DVDVR Message Board

WWE RAW 25, 22nd January 2018

The Natural

Every time I watch RAW I get this horrible feeling in my mid-to-lower GI, knowing that this is what the most visible and profitable version of my favorite form of performance art looks like week in and out. I see the most talented roster ever assembled and I look at what they have to say/do/look like and I can't get through even one hour of it without having to avert my eyes and cringe.

I know I'm supposed to remember all the good times this show has had but all I can think about is how *I want Vince to die* because I don't know how else the cycle stops. Yes, I'm being dramatic. Internet-sue me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Speaking of which -

I know that they were doing tapings all day at the Manhattan Center before the show started. Any idea what we missed and if it will be shown somewhere?

Don't they usually do Main Event and/or Superstars matches before Raw? Maybe they shot something at the Manhattan Center.

6 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Speaking of which -

I know that they were doing tapings all day at the Manhattan Center before the show started. Any idea what we missed and if it will be shown somewhere?

Don't they usually do Main Event and/or Superstars matches before Raw? Maybe they shot something at the Manhattan Center.

I was expecting at least some sort of angle to come out of this show and we didn't get much beyond nostalgia.  It was cool to see Elias lay out John Cena.  I was hoping the Balor Club would do the same to DX.   At some point these new guys need to be treated like stars.  

It's cool for historical purposes to see say Trish show up and Bayley be all "Oh my god! Trish!"  but at some point Bayley needs to say "who fucking cares,  I'm Bayley!" 

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He's a plague doctor.

Then why does he flap his wings constantly?  I'd wager not many plague doctors did that...

I'm surprised how many people didn't enjoy this.  Im equally surprised how many expected something else.  Like every time they have a special milestone episode it's the same thing: old guys come out in their old outfits for a nostalgia pop, one of the big 6 (Austin, Rock, Foley, HHH, Taker or Cena) beat up Vince or another authority figure, little wrestling and legends beating in young guys.  This isn't a show for guys who discuss wrestling on the Internet, it's for guys who think Austin was the greatest  wrestler ever, chant what at people they don't know, and just really wish they would bring back bra and panties matches  

Btw, if Revival want a better push, they better get in better shape or better outfits. Especially in Vince's company, Dawson's gut hanging out over his tights while ex-wrestlers show up all jacked up is super noticeable. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

They could have had something like Sasha & Charlotte talking to Trish & Lita about main eventing RAW, then casually dropping that they main evented a PPV... inside HIAC... This then prompts Trish & Lita to enter the Rumble and boom! You've turned a 1 minute backstage segment into some character work for all 4 ladies AND dropped a huge announcement to hype all the casual fans tuning in for the event to maybe buy the PPV or sign up for the network to see the women's Rumble.

That does more than whatever that Alexa segment was.

Absolute waste of a show IMO

I mean, the fatal flaw in your plan is that Trish and Lita aren't going to be in the Rumble.

Put me in the "what the hell were you all expecting" camp. This was exactly what a RAW 25th Anniversary show was always going to look like.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EVA said:

I did think it was interesting that they let Jericho wear his Alpha Club shirt.  Or the show was just so busy that nobody had time to even notice.

I think Austin was wearing a pwt shirt as well.

The camera avoiding Cash's middle finger on Elias was fun to watch

Just now, L_W_P said:

Which is fair enough but man... I was expecting them to take advantage of the casual audience that (probably) tuned in for the nostalgia.

Outside of Elias and maaaaybe Strowman, what did they really do tonight that would have people who might have fallen out of love with WWE interested enough to come back and watch again?

You can quibble about if it worked or not but they certainly tried to give the Balor Club a huge rub

• Like 1

Considering the hype for this, I was disappointed but that should be expected after Survivor Series and last year's Rumble. Wish some legends did more than 2 minute cameos. I feel like Raw 15 was more memorable, at least that had a gimmick battle royal and a Hogan segment. I'm hoping since Lita wasn't there, that means she'll be in the Rumble instead. I think Slaughter was the only advertised legend that didn't appear. I liked Undertaker wearing his alternate entrance attire since he left the coat and hat at WM. The Godfather/Henry segment was a hilarious "series finale of a sitcom" moment, "We've just all grown up now.."

Womens tag was fun and Reigns/Miz was really good stuff. Couldn't believe they jobbed out Woken Matt already, that quickly and clean. Ending brawl was weak and rushed. Regardless, always dig seeing the legends. Laughed out loud at Graves suggesting the Whats Up would be called the Dilly Dilly if it was nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Wyatt vs Hardy pissed me off this feud had the coolest buildbof any feud in recent history in WWE and they threw it away on the middle of this Raw by only airing the Finish.

I feel like this was Vince going "I don't get this Matt Hardy thing, let's wrap it up."

Who was the biggest omission/ignored wrestler of the night? I mean, except Benoit of course.  I don't feel like I saw much (any?) Hogan. For a guy who was all over the show for years, I didn't see much Santino. Surprised they didn't have Ambrose drop in for an appearance. Don't think I saw any RVD either. 

Hogan did it to himself. But they should him with the nWo in that opening video package. You think they would have atleast subliminally buried Hogan showing some unflattering moments or something 

Broken Hardys was the most cutting edhe thing in wrestling a year and a half ago and the WWE kills in in 5 minutes. It’s a shame. Woken Matt deserves a universial title run. The 7 deities was made for a championship of the universe.

2 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Hogan did it to himself. 

Oh I completely agree and wasn't feeling sorry for Hogan at all.  Though it's still funny that Hogans bigotry has him erased from the company while Warrior, whom was at least equally bigoted as Hogan, is celebrated as some sort of fallen hero. 

• Like 3