DVDVR Message Board

The Cody Rhodes/YB All In Show Thread

There's no real public transit access to the Sears Center on weekends. As others have pointed out, Hoffman Estates is NOT Chicago. 

Now that I have had a chance to digest this, they could have run Toyota Park in Bridgeview, home of the Chicago Fire. Capacity is 20,000 for soccer, can accommodate many. Hell, they could have sold their magic number and papered the hell out  of the rest of the stadium, while selling a shitload of Bullet Club shirts. Windy Pro Wrestling ran a show or two there when they were still a thing, and the village of Bridgeview would have been receptive to hosting it as they are still in the hole for the facility as a whole.

Weather is nice in September, the venue is fairly close to Midway Airport, and PACE runs a shuttle from Midway to Toyota Park for every event. It would have been an outdoor show, but it's something that could have worked.

• Like 1

Just to post it... (per Pro Wrestling Sheet)

The Young Bucks and Cody have finally announced the location of their upcoming “All In” event and Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned a wrestling podcast convention will be going down as well.

The self-financed event will take place on September 1 at the Sears Centre in Chicago,  Illinois — which has a capacity of 11,800 people — the group announced on Being the Elite this week via video from “Arrow” star Stephen Amell.

According to sources, there will also be a wrestling podcast convention attached to the event that will feature live podcast sessions with many of the top names in wrestling podcasting, as well as legends signings and several official “weigh-ins” for “All In.”

Additional talent already announced for the event include: Kenny Omega, Marty Scurll, Hangman Page and Tessa Blanchard. Flip Gordon still isn’t booked (yet).

“All In” will take place on September 1st.

42 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

There's no real public transit access to the Sears Center on weekends. As others have pointed out, Hoffman Estates is NOT Chicago. 

Now that I have had a chance to digest this, they could have run Toyota Park in Bridgeview, home of the Chicago Fire. Capacity is 20,000 for soccer, can accommodate many. Hell, they could have sold their magic number and papered the hell out  of the rest of the stadium, while selling a shitload of Bullet Club shirts. Windy Pro Wrestling ran a show or two there when they were still a thing, and the village of Bridgeview would have been receptive to hosting it as they are still in the hole for the facility as a whole.

Weather is nice in September, the venue is fairly close to Midway Airport, and PACE runs a shuttle from Midway to Toyota Park for every event. It would have been an outdoor show, but it's something that could have worked.

Hell, Hoffman Estates isn't even fully in Cook. 

I'm guessing the All State Arena was way too expensive to run. The Sears Center is...whatever. Basically, few places come close to doing what the Arena does for wrestling. Sears Center doesn't come close, but it will at least be a lively crowd. 

With regards to public transit access, yeah, you're not taking a train there, but there's hotels in the area and an Uber or Lyft will probably be between $10 and $15. Going back to the hotel may be even less because you'll probably be able to get the Uber or Lyft where you share it with other riders. The other thing that sucks is that I don't think there's many places right around the Sears Center to just go and chill at before the show or after. Nothing comes to mind anyway. There's some chain restaurants, but that's a car ride away.

The key part of this is the convention aspect. Making this a festival will do a lot to draw in people.

That said, what the fuck do you main event this show with? I think you need a hot match/angle on top. Not sure a BC comedy match does the trick. Would an Omega vs Cody gimmick blowoff work? Loser Leaves the Bullet Club? The fact that NJPW/ROH are getting the first meetings out of the way in the next month makes it likelier than they can run something big at All In? Golden Lovers vs Bucks in a ladder match? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

The convention aspect is great and all but there's another wrestling convention happening at the exact same time in Vegas (the Lucha Expo)

At first glance that has an almost completely different audience though?

On 2/12/2018 at 7:11 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Isn't the guy he's rumored to be fighting pretty much on his same level of awful?

Part-time comic book writer with lots of tattoos who hangs at Planet Fitness, Hot Topic, and the LCS?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Part-time comic book writer with lots of tattoos who hangs at Planet Fitness, Hot Topic, and the LCS?

God, for the last time, CM Punk is retired. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I dunno man I consider wrestling wrestling no matter the origin/style and wouldn't put it past All In to try and score some LU talent for the show, because it would be smart and they should.

Undoubtedly. I have seen what random Lucha shows draw here in CA, why wouldn't they want to tap that market? Wasn't Chicago one of the AAA US towns? I'm going to a lucha show next Saturday in the city that can afford to fly in Jushin Liger. They would be hella dumb not to try to get some big names to help pop sales.

Fenix and Pentagon both held titles in AAW which runs the same area.  They'd definitely be over in front of that crowd and as they're hot properties in the indy scene in general it would make sense to try and get them on the show.