DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2018.

The Natural

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I don’t know if The Post or Three Billboards have opened here yet. Definitely want to see the latter. 

You also need to go and see The Shape of Water.

When the globes nominations came out, my wife didn't know what The Shape of Water was and when I described it she screamed, "What are you saying to me?!" I don't know if she ever watched a trailer, so she might still think I'm pulling her leg. She adores Pan's Labyrinth, so I'll probably be able to get her to check it out. 

15 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I still say, I liked The Shape of Water better, when it was called Splash

No.  It is awesome because it is the version of Creature From The Black Lagoon where the Gill Man and Julie Adams live happily ever after. 

Famous_Actress_Who_Later_Portrayed_an_FD

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Christopher Plummer getting a nomination for 2 weeks of work is amusing. 

I still say, I liked The Shape of Water better, when it was called Splash

Yeah - this was fucking mind blowing to me

He basically air dropped into a nomination

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I thought the Razzies were for bad movies, not misunderstood ones?  Transformers:  The Last Knight rightfully leads in Razzie noms this year.

The only way Lego Batman will win an Oscar is through Best Song, I'm afraid.   The Best Animated Feature award is Coco's to win or lose, and there is a good chance it may take Best Song, too..

This is Me (heck the entire Greatest Showman soundtrack) is HUGE right now. I wouldn't hand Coco any song wins right away

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is Me (heck the entire Greatest Showman soundtrack) is HUGE right now. I wouldn't hand Coco any song wins right away

Yes, my kid replaced Hamilton with the Greatest Showman soundtrack on her Slacker Radio playlist.

Yeah - my wife is listening to it non-stop.

I keep asking her if she actually wants to see the movie but she is torn because she feels like she supporting the terribleness of the real PT Barnum

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - my wife is listening to it non-stop.

I keep asking her if she actually wants to see the movie but she is torn because she feels like she supporting the terribleness of the real PT Barnum

My boo hasn't figured out if she wants to go see the movie because she is torn between supporting Zendaya's career vs. supporting the terribleness of the real PT Barnum.

The film is so damn ahistorical that just about the only thing that Jackman's Barnum shares with the actual PT Barnum is the name. See it for Zendaya. She does some of the best acting in it anyways.

Boss Baby got in over Lego Batman?! What the fuck?! Boss Baby is such a fucked up and weird piece of shit animated movie. It makes so little sense. I sat there watching that movie with my daughter wonder just how lazy the writing could actually be for the movie to be that incoherent. At the end of it, my daughter and I both didn't like it. Lego Batman wasn't just a great Batman movie, but it was also a really good movie about family.

Looking at the best picture list, man, it's tough to pick out a clear cut winner. I haven't seen each of those movies and I'm hopefully seeing 3 Billboards soon, but that's a tight race. I'm happy to see Get Out nominated though. I almost want it to win just for how wild it is. Just about everyone I talked to said they didn't see any of the stuff that happens in the movie coming. It's almost like the conversations I had about the Cabin in the Woods. In addition, you have this excellent commentary on race. I'm not sure it wins even though I want it to, but I'm happy it was even nominated.

• Like 1

Logan got a nom for Best Adopted Screenplay.  I know it probably won't beat out Mudbound, The Disaster Artist, or Call Me By Your Name, but I am still stoked about the recognition.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey, speaking of which, what was the last horror nom in the Oscars that wasn't effects? Let the Right One In for foreign film, maybe? Before that all I can think of is The Silence of the Lambs. 

Kathy Bates wan Best Actress for Misery in 1990, man!  That shit was a big deal.

Before that, I guess you could count Sigourney Weaver (Best Actress nom for Aliens) or Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie getting Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress noms for Carrie.

The Exorcist won for Best Adopted Screenplay and Jaws (opening "shark = monster" can of worms) won Best Editing, Best Sound, and Best Dramatic Score.

This is incredibly stupid, re: Let the Right One In

Despite being an internationally successful film, Let the Right One In was not submitted by Sweden for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. The details surrounding the film's eligibility for the award resulted in some confusion.[68] Being released on 24 October 2008, the film would normally be eligible for submission for the 82nd Academy Awards. However, the producers decided to release it on 24 September as a seven-day limited run only in Luleå. This would be exactly enough to meet the criteria for the 81st Academy Awards instead.[68] When the Swedish Film Institute on 16 September announced that Jan Troell's Everlasting Moments had been selected instead of Let the Right One In, the Luleå screenings were cancelled. Despite the fact that the film was released within the eligibility period for the 82nd Academy Awards, it wasn't among the films considered because the Swedish Film Institute doesn't allow a film to be considered twice.[68]

And yeah I forgot about Misery. Silence was the year after so I was only thinking back to '91 too. 

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Chuckling Sheldon's Mum, Mary in The Big Bang Theory, Laurie Metcalf  is up for Best Supporting Actress.

I'm guessing you're under 30. Just based on connecting Laurie Metcalf to BBT rather than Roseanne.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

And yeah I forgot about Misery. Silence was the year after so I was only thinking back to '91 too. 

If you want to go way far back, other horror movies that got noms or won Oscars in categories other than FX include Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1932), Rosemary's Baby (1969), and Kwaidan (1964). 

And yes, much to the horror of evangelical Christians, The Omen (1976) won for Best Original Score for Ave Satani aka Hail Satan.

When I was a kid, I vaguely remember Pat Robertson going apeshit on The 700 Club the next day after The Omen won an Academy Award for a song about Lucifer.