DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame 2018

Casey

Keep in mind that even with all the success AJ had outside of WWE, Vince still didn't see him as a top guy. Hell, Vince didn't even think people would like Sting since Sting wasn't in WWE. In 2005, Vince would have an even lower opinion of AJ. It would take Vince magically changing his mind on AJ like he did with HBK in order for him to have any kind of sustained success. And even then, during that period, I could see AJ getting burned out and leaving for TNA or NJPW or other indies.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Paul London?

London was in WWE from 03 to 08. He had a long run as tag champion and cruiser champ. He had as good a run as a guy his size would in that era. He was also a HBK trainee and they seemed to get a better shot than other indy guys on the smaller side. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

He isn't most of our's cup of tea but isn't the correct answer Kenny Omega (was in Deep South for a year)

Sorry for the digression, but my favorite part about his Deep South stint was that, to hear him tell it (on Jericho's podcast), he never really intended for it to happen in the first place. (Which, among other things, explains why it didn't go well and didn't last long.)

I had went to a camp with Harley Race, which he does once a year. I had gone to a camp for WLW in Missouri. The camp was treated like a competition; the winner of this camp would go to Pro Wrestling NOAH and be inserted into their Dojo system, because going to Japan was the end goal, which is what I really wanted to do because I was a huge fan

I already loved the culture, and wanted to go there as a vacation spot anyway, so it was that intention after I went to Harley Race’s camp to get that experience to head to Japan, kind of like how you [Jericho] had all this prior experience in Mexico and Japan, it just felt like the right way. So, what happened was, as a surprise, Harley introduced the grand prize of the competition, which was Johnny Ace coming out and offering WWE contracts to the camp standout, so even though I was gunning for NOAH, I became the guy who won the contract to sign with WWE.

It's like Hall going in as Razor. Everyone knows the background and he'll get to say whatever he wants for 25 minutes. And the HoF video packages are a kind of advertisement for the network, so it makes sense to frame it that way. 

Is JJ the most current/modern era (i.e. not an Inoki or Fujinami deal) guy that they've put in where they're missing almost two decades of tape on that they don't own? 

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It's like Hall going in as Razor. Everyone knows the background and he'll get to say whatever he wants for 25 minutes. And the HoF video packages are a kind of advertisement for the network, so it makes sense to frame it that way. 

Is JJ the most current/modern era (i.e. not an Inoki or Fujinami deal) guy that they've put in where they're missing almost two decades of tape on that they don't own? 

Plus not owning the Memphis footage. 

On 2/20/2018 at 8:56 AM, Craig H said:

Yeah, we talked about that podcast in another thread, but it is really fascinating to learn of Jeff's whole tenure. I had no idea he left the company that many times or burned Vince that many times. Not only that, but every time he left, they wound up bringing him back with a push. It's crazy to think about. You don't shake Droz's hand and you're fucking RUINED. You may as well as for your release. Go AWOL multiples times and get brought back for multiple title reigns. His dad had some to do with that, but Vince can say no. Hell, he's said no to less.

Seriously though, it's a long listen, but it's maybe one of the best Conrad and Bruce podcasts and this is coming from someone who really doesn't care for Bruce's shtick. 

As for his best matches, he had a great one with Angle in TNA, which isn't that hard to have. It was a hardcore match or something. I just remember being blown away at Jeff being a part of that good of a match. 

The Between the Sheets Podcast covering that week was one of my favorite episodes so far, really good information covering the contract situation and stuff leading to his match with Chyna. It was a busy week overall, I suggest everyone check that out

On 21/02/2018 at 2:45 PM, Matt D said:

If you watch the video package, it's really clear that it's not the person Jeff Jarrett going into the HOF but the character Double J. 

Which is fine. I think Vince genuinely liked that character, and would've been happy keeping Jarrett around as a worker.

I mean his feud with Ramon in 95 was pretty big time. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that was one of the odd ones because by all accounts, Jim was a well like guy by the company, I mean, he was working there forever, they'd have him do appearances all the time and seems to be one of the nicest people in the biz, it's surrpising it took that long.

Since Johnny Sorrow said Jim dresses like a strip club owner, I look forward to what he'll be wear to the HOF ceremony.

Jim should be in the HOF just for his post-wrestling career. The man was a total workhorse for their video department and is about as good an ambassador for the company as you can ask for... I remember him running point when the WWE did a big pre-Rumble event at the South Street Seaport a few years ago and he was super-nice to everyone, even as he was directing traffic for the proceedings.

Happy for Jim, he seems like a great guy. I wonder where he would have been if he had not broke his leg right after he debuted. It seems like he was being set up for a feud with Hogan down the road. 

Him and Tugboat stand as the only two Hogan sidekicks who never betrayed him. 

12 minutes ago, Victator said:

Happy for Jim, he seems like a great guy. I wonder where he would have been if he had not broke his leg right after he debuted. It seems like he was being set up for a feud with Hogan down the road. 

Him and Tugboat stand as the only two Hogan sidekicks who never betrayed him. 

IIRC, Typhoon had a promo where he blamed Hogan for not visiting or writing him while in the hospital for his heel turn.  So he may not have turned heel on Hogan, but it was close.

• Like 2