DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame 2018

Casey

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

He did.

But I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here Matt. Is it just that you love Christian? 

Dude said he thought DDP was more over than Christian but wasn't sure. He was. Done and done.

I’m arguing that he wasn’t more over in the WWE and it’s a fair question, especially since his best WWE feud was against Christian. 

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

He did.

But I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here Matt. Is it just that you love Christian? 

Dude said he thought DDP was more over than Christian but wasn't sure. He was. Done and done.

Christian’s missile drop kick > Diamond Cutter.

Mainly, people need to stop looking at the WWE HoF as if it has any sort of legitimacy and that anyone deserves to get in or doesn't. DDP made sense to go in since he has a good story, was memorable, has had a great, clean, partially mainstream post-wrestling career. He's fairly well-spoken with a catch phrase or two. To put Christian in would highlight the fact his career ended early due to concussions, which is different than Edge's neck injury. There's no reason to rush it. He's not going anywhere. 

The WWE HoF is a PR tool. And that's fine. It's interesting to look at it as a PR Tool because there is sort of consistency to it. You can make a good enough argument for Koko and then sort of gauge things based on that. Then, sometimes, there's absolutely bonkers stuff, like putting the Godfather in AS the Godfather. Just nuts, but that's WWE for you. Vince probably couldn't see why it was nuts no matter how mainstream and legitimate they might be trying to make Steph through charity work. 

The best person to get in is someone who is clean, evokes some nostalgic feelings, and has a good PR angle. Like, Tatanka has the native american angle, evokes memories, but has an alleged rape on his record from 1994. Maybe not the best choice. It works with the dead guys too. Bigelow is memorable, has a pretty good angle with the "rescued 3 kids from a burning house" story, but he died of a drug overdose, so who knows. He might still go in this year because there's enough distance. 

• Like 1

It would have been nicely meta (and Kayfabe busting) to induct Wright as all his characters (Shango, Kama, godfather, goodfather, ...). Then it’s at least a career achievement deal, even if he is “unworthy” by smark standards. 

• Like 1

I liked DDP's induction as he bacame a big face in WCW battling the n.W.o, gave Goldberg his best ever match at Halloween Havoc 1997, the Diamond Cutter with the ways DDP hit it and above all, what he did for Jake Roberts and Scott Hall. Shame about his WWF run in 2001.

Christian's always played second fiddle to Edge, it took ages for Christian to win a World Title. Christian's first ended on the post Extreme Rules 2011 Smackdown and his second reign was a month long as well. Christian's time will hopefully come, for me he should be in as of a few years ago.

Per the newest WON (though I saw it in a few other places yesterday too)

There have been reports going around about Jeff Jarrett being offered a spot in this year’s WWE Hall of Fame. While not confirmed, there was a list of names a few weeks ago under consideration and he was on the list.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There have been reports going around about Jeff Jarrett being offered a spot in this year’s WWE Hall of Fame. While not confirmed, there was a list of names a few weeks ago under consideration and he was on the list.

At this point I could see the Young Bucks going in before Jeff does.  And considering his recent issues with alcohol it'd be insanity to put him in anytime soon.  Maybe Jerry Jarrett but certainly not Jeff.

re: Miss Elizabeth.   didn't she win the 'smashing crumpet' tournament we did a few years ago?  that's all the credentials she needs.

with WWE sponsoring Jarrett's recent rehab stint, i could see them putting him in sooner rather than later.  if wwe had also acquired the tna video library, it would be even less of a surprise.

christian also won the NWA title. it won't get mentioned on wwe tv, but it still is an accomplishment.

as far as Japanese inductions, Great Muta or Jushin Liger would be my picks

Just to ring in late on the DDP/Christian debate:

DDP got over despite looking and dressing like a homeless person.

Christian got over despite a stint playing vampire. 

Edge: Christian 

Oh, see what I did there?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tbarrie said:

She got squashed by Trish like everyone else.

Trish was obviously hot, but Elizabeth a different kind of beauty. She had elegance. I think Bret said it on his dvd set when talking about his deceased contemporaries; Elizabeth always seemed like she was too good for wrestling.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 9:00 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I doubt it. Brody's murder would have to be addressed in some way, and I don't think WWE would want to touch that.

They could totally gloss over that if they wanted to. Just say he died in Puerto Rico and not get any deeper into it.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:09 PM, Brian Fowler said:

The answer is always "maybe, depends on Vince"

Pretty much this. Prichard said that every year, the booking committee and a couple of other people would just submit a list of names and basically Vince just gives a thumbs up or thumbs down. It's not exactly some sort of scientific process.

23 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Pretty much this. Prichard said that every year, the booking committee and a couple of other people would just submit a list of names and basically Vince just gives a thumbs up or thumbs down. It's not exactly some sort of scientific process.

which works since it's not really a real Hall of Fame

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trish was obviously hot, but Elizabeth a different kind of beauty. She had elegance. I think Bret said it on his dvd set when talking about his deceased contemporaries; Elizabeth always seemed like she was too good for wrestling.

Hey, I wasn't expressing my own opinion, just reporting what happened in the tourney. I was pretty surprised the Trish-Elizabeth matchup was so lopsided.