DVDVR Message Board

Raw 9-16-13

MGFanJay

What an awesome episode of Raw. Everything was clicking. It seems like HHH, Steph, and/or the writing staff are Game of Thrones fans because this angle feels very Game of Thrones-ish.

Big Show is Sansa?

If this turns into some insult towards Sansa, so help me I will internet pout so hard.

• Like 1

Only problem I see with this angle now is there are three people/groups who really need to get revenge on Trips/Randy/Shield guys. The Rhodes family, Show, and Bryan.

Give me Bryan/Cody/Dustin/Big Show vs Orton & The Shield in a Wargames/Hell In A Cell match and I'm happy....the buildup really paid off on tonights show

All that end sequence showed me is that Mark Henry and Titus Young would have handled it on their own. Shameful lack of Big Mark, especially after Piranesi tried to hint at his return on twitter.

That was about the HHH DVD commercial.  From the advert it looks like 8 hours of him laughing and shitting on indy nerds. 

• Like 1

Very good open to RAW with a loud reception for D-Bryan, Big Show punching out Dusty Rhodes and catching him before he fell, Daniel Bryan vs. Roman Reigns and the highlight of the show, the ending as the faces stand up to Triple H and help Bryan against The Shield.

All that end sequence showed me is that Mark Henry and Titus Young would have handled it on their own. Shameful lack of Big Mark, especially after Piranesi tried to hint at his return on twitter.

That was about the HHH DVD commercial.  From the advert it looks like 8 hours of him laughing and shitting on indy nerds. 

All I want for Christmas is for wigs to be split.

• Like 1

Yeah, RAW fucking ruled tonight. The PPV wasn't great, not as shitty as some go on about while watching it on a split screen with the sound off and watching other wrestling, but definitely not fantastic. But RAW fucking owned it tonight.

Matt is not the enemy pal, don't let your focus slip from Phantom Lord and his cronies.

I'm trying to think of other scenes where a guy is crying "I'm so sorry" as he's like killing someone other than RESERVOIR DOGS.

There's Homer eating his pet Lobster

Maybe Buffy killing Angel?

That scene in THE KILLER when Chow Yun-Fat Harvey Keitels that guy in the church.

That guy killing the prostitute in Se7en?

I know there have to be more but googling "movie where dude kills friend while apologizing" is not working at all.

Yeah, RAW fucking ruled tonight. The PPV wasn't great, not as shitty as some go on about while watching it on a split screen with the sound off and watching other wrestling, but definitely not fantastic. But RAW fucking owned it tonight.

Matt is not the enemy pal, don't let your focus slip from Phantom Lord and his cronies.

Matt's a guy I consider a friend. It's why I bust his balls when he's being insane. It's a New Jersey thing. You only bust balls and argue with people you like, for the most part.

Anyway that ending, with everyone YESing along with Bryan... they have the star Punk wanted to be right here.

You mean the guy they chanted for to save the supposed "Star"?
You mean the 10 second chant by a few hundred neck beards?You really aren't good at this gimmick, man.
  • Like 2

Fantasy booking:

Let's say they were looking to set up a Wargames match at Battleground, with everything having transpired the way it has until this very moment, who would you put in a 5-on-5 Wargames match? 

Orton/Shield/ - I don't think Triple H will, or should, be putting himself in a match until he faces Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania. If that's the case, who would  take his spot?

Dustin/Cody/Bryan/Big Show/?? - Who would be the best addition for that team? Ziggler? At this point? People have mentioned Dusty, but there is no way WWE is putting old guys in the ring again, especially Big Dust.

Pretty good show. Liked the Orton/Miz segment.. wonder how long Miz will be out. Tag was fun. Kinda surprisingly enjoyed Ambrose/Ziggler, more than last night's match and the first time in eons I wasn't completely turned off by Ziggler. Main event was top notch.. thought Reigns looked real good in there with Bryan and the ending was super fun. Loved the babyface brigade making the save and it being all the guys that Bryan happened to walk by prior to the match. Oh and Dusty's promo of course ruled. Hard Times 2013. Big Show's "I'm sorry, I love you" WMD was amusing. Too bad Dusty couldn't block it with a bionic elbow. Great closing shot of the big faces celebration in the end.

