DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2018.

The Natural

On 1/23/2018 at 11:03 AM, Contentious C said:

And yet still beat Kubo and the Two Strings for the Animated award, despite Kubo being miles better.

If Kubo is miles better, why can't it be up for Best Picture?

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

They do seem to get quicker and have less clips every year.

This year’s might’ve had to do with the length of Vedder’s Petty cover. 

That was a pretty good show though. It was pretty goddamn long as well. 

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

Predictions:

Best Picture: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Best Director: Guillermo del Toro.

Best Actor: Gary Oldman.

Best Actress: Frances McDormand.

Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell.

Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney.

Best Animated Feature: Coco.

Just missed Best Picture. I thought it was between Shape of Water and Three Billboards.

Glad Roger Deakins has finally won for best cinematography. Should have a number of them.

48 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If Kubo is miles better, why can't it be up for Best Picture?

Because the academy only nominates animated films when they are forced to pick a tenth unless it's Beauty and the Beast.

Very happy for GDT for the huge haul, but I feel these are the awards he should've received for either Pan's Labrynth, Cronos, or The Devil's Backbone.

Jordan Peele received the award for Best Original Screenplay so that the didn't leave empty handed.

Bummed that Logan did not win for Best Adopted Screenplay.

7 minutes ago, peterien said:

Gary Oldman wasn’t even the best performance in The Darkest Hour. 

I read an article at Slate that put forth the premise that there should be a Best Ensemble award so that it frees up room in the Best Actor / Actress fields for truly great single performance. 

Immediately, The Darkest Hour and Three Billboards sprang to mind as contenders for that particular statue.  How great would Francis McDormand's performance have been without Woody Harrelson being king sized and playing the perfect foil to her own character?

Secret best part of the show last night was Woody Harrelson having the time of his life in the front row. When Kimmel was introducing the orchestra conductor, Woody was looking up at him like he couldn't believe that the Jimmy Kimmel was standing so close to him.

Just want to make the point that imo, one thing that can make a movie great is for it to do something unexpected and challenge your way of thinking.  Yet all I'm seeing, mostly on Twitter, is flat rejections of movies by people who ran into something challenging.  "lol she fucked a fish", "lol racist cops don't deserve redemptive storylines".  What I liked most about Call Me By Your Name, for instance, was what I found most surprising and contrary to my way of thinking (specifically, that the parents were ok with that kind of age difference in the relationship).

Just my opinion.  Of course you are allowed to dislike any of the Best Picture nominees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I read an article at Slate that put forth the premise that there should be a Best Ensemble award so that it frees up room in the Best Actor / Actress fields for truly great single performance. 

Immediately, The Darkest Hour and Three Billboards sprang to mind as contenders for that particular statue.  How great would Francis McDormand's performance have been without Woody Harrelson being king sized and playing the perfect foil to her own character?

Ensemble would be a good award, and I've also felt there should be a Most Outstanding award for individuals to cover a body of work over a calendar year. So someone like RDJ in 2008 (Iron Man & Tropic Thunder) would win, while someone like Sandra Bullock in 2009 would not, since you probably shouldn't have a year where you win an Oscar & a Razzie if you really deserve the Oscar.

This would have also cleared Winslet & Dicaprio off the "haven't won" list long before they got there, among others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ace said:

And if he wins another Oscar, he'll get the Triple EGOT.

Speaking of EGOTs

I feel like there is a chance Allison Janney could get one. She is 1/2 way there now. She has been nominated for Tonys before so I almost feel like if she does Broadway again she will win.

Just not sure how she will get the Grammy

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of EGOTs

I feel like there is a chance Allison Janney could get one. She is 1/2 way there now. She has been nominated for Tonys before so I almost feel like if she does Broadway again she will win.

Just not sure how she will get the Grammy

Doing an Audiobook would qualify for Best Spoken Word Album.

12 hours ago, Ace said:

And if he wins another Oscar, he'll get the Triple EGOT.

I thought he only had two Emmys?

Anyway he's only like 43, he might as well shoot fur a quad.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah that seems to be the go to method.

Either that or somehow get one for Comedy or Kids Album

Looking at the list of actors/actresses who got the EGOT all of them did it that way (unless that album Rita Moreno won her Grammy for was a music album, Wikipedia is not clear on that).