania, only for Mark to come out in street clothes to say he's done. Cena won't let it go and eggs him on for a few weeks before Taker loses his patience and comes back. I know it's just nerdy fantasy booking, but at least I took thirty seconds to think about it, which seems to be more than they did.

I'm in the camp that Taker should have just walked away after WM 30, but if they're going to keep this shit up I'd like some of the storytelling from the streak series to come back. 

• Like 2

I watched the kickoff show and I'm surprised they didn't have a kick off match from the Manhattan Center. Cedric and Goldust should have teamed up. The Brian Kendrick and Jack Gallagher weren't doing anything.

5 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Jericho really is getting everything he wants. Wrestle Kingdom gave him maybe the strongest argument for being an individual draw that he's ever had, a whole lotta merch sales (on top of what must have been a really big payday), and a slightly transgressive feel to this and his next few WWE appearances. Like, of course he would show up. And of course he's going to have a WWE comeback. But it gets to feel paradoxically novel, for all that it's predictable.

It's also amusing to see the Bálor (née Bullet) Club formally given a branch on the the broader Kliq/DX/NWO family tree. Ironically, this making the wrestling world feel bigger and smaller at once--in that it's all WWE, one way or another--is what WWE does best, even on a show that's so concerned with looking inward and backward.

The Cliq seal of approval for BC was exactly what was needed on a show like this.  I just wish we had much more of the current talent working with legends, and I'm not talking Revival getting beat by DX.

Just to underscore what an ill-advised idea it would be for the company to run a tribute to dead wrestlers during this show, here's how long that list could be even if it was kept only to people that made appearances on RAW (with the aforementioned obvious omission), and not "people who died during the 25":

Spoiler

Randy Savage
Eddy Guerrero
Dusty Rhodes
Owen Hart
Roddy Piper
Yokozuna
Rick Rude
Curt Hennig
Warrior
Gorilla Monsoon
Bobby Heenan
Jimmy Snuka
George Steele
Mae Young
Fabulous Moolah
Big Bossman
Brian Pillman
Davey Boy Smith
Bam Bam Bigelow
John Tenta
Matt Borne
Road Warrior Hawk
Terry Gordy
Steve Williams
Paul Bearer
Sherri Martel
Luna Vachon
Buddy Landell
Mike Awesome
Kanyon
Chyna
Rosey
Brian Adams
Viscera
Umaga
Crash Holly
Test
Chris Candido
Sean O’Haire
Nicole Bass
Lou Albano
Freddie Blassie
Lord Alfred Hayes
both members of Public Enemy
Axl Rotten
Balls Mahoney
Bastion Booger
Giant Gonzales
Jimmy Del Ray
Lance Cade
Doug Furnas
Joey Marella 
Louie Spicolli
Ludvig Borga
Hector Garza
Marianna Komlos
Bertha Faye
Rex King
Steve Doll
Mike Bell
Joey Maggs

That's a lot of bodies. I wasn't exaggerating when I said it could run 15 minutes. The company doesn't want to draw attention to all those deaths that can mostly be attributed in one way or another to the wrestler's lifestyle. And that doesn't even get into whether or not they should be paying tribute to the more controversial people outside of Benoit, like Snuka, Moolah, or Borga.

• Sad 5

I've had a somewhat decent night's sleep to process this show and my original opinion after it was over still stands. This show was a prime example of everything that is wrong with the WWE. No clear direction. Just throw what ever sticks to the wall and go with it. Miz/Reigns was a good match and should have been the main event. But what angered me the most was how they just were doing nothing with the Manhattan Center. A solid first hour wouldn't of been so hard to do. Personally I think they should have done the whole show from there. 

But yeah, this show was everything that's wrong with the current format of the WWE.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, steve said:

I thought that's what the end of Taker's promo was about. "For all those who've fallen... you can Rest in Peace" or something close to that.

