DVDVR Message Board

Thank you, Paige

OSJ

I poked around and didn't see anything else on this, so here we go... 

In what can only be described as tragic after the year she just had when everything was finally starting to look up, Paige suffered what has been described as a "career-ending injury" in her RAW match with Sasha Banks. Neither woman appeared to be at fault, it was just one of those things, unfortunately it was one of those things that is being compared to the stinger that took Edge out of in-ring competition.  A twelve-year veteran at only 25, Paige's hard-hitting UK style helped to usher in the omens' revolution in pro-wrestling in the United States. Without her, it's quite possible that Sasha, Becky Lynch, Charlotte and other mainstays of the company might still be working the indies. 25 is awfully damn young to have your chosen career taken away, let's all hope that acting is kinder to her, she certainly has the acting chops to make it on either the big or small screen. Thank you, Paige!

Edge wasn't retired due to a stinger, he retired because he has spinal stenosis.

Regarding Paige, it was already discussed in the general wrestling discussion, but she was going to have to retire sooner rather than later. She can't turn her head in one direction at all, she can barely turn her head in the other direction, and WWE's doctors told her when she returned that she would need to retire, but they let her keep wrestling.

It wasn't a very hard kick I think this was just something that was going to happen sooner than later.  I feel for her but she could definitely do some manager work or possibly commentary somewhere. It's a shame that Paige and probably Emma will both be glossed over in the history books. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Edge wasn't retired due to a stinger, he retired because he has spinal stenosis.

Regarding Paige, it was already discussed in the general wrestling discussion, but she was going to have to retire sooner rather than later. She can't turn her head in one direction at all, she can barely turn her head in the other direction, and WWE's doctors told her when she returned that she would need to retire, but they let her keep wrestling.

Re Edge: I should have looked it up. 

Yeah, we've discussed it before, but for whatever reason the WWE doctors cleared her for this last run. In hindsight, that seems pretty irresponsible, but patients lie to their doctors all the damn time. Am I saying that a 25 year-old about to lose career minimized how bad their mobility issues were? No, not me... Would it surprise me? Not in the slightest. Would I do the same thing at that age? In a New York minute, hell, I'm paying now for stupid shit I did when I was 35, I shudder to think about some of the stuff a decade earlier...

I really feel bad for her, and I hope she has a support group that will be with her and help her through this.  She's already been through so much.  She did make mistakes, but she was a young woman who became a globally renowned superstar basically right as she turned 20. I can't say I would've handled it any better if I were in her position.  

As far as the spot goes, it looked like it was some miscommunication.  But then it seems there's also evidence that Paige probably shouldn't have been back in the ring either.  IMHO, I think there could definitely be more regulation in terms of getting the Superstars checked out and making sure they are truly ready to be working in the ring.  It just seems like all these physical and concussion tests are inherently flawed and have tons of holes in them.  Not to mention, these guys have to work so many days out of the year, it's no wonder their bodies are falling apart. It's not just about how they are working. 

I think if WWE stick by her ala Graves and get her into a backstage/non wrestling TV role she can contribute. She's got the experience to help out as an agent/in time wouldn't make a bad commentator or backstage personality.

I mean she could probably do a decent job of being a female Graves/King - commentator who sporadically has in ring segments. 

• Like 1

I think the right thing to do for Paige is keep her on in some capacity if she can't work in the ring anymore.  Give her a Corey Graves role if she's up for it.  No matter what happens, I just don't want her life to become another wrestling tragedy.

It's kinda amusing they decided to give Paige a faction and a decent push even though they had at least some idea what condition her neck was in.  

Can't turn your head and have a neck injury that will eventually push you into retirement = let's push you.

Being short, having a brother that criticizes the company, or Vince commenting that you are funny looking = NO PUSH FOR YOU.

Good to know.

I'm frequently at a loss to understand how this company became so successful.

3 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I'm frequently at a loss to understand how this company became so successful.

Its competition has always somehow managed to be worse.

the WWE has never outrun the lion; it's just outrun the other guy the lion was chasing.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 12:14 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's a shame that Paige and probably Emma will both be glossed over in the history books. 

I can't see that happening, and given she has to retire it's possibly more important than ever they remind people just how big a role they had in this.

I am guilty of turning against her when things went south, but the reality is that I feel really bad for her.  Having to retire at 25 is awful no matter how long somebody's been doing this.  She has her whole life ahead of her and I hope she finds something that's equally as fulfilling.

I mean, she'll be wrestling UK indies in a few years. I find it curious that WWE IMMEDIATELY after this declared they'll never clear her again. 

I mean, she should probably be done with that neck but she'll wrestle again, most likely. 

Interesting what-if WWE career, though. Should have been bigger but came along a little bit too soon and, by and large, flopped on the main roster.

If Bryan is gone at the end of his deal then they could do worse than having Paige replace him as the GM of SmackDown. Keeps her in the loop, would help put more focus on the SDL women and maybe push for more of a female main event role. I could see Paige's character booking women's title main events on PPV for sure.

10 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I mean, she'll be wrestling UK indies in a few years. I find it curious that WWE IMMEDIATELY after this declared they'll never clear her again. 

I mean, she should probably be done with that neck but she'll wrestle again, most likely. 

Interesting what-if WWE career, though. Should have been bigger but came along a little bit too soon and, by and large, flopped on the main roster.

For her sake I'm hoping WWE keeps her as long as possible, don't have much confidence in her doing fine without them.

As for her career NXT and early main roster were full of so much promise.  Her anti-diva bit was refreshing and a welcome change of pace.  Pairing her with and against AJ made perfect sense, but it seemed after AJ left that they didn't much of anything for her.  I think what also hurt is that she went from anti-diva to basically becoming one with her change in appearance and how she was portrayed on Total Divas.  It just seemed no matter what she tried to evolve she was lost in the shuffle and her suspension wasn't seen as a huge loss.  I give her credit for getting her shit together after her time with ADR, but hope she can maintain some sense of stability given what's going on.

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

They should just have a token TV spot for "person who can no longer wrestle but we can't release from their contract."

Give it to DB. When he leaves in september, Paige can be it. 

That used to be "manager" but they've got this weird disdain for this tried and true role. Not that I think Paige would be a great one or anything, but if they're going to keep piling up 20 or 30 something "retirees" they really ought to reconsider that.

• Like 1

If Paige keeps it together after her retirement,  she could be a good counselor or teacher at the PC in one of the non-wrestling courses they were supposed to be drumming up to help the wrestlers learn to manage the lifestyle. Her experience and advice on being very young and on the road in that environment could be very valuable. 

• Like 1

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but keeping Paige around as GM as a way to keep her on board is an incredibly bad idea -she has never shown any ability to handle such a role.  

Manager or PC coach seems like a much better option, or she would probably run circles around Lita when they need a go-to female commentator, because almost anyone would. 

20 minutes ago, (BP) said:

If Paige keeps it together after her retirement,  she could be a good counselor or teacher at the PC in one of the non-wrestling courses they were supposed to be drumming up to help the wrestlers learn to manage the lifestyle. Her experience and advice on being very young and on the road in that environment could be very valuable. 

VwKnQ5H.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...