I'm trying to think of other scenes where a guy is crying "I'm so sorry" as he's like killing someone other than RESERVOIR DOGS.

There's Homer eating his pet Lobster

That is one of the funniest scenes in TV history. Its making me laugh just thinking about it.The bit where he breaks his tail and sucks out the meat sobbing.

• Like 1

Well if the McMahon's are the Lannisters, then Show has to be her, right?  Since he's trapped under their power and controlling hm seems to be the key to everything.

Nah, I'm seeing Show more like Sandor Clegane at this point, before he snaps at the Blackwater anyhow.

(God, now I'm thinking about that little turd Joff strutting around with Motorhead playing in the background...)

Anyway that ending, with everyone YESing along with Bryan... they have the star Punk wanted to be right here.

You mean the guy they chanted for to save the supposed "Star"?
You mean the 10 second chant by a few hundred neck beards?You really aren't good at this gimmick, man.

You need to clean your ears. That chant was like a trip back in time to when the fans needed a bad ass A+ face to save the whiny B+ face. Men, women, and children weren't chanting for Daniel Bryan to clear the ring and save himself. Because they damn well know that he can't do it. But they knew in their hearts that a true superstar like Punk can. 

I really can't wait to see when Punk finally saves him. Because I tell you boy when that does happen the WWE will have to make some room for the new #1 in the Top 20 Greatest Crowd Reactions countdown.

So what's the payoff for putting all this heat on Steph? It's not like she's going to eat a KO punch or get put in the Yes Lock. How is she supposed to get her comeuppance?

X-Factor from Brie Mode

Anyway, this was a good Raw, and way better than the ppv last night.

The Armstrong angle was predictable, but they're doing a good job making it look thoroughly phony. I assume he'll come clean at some point and say HHH put him up to it. Not sure if that will be before or after Road Dogg gets beat down by The Shield or eats the crying punch (CKO? Weeping of Mass Destruction? There's gotta be a name for this somewhere...)

The Dusty segment was good, and I'm glad I'm not the first one to point out it was mostly Steph. That Bed Bath and Beyond gift card was so deliciously catty. The payoff would've been better if Show hadn't been crying for weeks, but it still came off as a good kind of pro-wrestling cheese.

AJ continues to own on commentary. It was a probably a blessing that Nattie's headset didn't work, because once she got on air, AJ didn't even need to say anything for her to look bad. Those were some painful lines.

Orton destroying the Miz was subpar. The whole family beatdown thing just doesn't work without blood. It at least needed a punt, because that chair knee drop looked terrible. It did serve a good purpose setting up the closing segment, though.

The main event was a really good effort from Bryan, and Reigns appears to have improved since his last singles outing. Bryan digging out some of the old indy leg work with some especially stiff kicks gave Reigns a good reason to be slow and indecisive on offense, which is the one area for him that looks like it still needs some work. I did like what Reigns did selling as the story of the tenacious little guy overwhelming a lower-ranked big guy was the result of good work from both of them. Bryan on offense is always going to improve any match, and Reigns struck the right balance of looking strong, but still giving Bryan's offense its due. Bryan of course helped Reigns along by rag-dolling for his big catch-and-throw spots. Rollins made sure to let everyone know he's still the king of bumping, though. 

The finish was absolutely perfect and exactly what the angle needs. Reigns' desperation spear on Kofi was hilarious, but also a nice touch to the segment. Orton ran before anyone got to the ring and The Shield went down swinging. Everyone clearing a path for Bryan to obliterate Rollins with the running knee was an awesome visual. It'll be fun to watch The Shield kill some of these jobbers for revenge, but now hopefully there's enough fodder on the face side for Bryan to become the one making saves instead of needing them all the time.