Think about this... that promo was so horrendously written that it could have been interpreted as either:

A. Taker retiring

B. Taker not retiring

C. Taker paying tribute to deceased

• Like 2

It's almost like Raw 25 was written to perfectly encapsulate what 25 years of Raw was like in a three hour block of time. So that basically equates to one good segment, one good match, and a ton of bullshit that ranges for bad to "what the fuck" territory.

• Like 4

Manhattan Center got:

-Undertaker possibly retiring,

-one of the hottest acts in the company facing off against the person they’re feuding with,

-the dX reunion/passing the torch moment with Balor Club,

-Balor Club’s match, which led to

-the ceremonial “a bunch of legends hit their finishers” moment, and

-and a couple of exclusive matches/appearances (205Live/Miz appearance).

Outside of the opening and the Universal title confrontation, most of the big moments were in Manhattan.  Anyone with half a brain (so maybe not that clown guy) would have realized they would be paying a ton of money to sit in the Manhattan Center and realistically watch roughly half the show on a video screen. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Anyone with half a brain (so maybe not that clown guy) would have realized they would be paying a ton of money to sit in the Manhattan Center and realistically watch roughly half the show on a video screen. 

Half the show?  I bet it was closer to 75%.  There'd be a lot less complaining if it really was half.

59 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Half the show?  I bet it was closer to 75%.  There'd be a lot less complaining if it really was half.

You’re right.  My point was that a) despite the execution, they actually booked good stuff on paper for Manhattan, and b) at best, they should have only expected 50% of the show to be there (although even that’s probably optimistic given how many people were in Barclay’s compared to Manhattan.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

Manhattan Center got:

-Undertaker possibly retiring,

-one of the hottest acts in the company facing off against the person they’re feuding with,

-the dX reunion/passing the torch moment with Balor Club,

-Balor Club’s match, which led to

-the ceremonial “a bunch of legends hit their finishers” moment, and

-and a couple of exclusive matches/appearances (205Live/Miz appearance).

Outside of the opening and the Universal title confrontation, most of the big moments were in Manhattan.  Anyone with half a brain (so maybe not that clown guy) would have realized they would be paying a ton of money to sit in the Manhattan Center and realistically watch roughly half the show on a video screen. 

And the stuff we didn't get to see (aside from the Miz celebration):

If they wanted to do Cena/Taker at Mania they should have done it a few years ago before Taker became completely immobile.  WM 30 would have been the best place to do that.

Haven't they been planting the seeds of Balor Club being heels?  Them acting like faces here didn't make a bunch of sense, but it's not like DX or any of the other legends were going to let current guys get one over on them.

Ya know, Joe getting hurt really is extending his WWE career some. Dude avoids terrible booking. He wasn't denoted after Summerslam because they're keeping the feud with Cena simmering in the background.

Like at this point they should pencil that shit for SS 2018 and just do squashes for Joe when he's healthy. 

This whole thing with the Undertaker. Look, if they wanted to do something for him to ride out on, they should have hime say he's done and then have Bo Dallas come out and clown him week after week until he agrees to a Wrestlemania match. Then you get the UT entrance, a kick-wham-chokeslam 15 second match, and the whole thing is over. 

On 23/01/2018 at 6:34 AM, Web Conn said:

Broken Hardys was the most cutting edhe thing in wrestling a year and a half ago and the WWE kills in in 5 minutes. It’s a shame. Woken Matt deserves a universial title run. The 7 deities was made for a championship of the universe.

Woken Hardy got defeated, makes perfect sense to me that the next stage of this feud given recent developments is for Matt to go fully Broken once again

Just saw this little tidbit

"PWTorch (via SportsKeeda) reports that one of the reasons the Undertaker’s promo at RAW 25 this past Monday seemed so confusing was because ‘Taker was thrown off by how small the Manhattan Center is."

That has to be one of the stupidest bits of "news" I've ever read. Taker wrestled at the Manhattan Center many times before. He was the main event of the first ever RAW from there. Even so, the guy is a professional and could likely kick out a good promo in a small conference room with 6 other people.