DVDVR Message Board

The Cody Rhodes/YB All In Show Thread

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, Sublime said:

I was thinking of ordering this but idk if I'm willing to pay 40 bucks for it. The final card is going to have to look real good to get me back on board. If it was half that it would be an easy decision for me.

Same, just on principle.  Lost In NY was $14!

Interesting little note that was in the WON update

Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks are the guests on today’s episode of Talk is Jericho, with the interview having been taped in June. Chris Jericho said he told Vince McMahon about All In a few months ago, and Vince replied that he wishes they would have called him because September (when the show is being held) is the worst time of the year to promote.

Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks are the guests on today’s episode of Talk is Jericho, with the interview having been taped in June. Chris Jericho said he told Vince McMahon about All In a few months ago, and Vince replied that he wishes they would have called him because September (when the show is being held) is the worst time of the year to promote. 

"And tell them to see if that Hogan kid out of Tampa is free!  I hear he really packs em in!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

More proof Vince will never change. He's permanently stuck in the past. No month is a terrible month to promote if you give people something they actually want to see.

That was my first impression as well.  Old promoter bullshit masquerading as "conventional wisdom."  It reminds me of the story Meltzer tells about, I believe, Sam Muschnick.  Essentially Mushnick, or some other old time promoter, told Dave that promoters will have a million excuses why a show didn't draw.  The weather was too bad.  The weather was too good.  The state fair was in town.  There was a high school football championship game two towns over.  Whatever.  The truth is you put on a show that your audience didn't care to buy a ticket for.

Yeah, September is a just conventionally soft month, nothing they can do about that.  No way is it because WWE goes on cruise control in the period between Summerslam and Royal Rumble.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That was my first impression as well.  Old promoter bullshit masquerading as "conventional wisdom."  It reminds me of the story Meltzer tells about, I believe, Sam Muschnick.  Essentially Mushnick, or some other old time promoter, told Dave that promoters will have a million excuses why a show didn't draw.  The weather was too bad.  The weather was too good.  The state fair was in town.  There was a high school football championship game two towns over.  Whatever.  The truth is you put on a show that your audience didn't care to buy a ticket for.

Yeah, September is a just conventionally soft month, nothing they can do about that.  No way is it because WWE goes on cruise control in the period between Summerslam and Royal Rumble.

I thought that story was about Paul Boesch. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I thought that story was about Paul Boesch. 

You might be right.  I get them mixed up.  That's why I gave myself an out ("or some other old time promoter") :)

39 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

So we're all just assuming that the most successful promoter in the history of the business doesn't know what he's talking about? 

"Past performance does not indicate future results"

• Like 3

September probably is a hard month to promote to certain groups of customers especially families and college students people. It's after the end of summer so most families are acclimating back to the school year and recovering financially from summer vacation(s). College students are still settling back into college life (at least those that don't take summer classes some of them might still exist) and recovering from having to buy text books and security deposits if they live off campus. So there is some wisdom there but the All In live audience is probably majority late 20's to early 30's Bullet Club bros who have disposable income or don't care about going into debt/are fiscally irresponsible so the advice really wouldn't have mattered.

I think data would probably show there was a dip in the territory era in business in the fall when school starts and you have competition from things like football. The place that might not be true is the AWA, where the business skewed highest in the winter 

10 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This decade’s “CM Punk is going to be a jobber on Velocity.”

I enjoyed the revolving door of wrestlers (Nick Aldis, Jack Swagger, ZSJ) telling Marty how screwed he’s going to be in the match against Okada.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be mad if he won the battle royal and got the ROH title match.  Don't know if I'd have him win but either way if he takes part then that would be quite a moment.  If he does take part then I hope they don't announce it beforehand for the surprise factor.

• Like 1