DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2018.

The Natural

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Young Frankenstein got 2 Oscar nominations. 

Not horror.

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and duh... Sixth Sense.

Easy to forget since few people remember when M. Night made really good movies.

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Best Animated Feature is a shit category anyway and all it does is keep animated films out of the Best Picture category, despite Zootopia being one of the best reviewed and acclaimed movies of 2016.

We will not discuss the whole Academy Hates All Animation deal since I am still angry about Andy Serkis never getting a Best Supporting Actor's nom for any of the Planet Of The Apes reboot films or for any of the Lord Of The Rings movies or Robin Williams not getting a Best Supporting Actor nom for Aladdin.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Best Animated Feature is a shit category anyway and all it does is keep animated films out of the Best Picture category, despite Zootopia being one of the best reviewed and acclaimed movies of 2016.

And yet still beat Kubo and the Two Strings for the Animated award, despite Kubo being miles better.

Oddly, there have actually been more animated films nominated for best picture since they started the animated category (2) then there were in the 70ish years before that (1).*

I don't think there's any evidence the category prevents nominations. It just allows them to recognise movies that otherwise always got overlooked everywhere except song.

*I think it's much more telling that of the three years an animated film got nominated, two of them were during the two years that the academy decided to have ten nominees in best picture instead of five. They then backed off to having anywhere between five and then depending on votes. Which almost every year has resulted in nine nominees. 

Crazy that Get Out got a Best Picture nom and it came out in February. I don't think a movie has ever won that came out that early in the year. The earliest I can remember was Gladiator winning Best Pic and it came out in May of that year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The big deviation I can remember is Silence of the Lambs being realeased in mid February of 91 and sweeping the 92 Oscars over a year later.

Deadpool came out in February 2016 and won a couple of People's Choice awards and made a hefty sum at the Box Office.

Black Panther is poised to do huge business when it comes out next month and will probably also win a few awards later on.

I remember when only crappy horror movies came out in January and February and the box office was usually dominated by the Oscar Bait films that came out from late October to mid December.

On 1/23/2018 at 3:05 PM, odessasteps said:

Second year in a row I haven’t seen any of the best picture noms. 

Just Dunkirk and Get Out for me.

On 1/23/2018 at 6:07 PM, Curt McGirt said:

This is incredibly stupid, re: Let the Right One In

And yeah I forgot about Misery. Silence was the year after so I was only thinking back to '91 too. 

Incredibly stupid is right. If I had my way, Let the Right One In would be a Best Picture nominee.

On 1/23/2018 at 6:09 PM, Ace said:

I'm guessing you're under 30. Just based on connecting Laurie Metcalf to BBT rather than Roseanne.

I wish. I hardly watch TV shows.

On 1/23/2018 at 6:25 PM, TheVileOne said:

WALL-E definitely deserved a Best Picture nomination. Academy really shit the bed in 2009 for films released in 2008.

On 1/23/2018 at 6:36 PM, J.T. said:

We will not discuss the whole Academy Hates All Animation deal since I am still angry about Andy Serkis never getting a Best Supporting Actor's nom for any of the Planet Of The Apes reboot films or for any of the Lord Of The Rings movies or Robin Williams not getting a Best Supporting Actor nom for Aladdin.

This.

I just realized that no one in the Best Director category has won an Oscar before. Not surprising in most cases (Peele and Gerwig are first time directors; GDT and Nolan are genre guys), but PT Anderson seems like he’d have a win under his belt at this point.

Definitely the most interesting category this year.

• Like 2

There's literally only one thing I care about for the Oscars this year: Roger Deakins finally getting one with his 14th nomination.

I mean, I won't actually believe he's won it until a couple minutes after they hand a statue to him, but that's my only real rooting interest.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2018 at 2:17 AM, Control said:

I just realized that no one in the Best Director category has won an Oscar before. Not surprising in most cases (Peele and Gerwig are first time directors; GDT and Nolan are genre guys), but PT Anderson seems like he’d have a win under his belt at this point.

Definitely the most interesting category this year.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:59 AM, Brian Fowler said:

There's literally only one thing I care about for the Oscars this year: Roger Deakins finally getting one with his 14th nomination.

I mean, I won't actually believe he's won it until a couple minutes after they hand a statue to him, but that's my only real rooting interest.

Yeah, these are the categories of most interest for me. Christopher Nolan should have one or two already and Roger Deakins even more. Amazing Deakins is 0-14. Wrong that.

• 3 weeks later...

Predictions:

Best Picture: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Best Director: Guillermo del Toro.

Best Actor: Gary Oldman.

Best Actress: Frances McDormand.

Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell.

Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney.

Best Animated Feature: Coco.

I still can't believe I've seen seven of the nine Best Picture nominees and still don't have a strong opinion about what deserves to win. If I had a ballot, I'd probably go Phantom Thread. So I won't be getting what I want. Among the favourites, hopefully Three Billboards or Get Out. Shape of Water was damn good, but I've got it a tick behind the others I've mentioned. 

To clarify, the two I've yet to see are Call Me By Your Name and Ladybird. I'm sure both are very good at being the things they are. They certainly can't be worse than The Post, which was Oscar bait bingo. You want a movie about the importance of journalism in the face of a wildly corrupt executive branch? Opt for the shoe-leather and paranoia of All the President's Men over the bloviating self-important executives and senior editors in The Post. Better yet, go for the far superior movie from the same writer that took home the top prize two years ago -- doesn't touch Woodward and Bernstein, but blows away this year's transparent pandering. 

Gary Oldman was good as Churchill, but if they want to give him a lifetime achievement award then just give him a lifetime achievement award.

Anyway,

And you're yearly reminder,

I'm going to hate myself for sitting through this show again.